When nutritional info doesn't add up

Options
withchaco
withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
Take raw broccoli, for instance.

For 85g, it contains 4g carbs/ 0g fat/ 3g protein, and 25 calories.

But 1g carb = 4 calories = 1g protein, which means 85g raw broccoli should contain 7 x 4 = 28 calories?

Okay, so maybe they're rounding down... but look at THIS!

Trader Joe's low calorie light bread
11g carb/ 3g protein/ 0g fat... should add up to 14 x 4 = 56 calories
But supposedly contains only 40 calories??

Energy Kitchen's Chicken Club Wrap
36g carb/ 46g protein/ 14g fat = should add up to 328 + 126 = 454 calories
But only contains 395?

This one, I'm guessing they're subtracting the fiber (16g) from the carbs since fiber does not provide calories. Then it adds up to 390 calories. But I'm only guessing (and it doesn't work for Trader Joe's bread example). I don't know what the hell is going on.

Replies

• spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    I saw this somewhere, (so I can't take credit for being stupidly creative) but reading your question reminded me of it.

Every time I see a math problem to me it looks like this:
    Q: If I have 10 ice cubes, and you have 11 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof
    A: Purple, because aliens don't wear hats.

Edited to say: If I have 10 ice cubes = 0 calories, and you have 11 apples = well, more than my ice cubes, so I get to have more pancakes on my roof, unless your house is bigger.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I saw this somewhere, (so I can't take credit for being stupidly creative) but reading your question reminded me of it.

Q: If I have 10 ice cubes, and you have 11 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof

Edited to say: If I have 10 ice cubes = 0 calories, and you have 11 apples = well, more than my ice cubes, so I get to have more pancakes on my roof, unless your house is bigger.

actually your equation is a bit off. there is some necessary info missing... how big are the pancakes? also it depends on the type of roof and how you layer the pancakes. so maybe your roof can fit 300 pancakes side by side if its flat but even a smaller house with a slanted roof could fit more bc it covers more area and therefore more pancakes.

lol idk what im doing i just thought your post was hilarious
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options

LMAO
    thank you for the good laugh *S*
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

This is one of those posts that I don't find funny initially...then suddenly, ten minutes later, I am laughing like I've lost my damned mind. Delayed onset giggling is the best kind.