Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Winter Motivation!

Okay so, I did so well and lost over a stone a few months back and thought it was a brilliant start to my goal, however, I've since lost track of my diet and have started to gain a few pounds with it coming into winter and eating comfort foods etc. this time I AM losing my goal and not stopping till I do! Im walk 2 miles everyday and only eat three meals a day however I think im eating the wrong foods at the wrong times! Im generally looking for some advice on what kind of foods I should be eating, what motivates everyone to keep going?! (I have such bad willpower!!) and any other dieting tips that I could use to keep it up! :) x

Replies

• stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    You should make your diary open to public so we can see what you're eating.

But as for comfort foods, I totally know what you mean. I love comfort foods, especially in the winter. But you can still eat these things as long as they fit into your calories, and you can make substitutions. Instead of mashed potatoes and gravy, mash up a sweet potato with a little brown sugar and raisins. Make your own soup/stews/chili instead of buying them in cans. Make your own mac and cheese with whole wheat pasta and light cheese, instead of out of a box. Make a meatloaf with turkey instead of beef.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    I agree with Steph - you don't have to give up comfort foods in order to stay on track. I make my own home made chili sometimes it has ground turkey breast, sometimes 96% lean beef, sometimes vegetarian, but ALWAYS loaded with lots of vegetables as vegetables are more filling and WAY less calories. You can also make stews the same way, throw every vegetable in it that you can come up with (make sure they are fresh or frozen not canned b/c canned are loaded with sodium and have all the fiber and nutrition stripped from them).

I make a WONDERFUL Butternut squash soup - its super easy and low fat.

I clean and cut into strips a whole red bell pepper
    Chop a whole Medium sized Onion
    Heat my pan (gallon size) with 2 TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Throw in the pepper, get it "blackened"
    Add the onion
    Add 4 cups of diced butternut squash (you can buy this already diced in the grocery)
    Add 2 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
    Add 2 Cloves of Garlic
    After 5 minutes, add in 3 cups of water and let it boil
    Cook just until the squash is tender (may only take another 10 minutes)

Cool down, add 2 TBSP of Raw Agave Syrup
    Puree using an Emerson blender or let cool enough to add to a regular blend a little at a time and puree

It usually makes 5 - 2 cup servings and is 151 calories; I add a salad to go with it to have some "raw" veg; you can also toss on some fresh sprouts and either sunflower seeds, flax seeds or hemp seeds to give some "crunch" to the soup

I recently had some awesome pumpkin bisque and Cream of Parsnip soup...I plan to toy with a recipe until I find a good "low fat" version. I'm sure I can figure one out.

Oh one other thing...you don't have to limit your eating to 3 meals per day...break it up to 3 meals and a couple of snacks, just reduce your calories for those meals...you will be less hungry.

For exercise...try new things: find some friends and go exploring (hiking) new trails, go biking, try skiing or skating, do you have a WII fit or XBOX Kinects? Try new games on there, like dance...explore your cable/satelite TV provider's Fit channel, they should have free on demand fit programs, Sign up for a 5 week class at a local gym or community center, sign up for a 5k or 10k, start a running or walking program, start a challenge of some sort (even if it is a virtual challenge...you still have to do stuff and report back)

Oh....I love cinnamon apples, so

1 medium apple
    1 medium pear

dice both and add liberal amounts of cinnamon, either warm on stove or in the microwave or oven until gooey (the natural sugars will make gooey, you don't need sugar)

Add 3/4-1 cup of low fat cottage cheese
    1-2 TBSP chopped walnuts

Great breakfast! Just had it this morning...yummy! :smile:
  • The biggest advice I can give is...any junk foods you want to eat try to only eat them in early morning. This gives you all day to burn like it off vs night time when it lays in your stomach all night.

For chocolate cravings...they sell at dollar general packs of twix, mnms that are 60-70 cal packs. They help get the cravings out of your system without over eating them.

Try eating chicken and adding in fruits and veggies. I like to make chicken parm and serve it with peas and apples instead of spaghetti, which is full of carbs.
  • janiem1987
    janiem1987 Posts: 29 Member
    I know the feeling! I get a lot of recipies from skinnytaste.com.

She has lots of 'lightened up' comfort foods and they are still super yummy! Most are very easy and require ingredients most people already have on hand.
  • Janiem, Thanks for posting the website you have found good recipes on. I'm always looking for recipes that I can try that will hopefully satisfy by my husband and I. It's a challenge. He's 6'5" and loves everything white, potatoes, bread, crackers, etc.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Your best bet is to seperate your food into five or six small meals about every 3 hours. This keeps your metabolisme fueled all day and prevents hunger in between meals. Try to add fruits and veggies to every meal and try to make sure you eat high protein foods as well as high fiber foods. These too help to prevent hunger and will keep you full longer. I do like most have said and own several recepe books that are great because they have all the comfort food you love but doctored to be lower in fat and calories as well as delicious and good for you. I also watch my portion control. If I want a treat I will have it but just the suggested portion size on the package. I pull out the ten crackers, or 12 almonds, or 15 chips from the package and then put the box or bag away. This really works for me.

To stay motivated, the one thing that has worked the best for me is to log onto MFP every day. You get so much support and encouragement from your friends on here it is great. I have done before pictures as well as measurements and retake them every 30 days to see the difference. I weigh myself once a week at the same time every time and day to see the change. This prevents me from obssesing about the scale and allows me to concentrate on making the right decisions. I work out six days a week for about 45 minutes to 90 minutes when ever I can fit it in. I sometimes pre log all my food and my exercise for the day because this forces me to stick with the plan. If all my friends see that I did 120 minutes of cardio than I have to do it. I hope this helps.
  • gemfox
    gemfox Posts: 107
    OMG I am in the same boat with the whole lost loads and then kind of fell off the wagon.
    I am pretty lucky as I have a great thing to motivate me - I am taking 20 rugby players to Lanzarote for a rugby tournament in May so the thought of being on a beach in swimwear surrounded by hot men....motivation enough!!

As for comfort food - soup is my best friend in the winter, and sweet potato mash. tonight I actually had spicy salmon with cous cous - crazy low in calories but still really hearty & healthy.
    I used to switch minced beef for minced turkey in things like bolognaise as well which sounds weird but really works!

good luck and feel free to add me if you want support! MFP helped me loose 2 stone at one point! Hoping to do that again before May!!!
    Gem
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    @gemfox...I should use YOUR motivation about 20 hot guys surrounding my on the beach...hahahaha...
  • gemfox
    gemfox Posts: 107
    HA yea....some of them are god like! Must be Bikini ready! I have decided to start 30DS (eeeeeek) so hopefully my target of 2 dress sizes in 6 months is feasible!