Frustrating NSV

Options
About 2 years ago (to the day) I bought a pair of jeans for an event. They were a little snug but they were a good price so i decided to do the dreaded "just pair them with a looser top and no one will notice". Since then, there was a point when the d*** things wouldn't go over my butt and came nowhere near buttoning. Proud to say that those jeans became my everoryday jeans! Not that long ago I had a similar experience, I went back to the same store and found a pair of jeans on the sale rack for $10 (down from 60) I tried them on and they were again a little snug, but i decided that I would buy them anyway and hold on to them until they fit, which they did after a few weeks.

The frustrating part: As a poor student who just moved out for the first time, these are my only two pairs of pants! and now they are comically baggy on me (were talking droopy bum)! I hesitate to buy new jeans since I still have 30-40 lbs to go, I've been meaning to try some thrift shops, although there's none in my town.

All in all though, I am definitely not complaining! I'm pretty glad those jeans dont' fit me anymore! haha

Replies

• carolannrichard
    Options
    I know the feeling, I refused to buy any "new" clothes until I lost weight. Try looking at yard sales in your area. You may be surprised at the finds. Sometimes you can find brand new clothing that was never worn, or lots of things in really great condition. Just a thought, I remember being the poor college student.
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    yep - I know what you are talking about! The other day I wore a pair of loose pants to work and one of my friends told me they were too big and not to wear them anymore!! Like you, I do not want to spend a bunch of $$$ on clothes I hope to outgrow in a couple months. I did check thrift stores but have trouble finding plus sizes there. I did manage to go into a Lane Bryant and found a sale rack of $25 items that were half off and got a pair of jeans for $12.50. Also was able to find a 2nd pair of jeans on a sale rack at K-Mart for $9.99. Just keep looking - they may not be exactly what you want but for a few weeks they will do.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Ask around if anyone has some jeans in your size that you could borrow for a few weeks.
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've experienced this too and as a student myself I can understand the frustration!!

I bought an absolutely beautiful (not cheap) dress 6 months ago that I love and only wore it once. Tried it on for an event recently and it FELL off me :( I'm actually keeping it until I reach my GW so I can see if I can get it altered to fit haha
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Ask around if anyone has some jeans in your size that you could borrow for a few weeks.

This...try your friends closet, I'm sure they'll have a few things that you can borrow :) mine did and I scored an entire new wardrobe but luckily a lot of the clothes will still work with a belt as I continue to lose weight
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Great job!
    I had a fave pair of black jeans that were perfect. They were a flattering pair of skinny jeans (such a thing exists!), fit me perfectly and were as comfortable as pajamas (brand: Macy's Style & Co). And they are too loose now. So I just ordered a new pair online (two sizes smaller, I assume they'll be a bit too snug for me now but they should work with me for awhile before I hope to be going down another size or two)

I personally need to stay away from the clearance racks at Target. I keep buying 'transitional' clothes and I'm getting too much! Sizes that are just a tad bit tight (and should fit in a few weeks or so) and sizes that are about a full size smaller and are a goal I work towards.
    I just can't help it. So many cute colored, skinny jeans on the clearance rack!
  • roswyn80
    roswyn80 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Well done for losing weight!

I'm in the same boat... pretty much I just have one pair of jeans left that fit. One older pair will drop off if I put my mobile in my pocket, and they were my everyday jeans when I started losing weight!

When I tried on my suit for work the other day I realised the jacket is now way too big for me, but I'm not going to buy a new one until I've lost as much as I hope to lose.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My mistake purchase was buying a leather jacket (on sale, but still pricey for me) before I started MFP. I just hauled it out to wear over a light sweater now that the weather is cooler and it's friggin' huge. Bulkier sweaters needed I guess, since I can't afford another leather jacket.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Same here, my jeans are (with a little help) falling off. NO BUTTONING or anything... just a little push.. Luckly, been down this road again, so I kept all the cute cloths, I just need to find the right bag with the right side.. lol I o get my cloths from the thrift stores, there is no shortage of them in UT

My husband is also on a journey, he looks like an orphan in his jeans and xl t-shirts. but will not buy anything until he is done... He happens to have 1 pair of jeans that will fit soon. after that, he is lost. Thankfully he only has about 30 lbs to go.
  • ggsmamma
    ggsmamma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could take all your "too big" clothes to a consignment store & sell them for store credit? Then when your stuff sells, you could use that credit to get some new used stuff.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Try ebay, I picked up some brand new stuff really cheap.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I have been shopping at Goodwill since starting my weight loss, i have already had to go back three times. When I get closer to Goal i will consider new clothes again.
  • JesssHerzner
    Options
    It's a curse and a blessing! I'm out on my own for the first time and when I lose weight it's ALWAYS around the time when I'm struggling with money. I've ended up going to the Good Will or St. Vincet De Paul and buy everything for dirt cheap. It doesn't matter if they're name brand, because I know they won't last long, and the money I'm saving can go towards awesome clothes when I reach my goal weight :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Have you tried Ebay? I've had a few cheap pairs off there.
  • brittrose33
    Options
    I lost 15 pounds before MFP and I have the exact same problem. All summer I wore second hand, random shorts and tanks that my friends passed on in pity since I was wearing the same pair of raggedy brown cargo shorts that were falling off. I get my pay check this Friday and I'm in desperate need for jeans, so I'm sucking it up and getting a new pair (I own one pair with massive holes in the inner thighs, not cute). I'm thinking of going with a couple dresses/skirts with thick tights instead of jeans, that way when I lose more weight (hopefully my goal of 55 pounds) I can just belt the dresses and pretend it's fashion until I can't get away with it anymore.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    You are experiencing 'Clown Pants', beloved of many an MFPal :love:
  • lauraatkinson85
    lauraatkinson85 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Put them on ebay and then use the money you make to buy new clothes that fit! you wouldnt believe what people will buy on there! x
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    "Public school teacher poor" is second only to "grad student poor".
    I've been in the same situation and have had some luck washing the saggy-baggies in the hottest water possible then drying them in the hottest dryer possible. Of course, it helped having a washer with a setting labeled "koch" that put out near boiling water. :laugh:
  • cat99503
    Options
    Ebay! This way, you can sell your bigger clothes, then buy new clothes with the cash :)

I had a dress I loved that was too big for me which I sold on Ebay, then bought the identical dress in a smaller size on Ebay with the money...kinda like recycling :)
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    second hand sewing machine will be your friend.
    I am in the process of taking all me jeans in . its a bit of work and takes me a few hours each but ( and i have to be a bit careful when i am joining 3-4 pieces of fabric at certain points ( ie back seam to waist band )) but it means i can keep my jeans for longer and they are perfectly fitted to me ( no gaping waist bands!)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!