Growing My Own Food (pictures)

Options
Since a couple of people asked me if I really did this, I thought I'd post a picture....

I saw a video, compliments of another poster about a woman who grew her own organic garden and how awesome she looked for being 70 years old. I thought about it and realized I didn't want to plant anything permanent in my actual yard right now (I'm planning on moving) so I wanted my garden to be "mobile". The only area I'm going to plant food items outside will be "mobile" as well - and I'll start working on that next week!

So I turned the empty aquarium that I had ... into an *indoor* organic and pest free herb garden! The dirt I used to fill the pots is organic as well and will feed for two months.

For cloudy days (which won't be many) I do have lamps with "plant light bulbs" in them now, as they were previously used when a turtle was in the aquarium! :)

So far I have red lettuce, garlic (3 planted currently), chives, parsley, oregano and basil so far. I'm sprouting beets and onions currently in a separate container with a few other cloves of garlic... but check it out!

b5qyrl.jpg

(edited as the pic was too big first time I posted it!)

Replies

• ryanband
    ryanband Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I hope you'll keep us updated with pics as your garden grows.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Looks good!
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I guess when the lettuce is ready it turns almost all red... it's pretty cool and I'm already seeing it darken up! The garlic is peeking out of the dirt! Soooooo cool!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!
  • FitnessPalWorks
    Options
    Thought I'd update y'all on the progress here... so far I haven't killed anything.... and check this out.

This was the day I planted the garlic - on Wednesday - they are the three stubby green things sticking out of the dirt:

15yav42.jpg
  • FitnessPalWorks
    Options
    ...and I just took another picture today... just three days later... holy moly garlic grows FAST! LOL!

ay6pw4.jpg
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    My wife and I just moved into our first house a month ago and we have a big back yard! In the spring, we're going to get a big ol' vegetable garden going. We already have fruit trees in the ground. We want to get almost all of our produce from our vegetable garden eventually!
  • FitnessPalWorks
    Options
    Congrats on the house! Woo hoo!

Not sure where you live but I was raised on almost everything out of our own yard growing up. I was canning peaches and other seasonal fruits by the time I was 7! Funny, the first time I went to a grocery store on my own at 17 I had NO idea how to shop for fresh produce. All the fruit didn't "look" or "smell" right to me. I was used to it smelling fresh from the sun ripening it!

Anyway, be sure to do your homework on what will and won't grow in your climate. There are easy ways to build hothouses that won't piss your neighbors off and will keep bugs out of your food. A lot of stuff (like garlic) is planted in the fall so check to see if there's anything you can plant now. :)
  • FitnessPalWorks
    Options
    PS - sometimes fruit trees take a few years after initial transplanting to produce. Sometimes not. For residential areas where houses are close together, dwarf trees are best or the trees just get too big and unmanageable.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I have 2 aerogardens. Best things ever to grow your own pesticide free food.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I really would LOVE to start growing my own food. Seeing this makes me realize I have run out of excuses to keep putting it off. :)
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I want to try this later. Thanks for posting.