WHY am I STARVING?!?!?!

Options
OK, so I got back on track yesterday, good eating and excercise 20mins cardio and 3 sets 25 crunches on a stability ball... also did lots of outside yard work at the rental, with my Honey....:love:

This morning I'm sooo hungry....
I've had 2 cups of coffee, oatmeal with Raisins, and cinnamon, and some baby carrots already
and I've had 32 oz of pure water..and it's only 11am... and I'm sooo sooo hungry
trying to hold out until lunch at 1pm when it's homeade chili and organic tortilla chips....

Could this be because I just got back on track... this is crazy!!!!

EDIT: I forgot to mention this is how I've been eating before I actually got going in the excercise dept. Yesterday was the first day in MONTHS that i actually got a work out in, and it was a baby one.....

Replies

• shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You are hungry because you havent had much protein at all. You need recovery protein after excercing. I usually do a protein shake before working out or eat egg whites, then do something small after to recover .
    The coffee also makes me hungry and increases my appetite usually. Thats just my 10 cents. been there
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    You are probably starving because you are not even eating 1,000 calories!! I'd be eating my post it notes by now:laugh: Maybe make your breakfast and morning snack larger?? Best of luck:drinker:
  • trachnurse
    Options
    Protein definitely helps with the hunger as the previous poster said, but also, do you use a sweetener in your coffee? If it has aspartame, it could be making you hungry. I have always found that aspartame makes me want to eat, and it does it to my mom and sister too. Good luck! Try not to get discouraged.
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    You are probably starving because you are not even eating 1,000 calories!! I'd be eating my post it notes by now:laugh: Maybe make your breakfast and morning snack larger?? Best of luck:drinker:

Yeah, I agree, I just peeked at your food diary.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    you aren't eating enough protein and I see other issues with your food diary. Here are the proportions you should be eating:

total calories for ONE MEAL - between 300 to 500
    Protein should be between 15 to 30 g
    carbs 30 to 45 g
    fat - 20 to 30 % or LESS of total calories
    Fiber - at least 5 g at one meal (20 to 25 g / day)
    sodium - LESS than 700 mgs.

eat with in 1 hour of waking up (something whether it be a snack or breakfast). Snacks should stay under the 200 calories range. no food should include white flour or sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Read your labels. Eat every 2 to 3 hours until 1 hour before bedtime. drink all your water and workout at least 1 hour 5 to 6 times a week.

if you just follow these rules, the lbs will drop off. I've lost almost 50 since October. my food diary is open to the public if you want to take a look. I'm not perfect but I attempt, every day to hit these numbers. You meals should consist of a protein, a fast carb (potatoes, rice, etc) and a slow carb (most veggies).

Hope this helps! Christine
  • kayarnold88
    Options
    well I would have to say or want to say its the 2 cups of coffee I'm surprised you not shaking from the caffeine and then you did Cardio. WOW I know the feeling of hunger, I was told because I was so use to eating whatever that when I started limited my mind is trying to feed me bull.... You're not hungry eat some free foods with no calories or very very little.
  • rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    Options
    Protein definitely helps with the hunger as the previous poster said, but also, do you use a sweetener in your coffee? If it has aspartame, it could be making you hungry. I have always found that aspartame makes me want to eat, and it does it to my mom and sister too. Good luck! Try not to get discouraged.

No Ma'am... No artifical sweetners for me... I drink my coffee black... nothing added....
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Make sure you are eating the caloric intake MFP suggests... it does make a difference and yes, you will need more protein to calm that hunger and feed the muscles as shanerylee suggested. Good luck on your journey!! :flowerforyou:
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    So you are saying you've only eaten like 300 calories? If you are starving then eat some more, you haven't eaten that much.
  • AnastasiaM28
    Options
    Ditto on the protein and calories!
    I find that if I eat after my workouts I'm not as hungry later and I can go longer inbtwn. But before I work out I at least eat 1-2 scrambled eggs (like previous post) or 1/4 cup almonds with a HUGE glass (or bottle) of water.
    But I do notice if I don't get enough protein, my hunger is out of control by 4pm. I try to keep some hard boiled eggs around to keep the munchies at bay (eggwhites only for me..never really liked hardboiled yoke, too dry!)
    Goodluck!
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    i would say eat protein and its probably mental i know when i stress about weight loss thats all i think about so i quit stressing and just let it happen/ but eat more protein i eat cottage cheese alot/ for me eggs don't fill me up . remember every BODY is different find what it right for you/
  • micnic
    micnic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said. You are definitely not eating enough. Looking at your food log, you have almost burned as many calories as you have consumed today. (consumed @ 480 cals. and burned @ 420 cal. with exercise). Your body is probably actually in starvation mode because essentially you have only taken in about 60 cals. of your recommended 1200 today. You need to at least take in the recommended amount of calories that MFP says. I know it sounds silly to say "you need to eat more to lose weight" but you do. And again, like others have said, you have had very little protein which helps you feel full. Good luck!

137920.png
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    Protein, protein, protein.
  • jmb1510
    jmb1510 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Depending on when you ate this morning, you have not had a lot of food, especially if you are waiting until 1 p.m. for lunch. Remember to eat 100-200 calorie snacks every 2 hours or so.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If your day today is simliar to other days, and you are wondering why you are extra hungry, it may be that your work out last night kick started your metabolism again. Its been told to me, to make sure you eat when you are hungry. Even every two hours (small stuff but constant) to keep up that metabolism! I have been also advised to eat 1/2 my body weight in protein. when I do this, i'm not so hungry.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    you aren't eating enough protein and I see other issues with your food diary. Here are the proportions you should be eating:

total calories for ONE MEAL - between 300 to 500
    Protein should be between 15 to 30 g
    carbs 30 to 45 g
    fat - 20 to 30 % or LESS of total calories
    Fiber - at least 5 g at one meal (20 to 25 g / day)
    sodium - LESS than 700 mgs.

eat with in 1 hour of waking up (something whether it be a snack or breakfast). Snacks should stay under the 200 calories range. no food should include white flour or sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Read your labels. Eat every 2 to 3 hours until 1 hour before bedtime. drink all your water and workout at least 1 hour 5 to 6 times a week.

if you just follow these rules, the lbs will drop off. I've lost almost 50 since October. my food diary is open to the public if you want to take a look. I'm not perfect but I attempt, every day to hit these numbers. You meals should consist of a protein, a fast carb (potatoes, rice, etc) and a slow carb (most veggies).

Hope this helps! Christine

bumping for later
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You are hungry because you havent had much protein at all. You need recovery protein after excercing. I usually do a protein shake before working out or eat egg whites, then do something small after to recover .
    The coffee also makes me hungry and increases my appetite usually. Thats just my 10 cents. been there

really? coffee is an appetite suppressant for me...
  • fitgirl232
    Options

So true. What artificial sweeteners do is your tounge tastes sweet and sends a message to your brain saying "sugar coming pump out insulin" and so your blood sugar drops because you have this extra insulin and no actual glucose. This is also why people who drink a lot of diet soda are more likely to be overweight than those who stay away from diet soda.