What to do, going on vacation soon?

During the first weekend of November, I'm going to be on a "vacation" of sorts. It'll be from Friday night to the following Tuesday afternoon, and I'm worried sick. My aunt and uncle are taking me sight-seeing for a few days, and then I'll be spending a couple days in a hotel. I'll be on the road for a few days and I'm scared that they'll stop at fast food joints or something, though, I kinda doubt it. There's still some worry. I'm going to be bringing low calorie snacks, even though they're going to be somewhat carby, like 100 calorie packs and cereal bars. I won't be doing a lot of walking and I can't easily exercise.

So, before anyone tells me that it's a vacation and I should just relax and enjoy and eat, I can't do that. I just can't do that. I have to stick with my diet, I don't want to gain ANY weight.

I generally follow the Road Map, eating at a 20% cut from my TDEE, but that's when I exercise 2 - 3 days a week. I was thinking, at least for those couple of days I can't really exercise, that I could try to keep my calories around 1300 - 1400 instead of 1600 - 1700 (just in case anyone is wondering, my TDEE is 2000 - 2100).

Any advice? I want to enjoy this vacation, but the worry about possibly gaining more weight and ending up more unhappy with myself is making it hard for me to find myself excited for it.

Replies

• eandrsmom
    eandrsmom Posts: 119
    Maybe focus on maintaining rather than losing over your vacation. Just about anywhere you go has a salad option with a grilled protein, dressing on the side that can be decently healthy. Your lifestyle changes need to fit your lifestyle, and vacations are a good thing! Hope you have a great time sightseeing! :smile:
  • Maybe focus on maintaining rather than losing over your vacation. Just about anywhere you go has a salad option with a grilled protein, dressing on the side that can be decently healthy. Your lifestyle changes need to fit your lifestyle, and vacations are a good thing! Hope you have a great time sightseeing! :smile:

Yeah, I guess you're right. I just really don't want to gain any weight.....
  • dotsoncck
    dotsoncck Posts: 26 Member
    Allow yourself one day to relax and not count calories. Then you can look forward to that day and stay on track the rest of the time. Walk as much as possible and eat a protein with your carbs so you don't get hungry as fast.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Buy a small cooler, pack grapes and stuff. I'm sure you're aunt and uncle will appreciate something different
  • eandrsmom
    eandrsmom Posts: 119
    Yeah, I guess you're right. I just really don't want to gain any weight.....
    [/quote]

You are talking about 4 days out of a lifetime. Years from now when you look back on this trip, you will remember the time you will spend with your family and the places you will visit. Your starting weight and ending weight won't make the scrapbook. I promise!!!! I am not saying let yourself graze on chicken wings and Hagen Daas all day, but the experience is worth so much more than a number on the scale!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Your idea of lower calories sounds sensible if you're really not going to walk. On the other hand, I might wear a pedometer to see if you're walking more than you know.

I traveled a lot since I've been on MFP and continued to lose a pound a week. I'm careful eating out, continue to log, and just watch it. Here's how I manage . . .

Eat a big breakfast with lots of protein - like eggs and fruit, not toast or waffles. Skip the butter.

Eat plain meats at lunch - a wrap and something like roast beef, skip the mayo/dressing and add lettuce and veggies to it. There's something on most menus that looks like a tortilla wrap and either chicken or roast beef without sauce. A burger isn't bad if you skip the fries.

When ordering dinner, eat veggies, not potatoes or rice. Order things without sauces - steak or a burger or fish or chicken breast.

For choices:
    Veggie over meat.
    Fish over chicken over pork over beef.

NO SAUCES. If that isn't an option, tomato is always better than a cream or cheese sauce.

Good luck.
  • Your idea of lower calories sounds sensible if you're really not going to walk. On the other hand, I might wear a pedometer to see if you're walking more than you know.

I traveled a lot since I've been on MFP and continued to lose a pound a week. I'm careful eating out, continue to log, and just watch it. Here's how I manage . . .

Eat a big breakfast with lots of protein - like eggs and fruit, not toast or waffles. Skip the butter.

Eat plain meats at lunch - a wrap and something like roast beef, skip the mayo/dressing and add lettuce and veggies to it. There's something on most menus that looks like a tortilla wrap and either chicken or roast beef without sauce. A burger isn't bad if you skip the fries.

When ordering dinner, eat veggies, not potatoes or rice. Order things without sauces - steak or a burger or fish or chicken breast.

For choices:
    Veggie over meat.
    Fish over chicken over pork over beef.

NO SAUCES. If that isn't an option, tomato is always better than a cream or cheese sauce.

Good luck.

Brilliant advice. Thank you so much!