how am I ever going to run?

Options
Took a long walk today in our very hilly area. I was huffing and puffing up those hills. Kept wondering how am I ever going to run. That is my goal. To run a 5K. Been pushing myself and I can do long hikes. But just can't seem to get moving faster. I tried and thought I was going to throw up!

Replies

• dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You just keep pushing. Do intervals - fast, slow, fast whatever it takes. Run 100 feet and take a break. If you don't run, you won't run.

And throwing up is just a small price to pay. ;)
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You will get there! I am sure you have seen the Couch to 5K program talked about on here. It is a great jumping off point for novice runners. And it is great because you can always repeat weeks if you do not feel as if you are able to graduate to the next week of training.

In March, I could not run for 1 minute. I also felt as if I would throw up. I now run 45-60 minutes 3 times per week. You can absolutely do this. Keep at it!
  • GrammyPammy145
    GrammyPammy145 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Is there a certain length of time I should walk before I run? I average an hour walk.. but I have done 2 or 3 hours with breaks.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it! Jog a while, walk a while, then one day, before you realize it, you will forget to stop jogging! It really can sneak up on you like that :wink:

You really are doing a great job! Find a 5k and register. Even if you walk 4 of the 5 km, that is okay because it will be faster than you ever did it before!
  • livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    One step at a time! Try a C25K (couch to 5k) app-there are tons for iPods, iPhones, Android etc and they are so helpful. They will tell you when to run and when to walk, gradually increasing your running time every week so you don't have to worry about figuring that out or keeping track of it on your own-typically you start running just 60 seconds at a time, by the end you can run 30 full minutes. I went from dying on a 60 second run to the four mile run I did last week in a matter of months :)
  • ChrissyLpwe
    ChrissyLpwe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just keep running... as Dory the fish would say to Nemo... just keep running... it is challenging at first you can do this!!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Just keep walking and build up your pace. You'll eventually be speed walking and then you will just have to run.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Little by little, your endurance will increase. Keep at it.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it! Trust me, I've been there! Make mini goals. Try jogging on the spot for just 30 seconds, then when you get that down, try for a minute. Then try for 30 seconds outside and so on. You'll get there!

Good luck!
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have to take my inhaler before I go out. It makes a big difference for me.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Running (for me at least) is more of a mental game than a physical one. Yes, I huff and puff, struggle and want to puke too, but I just have to keep telling myself I can do it. I started by working up to 5 minutes. Just 5 minutes of running without having to walk. Then I got to 10 minutes. Then I got to 20. Then I lost my focus and was back down to only 5 minutes. Through a lot of mental coaching, I'm back to 20+ minutes running, no walking! I run slow as hell, but who cares, I'm running!!!! It feels amazing when you finally do it. It took me MONTHS to get this far, so don't give up. Have patience. Do interval training like the others suggested, and maybe even incorporate some weight lifting into your routine. I did a lot of deadlifts and lunges to build up hamstring and quad strength, which has also helped. Maybe give yourself a break from those hills and find a flat place to run (local high school or community college track, or a nearby neighborhood) and try that. I have a big hill by my house and started trying to run that, but that wasn't helping my motivation. Start small and easy, work your way up to those big hills.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I was struggling with a 3km walk on the beach at the start. I'd make sure I jogged a little. Then one day I just thought 'stuff it' and ran..... 4km. You just do it. I run 10km (6.6miles I think) every time now & I STILL huff & puff. After about 1km I think I want to go home already, that I'll only do 1 lap & then I'll go home. Somewhere you just decide NOT to give up. If my body didn't tell me to give up because of the pain I get, then my mind would never let me stop on some days.
  • trekkietaz
    Options
    you can do it it will take some time I started at 347lbs in jan 2012 and by june of 2012 I was at 240 so I did anybody can also I could not run and now I can run 6.5 miles per hour on the treadmill I can only run for a minute or two but it is a start so keep doing what you are doing and you will get there
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I just started about 3 weeks ago. I joined a challenge group here called "I Can't Run That..." and you pick how you want to do it. Either I can't run that far, or I can't run that fast. I think a couple of people are doing both. There's no deadline, you just commit to training for a 5K sometime in the near future. I had to find a flat area because hills were killin' me, so I just run back and forth until I get my endurance up, then I'll start doing hills, which in my area there are more of than flat places. I started out just running until I couldn't run anymore, then walking until I was ready to run again, but I put the C25K app on my ipod last week, so now I'm doing that. I also have to use my inhaler before I go out. I've never been a runner, and I'm actually really liking it!
  • dayatatime1
    dayatatime1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend the Couch to 5K program as well. I had never been a runner my whole life, and I never thought I could be. I have asthma, and I would always have to stop because I couldn't breathe. Then as I got more out of shape, it never seemed possible.

But I started C25K and just followed the program exactly, and I was so amazed what my body could actually do! It's so great because it eases you in slowly. And when you see longer running times you'll think there's no way you're ready, but when you try and succeed it feels amazing.
  • GrammyPammy145
    GrammyPammy145 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great advice. I guess I need to find a flatter place to run and just start. :heart: Thanks for the advice and encourgement!
  • Gimpdogg
    Gimpdogg Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Even if you can only run 10 feet do it, than tommorow or the week after run 12 feet. Keep adding distance every time you work out even if its inches thats how you'll get to your 5K.
  • lostemt
    lostemt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else your going to do it. I did a 1 mile run this past March still over 300 lbs and then that was just beginning of my short runs that I did though out the spring in the summer and in July did 5k mud run. Was about 50 lbs down by then but is was really hot but I was going to do if it killed me. I did 2 1/2 of the 3 miles and it took me over and hour to do but I did it with a lot of hills. What it comes down to if you have to walk some walk some if run some then do it that. Just don't quit!!:flowerforyou:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I run at a slow pace of about 4mph. Yep. That means I run a 5k in something like 45-50 minutes if I'm lucky. To many people, that is NOT running. To me it is. Define your own run and improve on yourself. Not all of us run 26minute 5ks right of the sofa, in fact, I don't think any of us do. Fast runners have trained. Slow runners just haven't become fast yet.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track. I am not a runner, never liked running....mot a bit. Somehow after walking a lot, long walks, trails, at a good pace with an energetic dog I decided I am going to try to run.....fifty and foolish :tongue: Anyway, I started walk/jog intervals and actually managed a few times to run 1 mile without stopping. Then I twisted my ankle pretty badly and took a couple of weeks of. I thought I could not start over...... I downloaded a free version of the C25K on my iphone and just came back from finishing week 4 day 2..........Thought I'd die but hey....cheated death again :bigsmile: no seriously.......I am still upright, ready for a shower though so I can go to my evening yoga class in an hr. I am making peace with running......not quite ready to say I love it but I love how it feels to be done and to know I can do the next step in the program on Friday. I would recommend that you try it but you may want to find an area that is flat....the hills (even mini hills can be a bit rough.....) Even if you have to repeat days or weeks in the program......you are still a step ahead everytime you try!!! And I also signed up for our 5k Turkey Trot early November....just so I stay motivated. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!