Protein powder with NO gluten, dairy, whey

Options
I have discovered that whey does not agree with me. I thought it was a dairy intolerance, which it will may be but whey definitely is an issue. I cut out dairy for a few days and didn't experience any gas/bloating/cramping like I had been for the last week or two (which, coincidentally was when I had bought the tub of protein powder) I have been free of symptoms until this morning about 10 minutes after drinking a protein shake to test it out.
So...I need a protein powder with no gluten, dairy (in case I am intolerant) and whey. I also prefer something with no artificial sweeteners. I saw one advertised in an issue of Clean Eating magazine that looks interesting, it's called Vega One and is gluten and dairy free, but is sweetened with Stevia. I don't know much about Stevia but in't it an artificial sweetener?
Any info would be appreciated!

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I use Nutiva hemp protein powder. It is 15 grams of protein for 90 calories. Unlike other plant-based proteins, protein from hemp seeds is a complete protein and also contains the perfect ratio of Omega 3 and 6. If you are looking for a plant-based protein, there is none better than the protein from hemp seeds, nutritionally speaking.

Edit: hemp protein powder has no sweetener added. It is pure, cold-pressed seeds. I put it in my smoothies and use fruit or juice for sweetener. Also, I think stevia is a great sweetener.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Carnivor Beef Isolate. Per scoop: 124 cals, 23g protein, 8g carbs, 0g fat, 0g sugar, and a buttload of B vitamins and some Creatine for good measure.

It does contain a very small amount of sucralose though.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I get my protein powder from TrueNutrition.com - a 75%/25% blend of gemma pea and brown rice protein is dairy-free, gluten-free, 118 calories and 25g protein per scoop. You can order it unsweetened or in several flavors - one of which is stevia, which is a natural plant-based sweetener.

The price is right, too - I get it for about $5 per pound.
  • Im4gin3th4t
    Im4gin3th4t Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use Vega protein powders. No gluten, dairy or soy. Has a great mix of pea, hemp, rice, and alfalfa protein and no artificial flavors :). Thats just the performance protein, they also have a complete nutrition and some other things. But they are fantastic! I love my vanilla protein powder
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Stevia comes from a plant (the Stevia plant I believe) and is much closer to a natural sweetener than any other artificial sweetener. I haven't used it myself, but I've heard that it's not bad.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb has an egg protein. I just picked some up, but I haven't tried it yet. If it tastes anything like the whey, it'll be delicious.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Carnivor Beef Isolate. Per scoop: 124 cals, 23g protein, 8g carbs, 0g fat, 0g sugar, and a buttload of B vitamins and some Creatine for good measure.

You had me up until the sucralose. Causes bad reactions. :frown: (Yes, you CAN have allergic reactions to Splenda!)
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few out there - you can look up brown rice protein, hemp protein, pea protein.....
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use the now pea protein nothing in it except pea protein.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I use the NOW Foods Egg White Protein Powder, it is supposedly the most bio-available protein and I love it. It doens't taste like anything (you can buy flavored though) and it mixes into everything very well. It has no additives or anything nasty, just 100% egg white powder. For 1/4 cup of it, it has 75 calories and 16g protein. It is cheap too- I got 1.2 lbs of it for $12

Good Luck!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I tried Plant Fusion after everyone in the health food store raved about it. I found it to have a gross, artificial sweetness to it. It's flavored with Stevia, but it's overbearing. I need to figure out what to do with the tub of it, because I can't use it to make shakes. Ewww...

I went back to Spirutein, which is GF. If you check the label and it works out for you, it's decent and doesn't have the overbearing synthetic taste that the plant fusion has. I put the vanilla in greek yogurt. It's delicious that way. :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I use NutriBiotic Vegan Rice Proten (no soy either). It's a little gritty so it would be better to do it smoothie style. Almond milk is a great dairy replacement, I like the Unsweetened vanilla.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

You had me up until the sucralose. Causes bad reactions. :frown: (Yes, you CAN have allergic reactions to Splenda!)

I've tried to tell people that I react to it (red, welty hives that itch), and they look at me like I'm nuts. Stuff's pure powdered evil in a packet for some of us.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    This is info I would also love to know. I have a gluten intolerance and bought Soy protein b/c I thought that was okay but I am now assuming that has soy in it too? :ohwell: I am new to the whole gluten free eating.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    stevia is a natural sweetner.

J Robb makes an egg white protein powder I buy for my mother who is lactose intolerant and eating gluten free with me. It comes in a number of flavors (and unflavored) and also has natural sweetners. I use J Robb's whey protein which is the only powder I've found tha doesn't give me a stomache ache.

Good luck!
  • ladybug11
    ladybug11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I get my protein powder from TrueNutrition.com - a 75%/25% blend of gemma pea and brown rice protein is dairy-free, gluten-free, 118 calories and 25g protein per scoop. You can order it unsweetened or in several flavors - one of which is stevia, which is a natural plant-based sweetener.

The price is right, too - I get it for about $5 per pound.

^^^^This.

I get the Vanilla Birthday Cake from TrueNutrition and it is DELICIOUS! They have a huge variety of flavors and protein bases. I use the pea protein and have stevia added to mine because it is not artificial.

Also, it is a pre-digested protein so there is no bloat.

I have used Vega One before, but the taste is not great.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I've tried to tell people that I react to it (red, welty hives that itch), and they look at me like I'm nuts. Stuff's pure powdered evil in a packet for some of us.

Also, isolates are created using solvents, which more often than not, are petroleum-based.
  • lisaann1061
    lisaann1061 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love Vega One protein powder - Vanilla Chai. I blend it with almond milk, chia seeds, and some ground cinnamon
  • ajvanyo
    ajvanyo Posts: 1
    Options
    So ladybug. How are you getting that mix for $5 a lb? I went on to order that & its over $8 a lb. Am i missing something somewhere? Would love to try it. Also whats the benefit of pea protein? thanks
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Arbonne's protein is plant based and vegan