How to stay within calorie limit?

Options
I'm 5'2 and 21 years old. I'm trying to lose weight primarily in my FACE. (yes, i know you can't specifically target weight loss areas but there's been a significant chub added to my facial region in the last few months and it's rather unattractive...) My target calorie intake is 1200 per day and I'm having a really hard time staying under this. I find that I'm always hungry! I've been eating a lot of veggies, beans, yogurt, tuna, etc and just not feeling satisfied so I end up turning to nuts and protein bars that are much more caloric.

I've also found that when I don't eat a lot of carbs I have no energy to work out. When I do eat carbs, I have the energy to work out, but I feel worse about myself and look in the mirror disgusted with my face because of what I ate. It's a viscous cycle. I've been trying to lose about 5 or 10 pounds for over a year now and am just discouraged and unsuccessful.

Can anyone help me?

Replies

• SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    OMG, I am in the same boat as you are. I find it so hard to stay with in that limit. I tend to do lots of walking, so i stay with in the 1200.
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your exercise? That way you can eat back some of your calories?
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Raise your calories to 1400-1500. You'll have more energy, guarantee it. It will also be easier to stick to it long-term if you don't feel so deprived. Also, there are worse things you could be eating than nuts and protein bars! Don't be so down on yourself! Be patient. :)
  • daryabella
    Options
    A 1200 calorie diet is pretty low especially if you're exercising/burning calories daily or frequently. I'm pretty sure you need to bump up your calorie goal. I know, I know... that's probably the last thing you want to do but your metabolism might be slowed down... your body needs food!! You can already tell that your body isn't as active when you don't eat as much carbs so continue to listen to your body. Eat balanced and enough and when you're hungry but (obviously) don't over eat.
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    Hi,
    Try eating good carbs, fruits, veggies, whole grains and Lean proteins. Also relax maybe up your intake to 1300 - 1400 and see if that helps you get rid of those extra pounds. Good luck on your journey.
  • sarahpolonus
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do track my exercise but lately I haven't had the energy to even do exercise. I don't know how many grams of carbs I should be eating and I seem to go over my limit almost everyday.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If you don't have the energy to exercise you are restricting too much. Add 100 calories and see if you feel better, eating right helps, but exercise is the key to keeping it off. It is also very important if you are eating at that low of a goal that every bite is truly nutritious, lean protein, lots of veggies, some good complex carbs like oatmeal or quinoa will give you energy. If you are feeling puffy try reducing sodium as well.
  • avgjoe2u
    avgjoe2u Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So I would say if your hungry your eating to many carbs and not enough protien. For me that was the big diffrence controling the carb intake. I always have a protien as a part of my breakfast eggs or a meat low fat tyson sausage pattie, bacon and somtimes ham. I try to stay with salad and again a protien or I splurge go to applebees and have the dijion chiken - the potatos and add broccoli. Having healthy snacks around are important to one of my biggest fears was going to bed hungry and not getting a good night sleep. Hear are some of my favorits roasted almonds, celery with peanut butter ,edamame ( soy beans ) and string cheese . Pit falls to watch out for dryed fruit its as bad as candy . Mayo is my biggest down fall so I mixed it with mustard and found I could trade it out for pesto. Also high fructose corn syrup in any form in any product.I find it in every thing from ritz crackers to the obvious soda pop. It shuts off your ability to know your full. Drink water. Having said all that everyone is diffrent and what works for me may not work for you at all. I pray that you find your path and reach your goal