Whats your FAV recipe for Ground chicken??

Options
I have some ground chicken I need to make up tonight, but don't have buns or anything to make burgers. Anyone have any good recipe ideas??

Replies

• Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    You could add some salsa or sloppy joe mix to it and eat it on top of a baked potato.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Well I use ground chicken or turkey all the time in place of ground beef, so really the ideas are limiteless

you can make individual meat loafs but scoop them out with an icecream scoop and bake them in a muffin tin

tacos (if you only hvae half a serving of meat get a bunch of mushrooms and chop them up really fine like. they make an excellent healthy filler to bulk up the meat)

pasta w meat sauce or mini meat balls

make a wrap out of the ground meat with some sauted peppers and onions.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Ground chicken with shredded spinach, salsa and parm cheese. Its like a skillet meal, actually really good. Also have tried it with a little tomato sauce, mushrooms and parm, making it like a chick parm.
  • jrrtubbs
    jrrtubbs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A second for tacos. My recipe is as such.

1 lb of ground turkey
    1 cup of pureed garden salsa
    4 or 5 sprigs (?) of cilantro, rough chopped
    1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.

Then serve in hard shells with cheddar, lettuce, tomato, sour cream, or whatever else you like.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Hey Kim!

I use ground chicken to make chili. I just add some garlic, pepper, chili powder, kidney beans, canned tomatoes with green chilis, and tomato sauce. Then I top it with FF sour cream and low fat cheese. If you like it with a real kick, you can add some white pepper or tabasco. Mmmmmmm :)
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    What about tacos or wraps?

I also like using it when I make pasta, our favourite is with a pesto sauce and lots of veggies.
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I used ground turkey to make shepards pie. there are instant mashed potatos that are 80 calories/serving and I add tons of veggies
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers, yummy! and the pepper has next to no calories, to make up for the cals in the ground chicken.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    White Chicken Chili
    2 1/2 cups water
    1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1-2 lbs. ground chicken (browned)
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 (8 ounce) cans white shoepeg corn, drained
    2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies, undrained
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    2-3 tablespoons lime juice
    2 (14 ounce) cans great northern beans, undrained
    shredded monterey jack cheese, to garnish

In a 5-qt stockpot, combine water with the lemon pepper, 1 tsp ground cumin, and olive oil. Bring to a boil. Add the chicken and return to a low boil. Add the garlic, onion, corn, green chiles, 1 tsp ground cumin, lime juice, and Great Northern beans to the broth. Bring to a boil. Simmer until thoroughly heated, about 45 minutes. To serve, ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle cheese on top. Refrigerate any leftovers; this chili is usually even better heated up the next day. To make it creamier, use creamed corn in place of one of the cans of corn. You can also add black beans.
  • MirandaJayne
    Options
    Stuffed peppers, yummy! and the pepper has next to no calories, to make up for the cals in the ground chicken.

I would like to hear more of these stuffed peppers. I have never had nor made them before.
  • imagymrat
    Options

I would like to hear more of these stuffed peppers. I have never had nor made them before.

OMG, I live off them, but I use a chicken breast that i've shredded myself.

here's my recipe:

8 oz extra low fat ground chicken ( but I sub the chicken breast), 2 large red bell peppers, 2 oz long grain brown rice, 1 small onion, portebello mushrooms,chopped broccoli (any veg you have will work in these, carrots, corn, beans...), 1 teaspoon mixed herbs, prepared tomatoe sauce.(add as much as you like, I use 1/4cup per pepper)

Preparation

slice the top off the peppers and remove the caws, keep both the top and body of the peppers, finely chop the onion, mushroom.

Method - Serves 2

Heat a non stick pan to moderate temperature and cook the low fat ground chicken without using any fat or oil, until brown, then remove and put to one side. Put the chopped onion and mushrooms, and whatever cveg you're using in the pan and cook only adding small amounts of water, until starting to get soft, return the chicken to the pan and add the mixed herbs and the tomato sauce, then cook until mixture is fairly dry. Remove pan from heat and put to one side.

While the low fat chicken and onions are cooking, boil the long grain rice, but not too much, the rice should be cooked but firm, and then put to one side. Place the peppers and the tops in boiling water for approximately five or six minutes remove and keep to one side. Once everything is cooked put rice and low fat chicken mixture into a bowl and mix together, add salt if needed. Fill the peppers with the mixture and put the lids on the top. Stand peppers in a shallow dish or on a baking tray and cook in the oven at 180c for twenty minutes, pour some more sauce over the top, heat a few more minutes and then serve.

You can add some shredded cheese to the tops at the same time as the sauce for the last few minutes of cooking! These are soooo good, I make many of them, ahead of time and eat them throughout the week, if you chop them all up(the whole pepper with all the filling) you can addit overtop of some spaghetti squash and have yet another dish!
  • MirandaJayne
    Options

here's my recipe:

8 oz extra low fat ground chicken ( but I sub the chicken breast), 2 large red bell peppers, 2 oz long grain brown rice, 1 small onion, portebello mushrooms,chopped broccoli (any veg you have will work in these, carrots, corn, beans...), 1 teaspoon mixed herbs, prepared tomatoe sauce.(add as much as you like, I use 1/4cup per pepper)

Preparation

slice the top off the peppers and remove the caws, keep both the top and body of the peppers, finely chop the onion, mushroom.

Method - Serves 2

Heat a non stick pan to moderate temperature and cook the low fat ground chicken without using any fat or oil, until brown, then remove and put to one side. Put the chopped onion and mushrooms, and whatever cveg you're using in the pan and cook only adding small amounts of water, until starting to get soft, return the chicken to the pan and add the mixed herbs and the tomato sauce, then cook until mixture is fairly dry. Remove pan from heat and put to one side.

While the low fat chicken and onions are cooking, boil the long grain rice, but not too much, the rice should be cooked but firm, and then put to one side. Place the peppers and the tops in boiling water for approximately five or six minutes remove and keep to one side. Once everything is cooked put rice and low fat chicken mixture into a bowl and mix together, add salt if needed. Fill the peppers with the mixture and put the lids on the top. Stand peppers in a shallow dish or on a baking tray and cook in the oven at 180c for twenty minutes, pour some more sauce over the top, heat a few more minutes and then serve.

You can add some shredded cheese to the tops at the same time as the sauce for the last few minutes of cooking! These are soooo good, I make many of them, ahead of time and eat them throughout the week, if you chop them all up(the whole pepper with all the filling) you can addit overtop of some spaghetti squash and have yet another dish!

Do they keep or reheat well I was thinking make one for dinner tonight and one for lunch tomrorow
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    mmm all sound great thanks for the ideas. i'm definatly going to have to buy more ground chicken, might try the chilli tonight since I don't have wraps for shells for the tacos. But I really want to try the stuffed peppers and the tacos and the other ideas. Thanks :)
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    wow, funny enough, I don't think I've ever had ground chicken anything. Ground turkey-sure, used that a lot before.

So slight tangent: Anyone have taste preferences for one or the other in these recipes?

I'll have to look for it and experiment with it. Thanks for the idea!
  • imagymrat
    Options

here's my recipe:

Preparation

Method - Serves 2

Do they keep or reheat well I was thinking make one for dinner tonight and one for lunch tomrorow

They keep for about 3 days, but you can freeze em...just make sure they have completely cooled down. I tend to chop them up then freeze I'll throw in some cooked cabbage and cottage cheese and it's kinda like a mock cabbage roll casserole.