Running Outside in Winter

Options
I am fairly new to running (started c25k in April, graduated in June, and continue to run 5K 2-4 x's/wk). I usually run on the track of a nearby high school in the mornings. I live in the upper midwest of the US, so it snows and gets below zero quite often, especially overnight. I don't belong to a gym, and I don't own a treadmill. I enjoy running outside, but I'm wondering what to do in winter. I met my weight loss goal at the end of August, and I don't want to undo what I've done over the cold months. I have been doing other exercises on the days I don't run, but I don't want to totally quit running in winter.

For those of you who run outside in colder climates, how cold is too cold for you personally to run? What do you wear when running in cold weather? Do you run on trails, the road, a track? Do you wear different shoes or make any other modifications in what you wear or do? Any ideas, suggestions, etc. are appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• jlanz10
    jlanz10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Its all up to the individual I think...Ive run in wind chills up to minus 50F...If you dress in layers, especially with Gore-Tex, you can enjoy almost any kind of weather...One of my favorite times to run is in falling snow...Try it...
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    Columbia makes some really nice Omni Heat tights. I'd recommend getting those and then layering some sweats or something over that. Bundle up and keep rolling, but if there's ice on the ground, you may have to put it off until things thaw a little.
  • Kori18
    Kori18 Posts: 48
    Options
    Hey! I usually take classes in the winter (like boot-camp type) but I do still run maybe once sometimes twice a week. Last winter, I bought special shoes from ****s Sporting Goods specifically for winter.

Also, it is a must to wear a under armor type layer first so your sweat doesn't make you colder.

I usually do my base layers (top and bottom) wind breaker sweats, and a crew neck sweatshirt, hat, and occasionally a scarf.
  • mollyhayes1971
    Options
    You can get Yaktrax or other traction type attachments for your shoes when it gets slippery or icy. Most running stores or REI should carry them. Nothing more beautiful than a run in the snow...incredibly peaceful.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I asked the same a while ago. Someone made the smart suggestion that I get those gripper things for my shoes, I think they are called yaxtrax? ... so that I can run even if it is icy. Other than that, everyone just said to layer and consider the wind as being as significant a factor as the cold.

Edit: oops! The above was posted while I was writing. Anyway: good luck!
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    This is a link where you put in the weather conditions etc and it tells you a guideline on what you should wear. I am just learning to run in the cold too so I am not sure how accurate it is:

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0,00.html
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Here is how I get out the door at 5.45 am on cold British winter mornings, there may be something you can take from it:

Good running playlist on music player
    Waterproof breathable layers
    Puff of the inhaler
    Wry grin as I think about the lazy sod I was this time last year
    and go......
  • RNTanya
    RNTanya Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I loved running in winter when I lived in Alberta; don't recommend going out in > -15C, the lungs don't like it. Shoes: Saucony's or any shoe with some tread-- Clothes: see suggestions above (ie. layers) and a good cool-down stretch is imperative.
    Enjoy :)
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I live near Chicago so I'm thinking we may have similar climates.

It took a while, but now I LOVE running in the winter. I wear winter cycling tights (I ride in the winter sometimes too) and layers. The best thing other than the tights is I bought a beanie-style hat for my head (athletica.com) that covers my ears rather snuggly. That, and thin, cheap gloves. I normally go after work so it's dark out. Because of that I wear some major reflective gear (the kind that looks like I should be directing traffic) and sometimes carry a flashlight. If there is fresh snow of more than a couple inches I wait for them to clear it. Otherwise, I just go in it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm comfortable with temps as low as 20.

I missed the worst of winter last year because I was out of commission with a stress fracture. But even taking 6+ weeks off, my weight stayed about the same and my stamina wasn't lost. So if the weather keeps me inside a little more often than I'd like, so be it. It won't have any lasting impact.
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    the coldest i've run in was a wind chill of 20 below. i usually wear a compression top & compression tights. i occasionally will layer sweatpants over the tights, but i generally focus on keeping my core warm and that seems to work for me. over the compression top i'll layer another tech shirt, a zip-up fleece vest, and a jacket. sometimes a scarf. i don't care for running with a hat on my head, but can't bear going out in the cold without my fleece headband to cover my ears & forehead. i also wear a pair of gloves--i have the kind that have the fingertips cut off but have the little mitten pull-over sleeve. i like having the flexibility of covering/uncovering my fingers depending on what i find comfortable.

and i always stash a few tissues in one of my pockets. my nose feels the need to help me with the running whenever i'm out in the cold--didn't take me long to figure out i needed to be prepared for its participation! LOL
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I run on the road will throw on some underarmour cold weather gear, a pair of tights, a long sleeve compression shirt, and an all weather sweatshirt and a winter hat. I usually run on the road, unless the sidewalks aren't plowed. I keep my eyes open for black ice, or any ice really. I also wear some running gloves that are moisture wicking. I sweat regardless of the temperature so usually after a half hour to an hour I can strip down a layer or so. The key thing to watch out for though are drivers, try to avoid heavy drive times, go out early in the morning like on weekends between 6 and 8 am. During the week I will usually run on treadmill at gym or in my garage. I know that doesn't really help, but Planet Fitness has a cheap membership it's like 10 bucks a month with no money down at least that's what it was when I was a member, it is probably worth the investment.
  • mehs04
    mehs04 Posts: 184
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your replies! This is the info I was looking for!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running in winter can be magical............if you're dressed properly for it.

Here in Ottawa it will routinely get to -30°C or colder in January & February. On the coldest of the cold days I'll wear a merino wool base layer (light, wicking & toasty warm), running tights, merino wool socks (wool stays warm even when wet) a long sleeve running shirt, a polartec fleece top & running shell as well as gloves (I found some Columbia ones that have the heat reflective lining) and toque. For warmer winter days I'll often forgo the merino wool base layer and may substitute a medium weight half zip for the fleece top .

You should always be a bit chilly when you run starts, you will warm up and you will perspire in the cold (in y profile picture it was about -15°C and I was wearing my half zip under my jacket and even then I was perspiring freely during the half marathon - if you;re running a race keep your gels close to your body, mine were a little chewy that day!)
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I have 2 sets of yaks reg and pro $10 more for the pro gives me an additional toe strap which I like. They work great but on sheer ice can still slip when its very cold they are not spikes but metal bands they can slide on top of sheer ice also on spotty conditions where you encounter clean roads or sidewalks can be jarring. If you have pack snow, powder or slush they are great
    I wear a base of a wicking fabric with a duofold thermal over it and a lined shell to break wind and I am ok to about 10 degrees much colder than that or if it is very windy I stay home if I am running 3 times a week during the winter I can usually wait a day or so if under zero or sheer ice
    That said the quiet of a winters morning is great
  • shenanigansmo
    shenanigansmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I live in Cincinnati. We do get some pretty cold winters here, but our coldest weather doesn't happen til Jan/Feb. I just started running this summer also. I try to run 12-15 miles a week. When it gets too cold/snowy/icy to run outside this winter, I'm going to stay inside and do either Insanity or P90x. I figure i'll be down another 10lbs or so and will need to do some good strength exercises to help tone up. Insanity is good for that because it's cardio mixed with plyometrics. By the time I'm done with Insanity, it should be warm enough to head outside!!!
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Mizuno has a line of BreatheThermo clothing. When it gets wet, it actually generates some heat. I ran all last winter with the tech shirt, tights, wool socks, cap gloves and a windbreaker- would come back toasty warm and sweating every time! (Just don't wera it when it is 40 degress outside... quickly overheat!
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I am from Wisconsin and I and my wife run all winter outside. We dress in layers and run at 4:30 in the morning. There are times when we run while it is snowing. the only times we don't run is if it is below zero or if we got about 6 inches of snow overnight. It can be a challenge at times but it is very fulfilling to compete with ourselves to push through the weather and enjoy a good cold run!!:smile:
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    All winter last year I ran treadmill....treadmill only... 45 miles most weeks then ran a 1:55 half marathon last spring. :) I LOVE my treadmill
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I only run outside, all year long. The lowest I run in is around 40 degrees, give or take a few degrees either way, so that's a different climate than you've got; however, I dress in layers, like others have suggested. Today I broke out the hats and gloves. I bought knit hats on sale last year that have a sweat wicking material on the inside. They are the bomb diddly!