What do I really need?

Options
I'm a SAHM & live in the boonies (I have 1 gym option and it's a longish drive to town & the memberships are hugely $$$$ so not an option until I go back to work!) So far I've been watching calories and exercising at home to Jillian Michaels dvd's & doing c25k and it's working so far (down 20 lbs since starting here) but the more time I spend on mfp the longer my wishlist grows!! I feel like if I just purchase THIS gadget or THAT dvd I will get better results. For example -a hrm - cheapest, decent one I can find online that ships here (i'm in canada) is $109... Is it worth it? I've requested NROL4W from the library but I already know that if i attempt that at home I will need to buy some dumbells/barbell/weights/bench etc... And again all of that is $$$ plus I don't have a whole lot of room to store all of it! I've also thought of getting p90x or chalean or a kettlebell dvd & some kettlebells. And so I don't buy anything b/c I can't decide where to spend my money :-/ So please, Those of you that are getting results at home, please tell me how to get the best bang for my buck & in my limited space! Making the time to do this is hard enough with 2 small kids, but I know that it is important so I'm doing my best! I just need help in getting the right tools!

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You could probably really get by with some serious bodyweight routines for a good while
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    ^ Convict Conditioning
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    There's really nothing wrong with what you are doing. It sounds like you have gadget envy. :)

What kind of results are you looking for that you are not currently getting?

Or is it just that you are bored and want to try something new?
  • Nbassett81
    Options
    I love my weighted hula hoop!! The best part is you can get the kids one too and they can keep you motivated :smile: Just an idea.
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    No need for gadgets. Just a good pair of shoes is all you need.
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I say get a hrm for sure. I started doing so much better after I got mine. I workout at home and do just as good as I did working out in a gym. I use the insanity and chalean dvd's.
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I basically have a few dumbells lying around, a yoga mat and a stationary bike. My stationary bike only cost me 90$ and has wheels, so it's easy to move around. You can get some pretty good deals on kijiji or during store sales.

I would also recommend getting some adjustable dumbells such as the Bowflex (http://www.amazon.ca/Bowflex-SelectTech-Adjustable-Dumbbells-Pair/dp/B001ARYU58/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1351103937&sr=1-2)
    They are expensive but you probably won't need anything else for your strength training. It's certainly an option.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I do home workouts too. When I start to get bored I youtube whatever I feel like doing, like "cardio dance" or "pilates" and there are allways full-length workouts on there. I also have P90X that I got used from craigslist. I don't follow the schedule because I can't make the 1 hour+ time commitment per day but I try to throw in 1 or 2 P90X workouts per week.

I totally understand about wanting everything though! My problem is that I actually went and bought everything :embarassed:
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    ^ Convict Conditioning

This definitely!!! Order it on Amazon. It sounds intimidating but its a great concept and you can get an amazing workout with it.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have:
    handweights (from 3 lbs up to 20 lbs),
    an exercise ball
    yoga mat
    some elastic resistance bands that strap around my ankles (used for outer leg exercises, mostly),
    a chin up bar on the door frame,
    and a jump rope.
    Between those things, I can get various circuit routines together right in my spare bedroom at home. I used to have a gym membership, but I got rid of it and found that doing stuff on my own at home works just fine! :smile:
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    One thing I like is Dailyburn.com (don't know if you can get it in Canada, but you could try). It's around 7.99/month if I remember, and based on your preferences, can deliver a new exercise video to you daily, so you don't get bored. Might be worth checking out...
  • 86rollyb
    86rollyb Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!!! I'll definitely ck some of these things out!! I definitely have gadget envy, lol!