Cruise Preparation

Options
I'm going on a cruise in a few weeks and don't want to totally blow it. I'm 10lbs away from losing a total of 100lbs-woot woot and my goal is to hit that mark by December 1st. Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to keep from going crazy on the food/drinks for 4 days. My plan is to eat lots of fruits and to chose from thier healthier options at evening dining....but that is still going to really test my will-power!! I'm torn on what to do-be carefree or be strict! :-/ Oh and I have to mention-we haven't been on a real vacation in 4 years! We have a 2 year old and a 1 year old-our lives have been consumed!-lol

Replies

• jonibc
    jonibc Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Lucky you! I love cruises. I think the most important thing will be to track your food while you're on the cruise. Practice portion control and make good food choices. Try to scope out the dinner menu ahead of time and plan your meal according to calories contained in each choice. Stay away from sugary drinks. Plus keep your exercise up, whether it's walking the track around the deck or going on active shore excursions. Have fun!
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I am leaving for an 18 day cruise tomorrow, yikes! The good thing is that you are likely to be much more active than normal. Going up to the pool, back to the room, up to the buffett, off of the ship. It may be hard with your little ones but try to avoid the elevators as much as possible and take the stairs. Maybe your DH or traveling companion can take the kids on the elevator while you take the stairs?

Portion sizes are small so order what you want and maybe only eat half of it. Drinks are pricey so that may keep you from ordering too many. Go and have fun and don't stress about it, but don't go to the soft serve machine just because it's "free". Have a great time!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Portion control is key if they do it buffet style, and definitely limit the sugary alcohol drinks, You can try out other drinks that are with diet soda or on the rocks.. but margaritas and that can add up.. Other than that enjoy yourself and when you get back just get right back into the routine.. You haven't been on vacation for 4 years, I would definitely say just enjoy yourself and don't cut out stuff you want to have, just don't have as much of it :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I would just be relatively carefree. No reason to worry about your diet while on vacation, just don't stuff yourself.

It's not like you could undue all your progress in a week. The most damage you could possibly do is a pound or two, in addition to some extra water weight.
  • beachquilt
    beachquilt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I went on a 7 night cruise in September. I didn't gain an ounce! We always took the stairs on the ship - only took elevator 2 times. We went up and down the stairs many times per day. We also walked a mile on the ship several times. I felt like I ate quite a bit - always had dessert at lunch and dinner! On excursion days, we ate a big breakfast and then no lunch. We went dancing several nights and I took a Zumba class twice while onboard. Don't stress about it - enjoy the trip!! If you just don't pig out, drinks lots of water, and keep moving, you should be fine!! Have a great time! We loved our cruise!!!!
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    On our cruise I took the stairs when ever I had the chance. I stuck with a light breakfast, because breakfast wasn't too fancy or "new" foods to try- usually just fruit.

I tried to limit deserts to just tastes of it or half of a desert unless I absolutely loved it. Usually I would just sample my kids desserts :) I had a couple of alcoholic drinks a day, but I'm not a big drinker so I didn't really try to limit myself. At the buffet-again sample stuff. It doesn't have to be a huge serving.

In the end just have fun and don't stress every choice you make on the vacation just aim for balance.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Use the stairs; use the gym; walk around the deck; take advantage of any zumba/aerobic classes; use the pool; dance, dance, dance; join in the deck games; eat most all your meals in the dining room (small courses; ususally low-cal choices; time between courses; order appetizers vs. full meals; eat a rich desert once a day--they're small and you'll work them off; have a taste of high-calorie fare from your partner/family plates); try to avoid grazing the buffet--if you do, stick to healthier fare--load up on fresh cut veggies & salads before you take your entree; stroll around the decks before and after meals; walk through the towns on your stops--participate in active tours while on shore (biking, walking tours, ziplines, horseback riding, snorkling); pick a day to just ENJOY anything and everything you want (the day of formal night is good)--eat, love, laugh, drink, relax and party your butt off to our heart's desire!! Celebrate life! Have a great cruise....but always take the stairs.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm excited for you, we leave in less then 3 weeks for a 7 day cruise. I agree with everyone else, don't stress too much. I have found that I do alot of walking, to and from room and places on the ship and the sightseeing. Take the stairs whenever possible and enjoy some of the activities on board. I plan to enjoy myself and not worry to much, just try not to stuff yourself. Eat little portions and remember if you walk away hungry and still are after 30 minutes to an hour there is more food just around the corner. LOL

Most of all Just ENJOY! Its vacation!
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I've never been on a cruise, but my approach would be to enjoy myself and not sweat the small stuff. Like everyone else said, take the stairs, workout if you have an opportunity, and stay away from sugary drinks -- definitely. Although a margarita or two can't hurt, right? ;-) If you REALLY want something, maybe a specific dessert or some kind of pasta dish at dinner (just examples), have it. Don't deny yourself anything, but also be realistic. Let your hair down and have FUN!!!
  • design_cowgirl
    design_cowgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I can't wait! :)
  • cupcake26
    Options
    I just went on a cruise beginning of october. My nutritionist suggested sticking to the seafood options mostly, so I did that. I didn't feel deprived and I also didn't gain a lot of weight back.

I think theres a lot of salt in the food they prepare, so remember to drink drink drink drink (water, not booze. lol)
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am planning for two cruises. One in 6 weeks with my husband to the Bahamas and a girl's trip in February to Cozumel. I agree with everyone. On previous cruises, I maintained by taking the stairs, dancing every night, taking Salsa classes, and staying active. Enjoy yourself. You know what to do and can get off any extra weight when you get back. Most of all, have fun!!!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I leave Sunday and I plan to enjoy myself. I plan on making smart choices, taking the stairs and staying active. Will I have a Drink of the Day? Yep. Will I have a Warm Chocolate Melting Cake? You bet! But, I won't go overboard, pun intended!, on anything and most of all, I'll have fun! I haven't really gained weight on any of my previous cruises, so it looks like my plan works. :smile:
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Just eat and enjoy yourself. Use the gym. Geesh who wants to go on a cruise stressing about food??