Afraid to go shopping

Options
So this sunday is birthday. I really want to go jean shopping and buy myself a pair. My 18's are falling off of me, but I'm legitimately scared to go shopping just to find I haven't actually dropped to a 16 yet. I'm neurotic enough to spend the past half hour looking up average hip measurements for a size 16.....I seem to be in the range....but I'm worried i'll go and nothing will fit and i'll be devastated. I've been really discouraged recently and trying to push myself through. On one hand, fitting into a 16 would be a great punch of motivation, while finding them too tight would likely bring me to tears! I've worked my butt off for the last 6 months, have lost 32 pounds and hardly dropped a size!!!!! Any advice would be wonderful.

Replies

• dorilou1969
    Options
    honey, if your pants are falling off after losing 32 pounds, you will fit into the smaller size. you have nothing to be afraid of!
  • shgreenw
    shgreenw Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    honey, if your pants are falling off after losing 32 pounds, you will fit into the smaller size. you have nothing to be afraid of!

^^^This! Good luck!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Go shopping! If your current pants are falling off, odds are you've dropped at least a pant size. In fact, it's entirely possible you may have dropped more than one. Just remember that there is a wide variation amoung designers/stores, so don't get discouraged if the first pair doesn't fit right. Try on a few pairs from different stores. I'll bet you will be pleasantly surprised.
    Happy Birthday!!!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised how good shopping feels after weight loss!

You don't notice your weight loss as much as you'd think & when you go shopping it REALLY shows in your clothing size! I'm shocked every time I go and have to get the next size or two down from what I originally thought would fit.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have lost about the same as you and I have only dropped one size. I lose weight from the waist up moreso than waist down in the beginning. I wouldn't be afraid to try the 16's...sounds like you are probably ready.

Remember, though....a 16 made by one manufacturer is liable to be totally different from a 16 by another manufacturer. So if one doesn't fit, I bet another one will. :)
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Brands vary soooo much even if you did go and you fit an 18, it really does not mean much. Trust your measurements at home more.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Well, my 34 lbs took me from a 16 to a 10... so it's entirely possible you not only dropped to a 16 but you may fit a 14 or even a 12 at this point... go and find out!! You need new pants, girl!
  • rockingallovertheworld
    Options
    Go shopping and treat yourself to some new jeans. Just remember that a size 16 in one shop is different to a size 16 in another shop so don't become disheartened if the first size 16 doesn't fit. Also remember that different styles of jeans will make a difference. But having said this I am sure by the amount of weight you have lost the first pair you try on will be perfect.
    Have a fab birthday and enjoy your shopping!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing a couple of months ago. The idea of shopping made me panic. I walked into and out of a store and had an anxiety attack in the car. But I forced myself to go in another store and managed to find several pairs of pants. It really wasn't bad once I made myself try at least one thing on. Everything I tried on either fit or was too big. Just decide to try on one thing, I bet you'll find it's not that painful and dare I say it, fun!
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your shopping trip. You deserve at least a new pair of jeans after all of the hard work you have put in! While you are out, perhaps a belt too. I bought a few to help me through the in-between sizes stages. Plus, it is an AMAZING feeling when you get to tighten the belt another notch!
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I have another silly worry on top of that....Im worried, if they do fit, that I'll be okay being a size 16 - sure I want to be a 12 but 16 is the first size that doesnt sound so bad.....stupid I know
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    all of my pants are falling off! my two pairs of goal pants are the only ones that fit me, but there falling off my butt constantly! so i have to wash clothes ALL the time.. but, i guess im worried about what your worried about but,i will after 7 more lbs down kelsey(me) will go shopping!
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I had the same fear. My 16's were seemingly loose, and I was getting sick of tightening a belt all the time, but I was afraid that 14's wouldn't fit quite right yet either.... turns out I was at a size 12. Glad I went.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Just get over the size thing!

Honestly, I have pants that I wear that fit me nicely that range from size 2 (I know -- what is that?) to size 10. I have two pairs of Lucky Jeans that are different cuts, one a size 28 and the other a 29 -- and the 29's fit tighter than the 28's. There's no rhyme or reason to women's clothing sizes, so you need to let it go, my friend.

In the end, all that matters is that your clothes fit comfortably and that they look good. If the size bugs you, cut the tags out. Before I lost my 30 I had some size 14's that I cut the tags out of -- made me feel much better and no one was any the wiser.

Happy shopping!