Soreness after running

I am just getting back into running/jogging. I can run/jog a 12 min mile, I know slow. The next day I have horrible shin splints to the point that I can go running for a few days. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to avoid this or treat it?
I really need to figure something out because right now this is my way to exercise. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you in advance.
:smile:

Replies

• Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 627 Member
    I suffered (and still do if I overdo it) from shin splints for a very long time.

Shin splints are caused by your calf muscle being stronger than your shin muscle and therefore pulling the muscle off the bone.

Once the tear happens, the only thing you can do is use RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation)

However if it has not yet happened use a compression sleeve on your shin when running, make sure its tight, this will restrict your calf from flexing too hard and pulling the shin muscle off your bone. Everytime you cause shin splits...you basically start over rebuilding that shin. If you can go a while without causing shin splits...you can strengthen your shins so it does not happen anymore.

I'm to the point where I can do 45-50 minutes @ 6mph now without shin splints...if I go faster I can feel them coming on. They key is DO NOT let it get there...if it does...you will be out of commision and pretty much start over. Losing weight also helps, if you are overweight, your calves work harder to maintain your steps...losing weight puts less pressure on the calves.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Shin splints? Like muscle soreness? In some cases shin splints may refer to simple muscle soreness (at least I have seen some people use this term for that) and in some problems with a bone itself or other things not just muscle soreness but since that was in title I assume you mean just soreness...?

Well, you cant really avoid it, if it's simply a muscle soreness cos you are not used to exercise. You need to deal with it and let the body to get used to it. Rest a couple of days then go run again. With time your body will get used to it and you will need less and less time to recover until you can run every day without pain.

You should stretch leg muscles before and after jog, that can help quite a lot.
    Drink a lot of water.
    Eat some foods high in protein to help muscles to recover faster.
    You can take a warm bath and/or massage your hurting muscles to help with blood flow and recovery.
    Put ice on muscle... this will get ride of pain for a while but unlike warm bath does not really help with recovery itself, as much as I know.
    Also, some easy movement in muscles can help recover faster as well, get them moving even if it hurts. Just a little bit, not full workout, just move them up and do like 20 - 30% of your fill cardio.

If you talk about other stuff, not muscle soreness only, then the best thing you con do is to rest. Put some ice on it.
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    If you are able to, head to a running store and have your gait tested. Most will do it for free. I was having shin splints and found out that I was not running correctly.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Here is the best advice you'll get. Go to a running store - a real running store, not a big box sporting goods store. Get fitted for running shoes by the staff. They'll check the way you run, land, your gait, etc. and will find shoes that fit YOU. Pay the money for said shoes, it'll be worth it. I had shin splints too, and this was my cure...it's worked for many others here as well.
  • Warm up longer.
    Slow down during your run.
    Cool down.

Can we assume that you have decent running shoes that fit properly?
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    It may be the shoes. Go to your local running store, bring your shoes (that your run with you), and have them look at them. It could be your stride, how you pronate, or a dozen reasons.

I had shin splints like a mother^&%^*& until I got me some control motion Dyad 6's made by Brooks. No splints til then and running 6-7 miles a day pain free.

That is my two cents.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    I echo jsj024519 (exactly what I was going to write)

Even the same shoes... thats just creepy.
  • Boobookittyfq
    Boobookittyfq Posts: 454 Member
    My husband is in the military and had shin splints for a while ... takes time to heal def. need some good shoes for support also depends if ur running on trails or flat surfaces has a lot to do with. If anything try to ice them after a run it'll hurt at the beginning but i'll help also using Tiger Balm rubbing on the shins after a run.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    I do a proper warm up and wear compression socks. Every time I get back to running I experience shin soreness. If it's not your shoes you may be doing too much too fast. I also do toe taps in my warm up. Looks silly but I swear it helps.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Alternate walking and running. The walking gives your muscles time to recover.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Also make sure you are warming up properly, good shoes (btw, you do not need to break the bank to get a decent pair of shoes and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!), stay well hydrated and know that soreness will subside with continued running. Your muscles just need to strengthen. When I first started I thought I would have to stop due to extreme pain in my knees, well I have done 10 5k's and 2 mud runs since April, so trust me, they will get better if you continue!
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    I used to get this often solved it ,by

Walking for 10 mins briskly to warm up then stretch

Jog even slower, i know you dont want to but gradually get faster over a few weeks. You should be able to talk while jogging.

Walk to cool down 5-10 mins then stretch again.

Do not continue until the pain is gone completely or it just keeps coming back and you can do more damage.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    I get shin splints as well, What helps me is I foam roll before & after running, and stretch for a good 10 minutes before my run. If I feel them coming on while im running i'll stop and stretch for a couple of minutes and keep going. I will also run-jump for like 2 mins while im running and I swear it helps lol!
  • jesssonj05
    jesssonj05 Posts: 14 Member
    I do have proper running shoes, and warm up. I will try warming up a bit longer. I am also going to go to the shoe store and have the gait test. Thank you for all the suggestions I am going to stay well hydrated and try several suggestions. I will let you know what works the best.
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Proper running shoes are a must as everyone else has said.
    I can't overemphasize the importance of stretching before and after running. Really stretching out the calf muslces and all the muscles of the leg have eliminated my problems. I found a Pro Stretch at my shoe store that is amazing. Google it! I also have found that shoe orthotics support my arch and assist in relieving a lot of strain on my tendons which can cause muscle soreness and injury. Good luck! Don't give up, but don't do too much too soon. Pace yourself!
  • jesssonj05
    jesssonj05 Posts: 14 Member
    I went jogging this morning at a little slower pace but a longer distance. I stretched a bit more this morning and did a longer warm-up, and stretched as I went. When I was finished I had my husband stretch me out and drank the amount of water that I lost. So far my shins aren't killing me to walk or touch them.
    I am going to still have the gait test done. HappyLaddy123 I will look into getting a Pro Stretch.
    So far I am feeling great and the stretching and not pushing my self to hard has helped. Thank you.
  • I had them bad when I started running. This is what helped me:
    1. get fitteed for shoes
    2. wear compression socks after running
    3. dont do to much to soon, slow down if needed
    4. warm up longer
    5. foam roll after running.
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    I have suffered from shin splints that prevented me from running. I discovered (for me) that the issue was my sneakers. Since I switched to running flats I never get shin splints anymore. The bonus is that they're insxpensive and when they get stinky you can throw them in the washing machine.
  • You got good advice here, I would suggest something that I found recently which is sitting on your heels. Add that to your stretching routine. I also sit on one heel only while the other foot is bent and tucked in, this way I stretch the shin on one foot and the calf on the other foot at the same time, while writing this post :) after a while I alternate feet. Oh that feels so good, right there, yes oh god god oh yes ah y...try it try it ah...good ah
  • I use a golf ball muscle roller, it definitely helps my body be way less sore then before i used it. Anyone else have one? http://zzathletics.com/Golf-Ball-Muscle-Roller-Massager-GBMR1.htm