Vegetables are gross >:(

Options
Got any tips on how I can make them taste better?

Replies

• YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Ranch <3.

I'm interested in some of the other answers too, so Bumpppppp.
  • BrookeBQ
    BrookeBQ Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hummus? Dressing?
    Plugging your nose? :P
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    roast them, they taste way better this way
  • nikilovesaxl
    Options
    Hummus? Dressing?
    Plugging your nose? :P

Hahaha:laugh: .
    I've eaten a piece of asparagus and it was so gross. I spit it out. And I ate a cooked carrot. Yuck.
  • vidvox
    vidvox Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Agree with roasting. I am NOT a broccoli fan at all but I really love it roasted in the oven with olive oil and sea salt. Yummies.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    I just finished making a pot of butternut squash soup. I highly recommend this method of vegetable eating.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    ketamine
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, I did not like most vegetables. I just made myself eat them because they were good for me. Now I eat most of them raw, and I actually like them pretty well. It's just a matter of getting used to them.
    But yeah, what everyone else said. Look for healthy dip recipes and serve them with that (Greek yogurt is high in protein and makes nice dips). Make soup. Try some new veggies you haven't tried before...jicama sticks and sugar snap peas are naturally sweet. My kids love them.
  • GildedLily08
    GildedLily08 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    First of all, buy the freshest veggies you can find which have more, and better flavor. I've grown to love veggies. Here are some tips that may help. 1) Brown some onions and garlic in Pam and add to veggies along with a tad of olive oil and sea salt. 2) Throw in red pepper flakes & rice wine vinegar to jazz it. up. Kale tastes yummy this way. 3) Roasting, as others have suggested, is great. Believe it or not you can roast Brussels sprouts.....yes, hear me out....cut them in half, toss with some olive oil & sea salt, put into a very hot oven and roast them till they are browned. Yummy. 4) Add lemon juice and/or lemon zest and Smart Balance Light to veggies. For ex., par boil some green beans, drain off the water and add back to a pan with some melted Smart Balance and saute. Don't forget to salt veggies. 5) Consider investing in a cookbook by Deborah Madison who is vegetarian but her recipes for veggies are outta sight. I bet that before long you are going to love veggies. PS: If you are a busy American, Green Giant makes individual packets of broccoli with a light cheese sauce. I think they are only 40 calories. Easy and filling. I hope these tips help.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Grow up. Eat your veggies.
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I used to hate asparagus when I was young and now I LOVE it. My favorie way to eat it is with a little olive oil drizzled on and salt and pepper, then either roast it in the oven for 15 minutes or grill it for a few minutes. It goes with anything and is so easy to make.

Try veggies in soups where they will be cooked well and really tender and will blend with other flavors instead of just tasting like veggies.

Hide them in recipes. For example, when I make lasagna I add shredded carrots and zucchini that I saute in a pan with onions. You can't taste them at all. In another lasagna recipe I use eggplant for pasta and you seriously can't tell the difference, it's so good! Spaghetti squash doesn't have much flavor and will basically take on any flavor you add to it. You can actually replace spaghetti and put marinara on it.

Just keep trying new veggies and you will find one you like. Corn on the cob? Sweet potatoe FRIES. Eventually you Will find a way you like your veggies.

Also, maybe look up a website with recipes for "picky kids." There a lot of recipes for parents who try to hide veggies in their meals because kids don't like them. Don't give up.
  • nikilovesaxl
    Options
    Grow up. Eat your veggies.

You can't make me.
  • nikilovesaxl
    Options
    I used to hate asparagus when I was young and now I LOVE it. My favorie way to eat it is with a little olive oil drizzled on and salt and pepper, then either roast it in the oven for 15 minutes or grill it for a few minutes. It goes with anything and is so easy to make.

Try veggies in soups where they will be cooked well and really tender and will blend with other flavors instead of just tasting like veggies.

Hide them in recipes. For example, when I make lasagna I add shredded carrots and zucchini that I saute in a pan with onions. You can't taste them at all. In another lasagna recipe I use eggplant for pasta and you seriously can't tell the difference, it's so good! Spaghetti squash doesn't have much flavor and will basically take on any flavor you add to it. You can actually replace spaghetti and put marinara on it.

Just keep trying new veggies and you will find one you like. Corn on the cob? Sweet potatoe FRIES. Eventually you Will find a way you like your veggies.

Also, maybe look up a website with recipes for "picky kids." There a lot of recipes for parents who try to hide veggies in their meals because kids don't like them. Don't give up.

I was thinking cauliflower hidden in mac and cheese :smile:.

Thanks for the tips.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    So eat offal instead.
  • HeidiSmith419
    HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Start raw with the basics and dip is helpful. Try small amounts of many varieties to find ones that taste good to your immature palate. Then test out lightly steamed or roasted options. Mince or grate veggies into things like spaghetti sauce, soups, meatloaf etc. keep testing new options each season. Branch out in fruits as well. ;)
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I love it tossed with a bit of butter and some taco seasoning. It tastes great for almost any veggie.
  • nikilovesaxl
    Options
    Start raw with the basics and dip is helpful. Try small amounts of many varieties to find ones that taste good to your immature palate. Then test out lightly steamed or roasted options. Mince or grate veggies into things like spaghetti sauce, soups, meatloaf etc. keep testing new options each season. Branch out in fruits as well. ;)

I loveee fruit. No problems there :smile:.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Agree with much of the above - buy the freshest vegetables you can (never canned, they never taste good), roasting works miracles (try roasting cauliflower florets tossed with olive oil, a little salt and some curry powder). There are some great vegetable cookbooks. I love Madhur Jaffrey's vegetable cookbooks, once you have the spices in your cupboard they go together very easily and always taste good. Mark Bittman is very reliable.

If nothing works, try putting together sliced green onion, grated carrot, coriander, lettuce, and roll them all up in a rice paper roll. Make some dip with a little hoisin and rice wine vinegar and presto - a salad you can take for lunch. (easy to add shrimp or chicken).

Vegetables are wonderful, you just need to learn to cook them. Enjoy!
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite things to eat is a salad made with baby spinach, crumbled goat cheese, almond slivers, and raspberries - and I used to hate spinach! This is the perfect way to get in a few servings of veggies and a serving of fruit.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Okay, you are a vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables?
    That seems to be quite an issue.
    Also, you love animals but want to own a zoo ?
    *scratches head*