Is my diet slowing me down?

Options
So I'm on day 3 of my weight lose and have lost 2 1/2 pounds, but now I'm wondering if because I'm not eating as much calories as I'm suppose to that maybe it slowing my weight loss down? What does everyone know or think? I'm not like starving myself..just not eating as much calories as I'm suppose to.

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If your diary was open, we could have a look at it and see what is happening. :)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    2 1/2 pounds in 3 days? Of course it's going to slow down. And if it doesn't, it's not going to be a healthy weight loss.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The first week or so you'll lose a lot of extra water weight but to be healthy you really should eat your calorie budget. Not your exercise but the calories given to you in your budget first thing in the morning.
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Since it's day three, its too early to tell really. You may have lost actual fat weight, but more likely at this point, it's mostly water weight. It's a long process so it will take some time. Ideal weight loss is about 1 lb a week from what I understand. Maybe more if you are obese. I recommend opening your diary for folks to give feedback and eat the calories that MFP suggests.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So I'm on day 3 of my weight lose and have lost 2 1/2 pounds, but now I'm wondering if because I'm not eating as much calories as I'm suppose to that maybe it slowing my weight loss down? What does everyone know or think? I'm not like starving myself..just not eating as much calories as I'm suppose to.

You feeling fully fed and your body being fed fully for your level of activity or two entirely different things.

Use your brain, not your stomach, to make decisions. Most folks are here from listening to the stomach too much already.

And yes, it will have a counterproductive effect to it. Maybe sooner, maybe later. Depends on how often you have yo-yo dieted your life already.
    Which is actually one of the later effects to hit people - they gain some, most, all, or more of it back because of doing it unwisely.
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It would probably be best to not weigh yourself everyday as the body fluctuates so much. Weekly at the same time is the best approach (imo)..
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    How do you get that losing 2 1/2 pounds in 3 days is slow weight loss. On average that's howmuch weight you should be losing in a week to stay healthy, any more than that, you start losing muscle, which is what everyone should try to avoid.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss but it was only water in a three day window of time.

Just watch your calories and keep active and you'll make progress but it won't always be timed in the way you expect. Think in terms of months, not days. If you only want to lose weight quickly you'll probably be losing and gaining the same weight over and over again like the majority of people who "go on a diet". (I'm including my past self in this group)

Time for a life change. Slow and steady wins the race.

Read this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 and if you want dietary advise make your diary public. People might crack on your food choices but you'll learn from it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You've been "dieting" for three days and you're worried about your progress slowing down? No offense, but you need to reset your way of thinking about this, or you'll end up very disappointed.

If you want long term success, understand that progress may be slow at times. Weight loss isn't linear. You won't always lose weight every week. Some weeks you'll lose more, some weeks you'll lose less. That's the way it works.

Eat enough to fuel your body and your activities. Your body needs fuel for energy.....if you want to play and jump with that precious child on the trampoline, make sure you are eating right and eating enough to do that. You don't have to starve to lose weight.

Don't live by the scale. Live by how you feel, how your clothes fit, how healthy you are. Find some exercise you love to do and do it often. Be impressed by yourself and your ability to stick to it....to keep pushing. Improve your life in the long term - make a "lifestyle change" instead of just going on a diet.

The people here who have the most success understand what's listed above.
  • wechoosenow
    Options
    I think there is a fine line between reducing calories to promote weight loss and putting your body into starvation mode where it conserves the food you eat rather than burn it readily.

Water loss is always the first to be released from the fat cells for a new "dieter".

My advise is to use the MFP calculations for calories and stick to it. Slowly reducing your intake as you begin to reduce your weight. This is a "healthy" way to continue to burn excess stored fuel without shocking your body into starvation mode.

Use MFP to track and monitor your eating and water intake.
    Add some exercise to your day
    Be mindful of the reasons you are eating or are not eating. Make it about feeding your body and less about medicating the mind.

Congratulations for doing something for YOU! YOU are worth it!
  • ToshaRozema
    ToshaRozema Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Very true! I'm trying to tell myself to be patient!
  • ToshaRozema
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you opinions!! I'm not saying that I'm not losing weight fast enough..I was just curious if it was going to hurt me in the long run for losing weight or not :) THANKS AGAIN THOUGH!
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    How much faster can you lose?
  • jblueeyedwonder
    Options
    That is actually great weight loss. Remember to eat at least 1200 calories each day. If you exercise you get more, eat as many as you are comfortable eating. I eat 6 times a day. with the mid morning, mid afternoon, and after dinner snacks light. This helps me stay full. Weighing and measuring your food is important. That is the only way you will know for sure that you are eating a true serving size. Invest in a kitchen scale for this. I'm down 27 lbs since May. My doctor doesn't want me to loose more, but my goal is another 7 lbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

You feeling fully fed and your body being fed fully for your level of activity or two entirely different things.

Use your brain, not your stomach, to make decisions. Most folks are here from listening to the stomach too much already.

And yes, it will have a counterproductive effect to it. Maybe sooner, maybe later. Depends on how often you have yo-yo dieted your life already.
    Which is actually one of the later effects to hit people - they gain some, most, all, or more of it back because of doing it unwisely.

This!!! Also, if you are too aggressive with your weight loss, your body will plateau at some point. So fuel your body now and work to prevent that. With 40 lbs to lose, 1 lb per week should be your goal. Also, make sure you eat enough protein (probably 100-130g) and if you can some resistance training to help prevent muscle loss.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • ToshaRozema
    Options
    Thanks everyone who is giving POSITIVE feedback! Again-IM NOT TRYING TO SAY IM NOT LOSING FAST ENOUGH! I THINK IM DOING GREAT RIGHT NOW!!! BUT THANK YOU!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It's very common to lose a lot of weight in the first couple days or weeks of your weight loss regimen. It's mostly the water weight coming of first. I'd expect it to slow down in a few days, but I wouldn't be concerned at that kind of loss in the first three days