Losing weight and need to stop

Options
I have hit my goal weight of 110 ibs. I am 5'4 and very small in stature so I think I'm healthy. I eat fairly healthy and would be happy to make my diary public for a bit. I sometimes come under calories and sometimes I go over. I believe it's ok to average out. Lately, I've been noticing I am still losing weight and I don't want to keep losing I want to now gain muscle tone. This week is a little nuts to workout as I am doing grad school stuff but any other advice? I DON"T want to gain fat. I'm looking to maybe put on a pound or two of muscle. Thoughts?

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    I have hit my goal weight of 110 ibs. I am 5'4 and very small in stature so I think I'm healthy. I eat fairly healthy and would be happy to make my diary public for a bit. I sometimes come under calories and sometimes I go over. I believe it's ok to average out. Lately, I've been noticing I am still losing weight and I don't want to keep losing I want to now gain muscle tone. This week is a little nuts to workout as I am doing grad school stuff but any other advice? I DON"T want to gain fat. I'm looking to maybe put on a pound or two of muscle. Thoughts?

Set your diary to public.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can NOT gain muscle without gaining some fat along with it. And 1-2 lbs won't make a huge difference. If you want to go through a bulk phase to gain muscle (lets say you want 10lbs of muscle), you would have to gain 20 lbs while eating in a surplus and then you would have to do a cut phase. Generally eating 250 calories above your TDEE (maintenance calories) is what is advise to bulk and limit cardio. Or you can do a bulk, gain 5-10 lbs, then cut, then follow by another bulk and cut phase so you limit fat increase. Below are some good threads of what happens when you gain a good amount of muscle.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Pump iron?
  • Finchtastic1
    Finchtastic1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm not interesting in bulking and adding 10ibs. I'm looking just to tone up a little.
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    I limit my cardio, but still make sure I do get some in when I work out. But I am doing more strength training now to add muscle and maintain. You also really need to get your protein numbers up. I had low protein so as much as I hate to, I have been adding whey protein in at least once a day. It is usually in the morning with my plain yogurt, berries, and raw oats.
  • Musically_Blessed
    Options
    I'm not interesting in bulking and adding 10ibs. I'm looking just to tone up a little.
    Eat and stay as close to the maintence goal as possible and start doing toning workouts. seventeen.com has some great ones. Just search for toning exercises.
  • Finchtastic1
    Options
    I should add that I don't own a car so I walk EVERYWHERE! I try to eat mostly vegetarian and getting in protein is hard. I will try to add it to cereal and yogurt and stuff.
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    Eat and stay as close to the maintence goal as possible and start doing toning workouts. seventeen.com has some great ones. Just search for toning exercises.

www.lovingfit.com is also a great site. Free workouts explained with proper form and amazing!
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    Toning does not exist you either gain muscle or loose fat

Since your new like me we can do both for a bit so just eat at what you needa day, up the protein after that you could try lean gains.
    Bulking is the quickest way to gain muscle but its getting a worse rep and for people just wanting to tighten up you could try the cal cycling. No matter what you lift heavy if your not falling down the stairs after a good workout your not trying hard enough.

421190_507594589253163_286847486_n.jpg
  • Walternator
    Walternator Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You have to be in a calorie surplus to add muscle. If you are still losing weight then you are in a calorie deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Well you can eat a small calorie surplus, but you can't cut fat without cutting more weight. Also, if you don't have enough muscle, then it may be difficult to gain definition. And toning is just a fancy word for cutting fat. Lift heavy, limit cardio or try to do HIIT, eat enough protein (are you actually vegetarian or just try to eat more that way because you think it's healthier?) and have a small deficit.
  • Finchtastic1
    Options
    I will try and up my calories but I've been under because I have been so FULL! I am leaning towards becoming a vegetarian again but more on the pescatarian side. I don't process meat that well but if I crave it, I eat it. I've got some protein powder and even though I can't do the gym these next two weeks I will try doing body weight stuff. I need to buy a kettle bell.
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    I will try and up my calories but I've been under because I have been so FULL! I am leaning towards becoming a vegetarian again but more on the pescatarian side. I don't process meat that well but if I crave it, I eat it. I've got some protein powder and even though I can't do the gym these next two weeks I will try doing body weight stuff. I need to buy a kettle bell.

Just get a few milk bottles they serve the same purpose as a kettlebell. After reading your diary i would say forget about salt and try to get more protein/fats. Even just adding 1 protein shake with peanut butter ( orgasmic ) or even just throw a spoon of olive oil in you wont notice it and it will help up your calories.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    are you able to find a place in your home to work out in front of your pc or tv? LOTS of good muscle building DVD's and the like on YouTube (Free!) I'm doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and I see a HUGE difference in toning/building/bulking whatever the term you use it all means building lean muscle.... For the first time in my life I can make a muscle! all it took was 30 minutes a day that totally kicked my *kitten*.