Vegetarian and protein

2»

Replies

• Hi I am struggling to get enough protein into my day. I am a vegetarian with an intollerance to most nuts and don't like soy replacement type foods, Apart from tofu and eggs any suggestions? I am falling about half my protein amount short each day?
    Thanks

Try beans or Greek yogurt.
  • shapeup6
    shapeup6 Posts: 46 Member
    My opinion:

Vegetarians ought to *seriously* consider adding hemp seeds to their diets. Hemp seeds are one of the rare plant-based sources of complete protein, in addition to having the perfect ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6, making it like a 1,2 punch to give your body protein. The Nutiva hemp protein powder that I use for smoothies is 90 calories for 15 grams of protein. Honestly, you can NOT get a better, natural source of plant-based protein than hemp seeds.

I'm going to look into this and try it out. Thank you!
  • Seitan.... if you can tolerate gluten.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    I love hemp hearts. You can get a big bag at costco. I have a sensitive tummy, so I use brown rice protein powder (other kinds of protein powder give me terrible bloating). Its got 16 g of protein in one scoop, and I mix it with 1/2 cup juice, and some water for a recovery drink after I work out. If you can tolerate it, milk is a good source of protein. Nuts and seeds too.
  • Ellieus
    Ellieus Posts: 49 Member
    haven't read all the answers, but the Sun Warrior Protein is raw and vegan. Tasted it for the first time today and it's quite good :).
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Try beans or eggs or cheese or meat alternatives. I'm not vegetarian myself, but I eat A LOT of Amy's Vegetarian frozen meals, and you'd be surprised at how much protein are in the cheesy or beany ones. :P There are some veggies that have a bit more protein as well. I'm absolutely in love with brussels sprouts (just steamed for me!). They have about 10g protein for half a plateful, and I'm a strong advocate of having every plate be at least half veggies.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    My opinion:

Vegetarians ought to *seriously* consider adding hemp seeds to their diets. Hemp seeds are one of the rare plant-based sources of complete protein, in addition to having the perfect ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6, making it like a 1,2 punch to give your body protein. The Nutiva hemp protein powder that I use for smoothies is 90 calories for 15 grams of protein. Honestly, you can NOT get a better, natural source of plant-based protein than hemp seeds.

One downside being that hemp is really high in polyunsaturated fatty acids (about 80%) and the ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 is about 3:1. Also, the Omega-3 is in the form of the less available ALA (bodies don't efficiently convert ALA to DHA/EPA.) I would supplement with fish oil if you're going to start taking in a large amount of Hemp seeds in an effort to keep your overall ratio better.
  • Greek yogurt is high in protein, which helps promote fullness. A typical 6-ounce serving contains 15 to 20 grams, the amount in 2 to 3 ounces of lean meat. That makes it particularly appealing to vegetarians, who sometimes struggle to get enough of the nutrient.

I too am on a plant based diet. However, I do eat seafood, so I guess that makes me a Pescatarian, I started this part of my diet 3 months ago, and am doing really well on it. Staying off the animal fat and processed foods has been an eye opening change.