Grapeseed oil - why you need it.

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Let me start out by saying that I love olive oil, I really do (I'm Italian, its required). However a lot of recipes seem to call for it improperly. See, olive oil is *not* meant to be used at high temperatures. If a recipe ever calls for the oil to be heated above a low-medium heat in a pan, do NOT use olive oil. See, olive oil has a very low 'smoke point' meaning it burns at a low temperature. That means all of the healthy goodness that comes in olive oil - the healthy fats, start to break down. It gives the oil a burnt flavor and robs it of the healthiness that you're using it for.

Don't believe me? Pour some olive oil in a pan, put it to high, wait a half hour and listen for the smoke detector. Bet you a dollar it goes off.

The other downside? The low smoke point means that you start burning off oil, which means you have less oil to work with. Your food is more likely to burn. So its good for tossing around some spices, or for seasoning a pan, but not for frying, sauteeing, etc.

This is a simple mistake to make, because a LOT of people don't know better. So what can you use? Well, while its much less known, grapeseed oil has the exact same health benefits of olive oil. It has a very high smoke point, so you can actually use less oil. It contains mono and polyunsaturated fats. It also contains vitamin c, vitamin e, and a number of antioxidants.

Pick some up. Its the same price as decent olive oil, and use it any time you're going above the medium mark. Its a must have for anyone who cooks a lot.

Replies

• CrazyAdventures
    CrazyAdventures Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wonderful advice, thank you!
  • jessmcwade
    Options
    I have heard that about olive oil but I didn't know what else to cook with. Thanks for the tip.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I did not know this!!! Thank you!!! :bigsmile: Grapeseed Oil has been added to my grocery list... thank you again!! :flowerforyou:
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • JustJamie
    JustJamie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Another oil with beneficial properties comparable to olive oil is avocado oil, which has a very high smoke point.
    I'm going to have to try out grapeseed oil though. Thanks for the tip! :happy:
  • healthycat31
    Options
    Let me start out by saying that I love olive oil, I really do (I'm Italian, its required). However a lot of recipes seem to call for it improperly. See, olive oil is *not* meant to be used at high temperatures. If a recipe ever calls for the oil to be heated above a low-medium heat in a pan, do NOT use olive oil. See, olive oil has a very low 'smoke point' meaning it burns at a low temperature. That means all of the healthy goodness that comes in olive oil - the healthy fats, start to break down. It gives the oil a burnt flavor and robs it of the healthiness that you're using it for.

Don't believe me? Pour some olive oil in a pan, put it to high, wait a half hour and listen for the smoke detector. Bet you a dollar it goes off.

The other downside? The low smoke point means that you start burning off oil, which means you have less oil to work with. Your food is more likely to burn. So its good for tossing around some spices, or for seasoning a pan, but not for frying, sauteeing, etc.

This is a simple mistake to make, because a LOT of people don't know better. So what can you use? Well, while its much less known, grapeseed oil has the exact same health benefits of olive oil. It has a very high smoke point, so you can actually use less oil. It contains mono and polyunsaturated fats. It also contains vitamin c, vitamin e, and a number of antioxidants.

Pick some up. Its the same price as decent olive oil, and use it any time you're going above the medium mark. Its a must have for anyone who cooks a lot.

Thanks for this info! I've just bought my first bottle of grapeseed oil :)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Question: I've started to use a Misto instead of the Pam-like stuff mainly because of the propellants.

How would grapeseed oil work in a Misto? How would it be to, say, line a cake pan with so that the cake doesn't stick to the pan?