Vegetarians/Vegans: High (25-30%+) protein foods

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
I prefer fresh veggies and fruit because I am slowly incorporating more of them into my diet. What vegetables are highest in protein and what fruit or other food are high in protein? I know egg whites are, but I want some other ideas. I was told quinoa too. I basically am looking for 30% protein. I would like to do a 40% carb 30% fat 30% protein diet and slowly lower my fat and add more carbs & protein to it.

Replies

• abibt
    abibt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to meet my protein requirements so did a little looking and found this:

Beans

Although technically considered fruits and legumes, beans top the list when it comes to protein-rich food sources. Pinto, garbanzo, white, kidney, lima and soy beans are all packed with protein. Per 100g, the average protein content of beans is 9g, but some varieties contain as much as 12g per 100g – making the almighty bean the vegetarian source of protein.

Asparagus

Per serving, asparagus delivers over 3g of protein. This lanky, green vegetable is extremely versatile, as it can be boiled, grilled, steamed or fried.

Cauliflower

Excellent in curries and soups and equally appealing eaten mashed or as a steamed side dish; not only is cauliflower versatile and healthy but it contains 3g of protein per serving.

Broccoli and Brussels Sprouts

Tying for fourth place are two more examples of healthy, green vegetables: broccoli and brussels sprouts. Both of these vegetables are protein-rich, low in fat and easily prepared; making them ideal side-dishes.
    Artichoke

Artichoke is another vegetable that is high on the list when it comes to protein content. Serving up just under 3g of protein per serving, artichokes are an excellent addition to pasta, salads and soups and provide an earthy, intense flavor.
    Watercress

Tiny yet surprisingly rich in protein, watercress is next on the list. Per 100g serving, watercress delivers almost 3g of protein, which, for its size, renders it an excellent source of the nutrient. Perfect for salads, soups and sandwiches, watercress can easily find its way into your diet.
    Sweetcorn

It might be slightly more calorific than the other vegetables listed here, but sweetcorn also has its benefits: Per serving, it contains almost 3g of protein and is a delicious addition to many popular recipes.

I think peas are good (I guess in the legumes category), and really easy to add to meals or make soup with. My better protein days involve cottage cheese, nuts and yoghurt though. Good luck and let me know what you find out
  • abibt
    abibt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Check out this link:

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vegetables-high-in-protein.php

Potatoes don't feature, but fitday do a list that has peas at the top and includes potato, chickpeas and spinach. The perfect veggie curry in fact :happy:
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i don't eat red meat and my husband is vegetarian (which means our dinners tend to be vego) and I've found that I have needed to supplement with shakes/bars reasonably regularly.

I'm really trying hard to reduce carbs (from about 70 per cent - carbaholic here!) and up protein, but without the shakes and bars, I struggle to meet my goals.
  • 69Greer
    69Greer Posts: 36
    Options
    OK, so I'm so not a vegetarian but definitely respect the lifestyle. I'm more of a neo-Southerner - a redneck with an edumacation :) Anyway, I've got to testify for the good ole' peanut. It is peanut harvest season where I live and fresh roasted, boiled, or raw, they are an excellent protein source (the highest of any nut except they are actually legumes). One handfull (about an ounce) will provide you with 7g of protein. Not bad at all and quite tasty.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I find it hard to meet my protein requirements so did a little looking and found this:

Thanks a lot! I mostly hear of quinoa and tofu so your ideas mean a lot. :]
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Wow I didnt see the other replies because I had forgotten to send my comment Lol I didnt purposely ignore anyone and thank you for all the ideas! I actually just found 2 jars of PB2 (powdered peanut butter?) on Amazon for $10 and I can get 2 day shipping free to try it. :] I read that it is pretty tasty.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Beans

Although technically considered fruits and legumes, beans top the list when it comes to protein-rich food sources. Pinto, garbanzo, white, kidney, lima and soy beans are all packed with protein. Per 100g, the average protein content of beans is 9g, but some varieties contain as much as 12g per 100g – making the almighty bean the vegetarian source of protein.

oh yeh, I eat them every day!

for breakfast I have fruit toast which has 11.4g a serving + 3.4g from a 15g serving of natural peanut butter (no sugar / salt )

my usual lunch is 200g of organic baked beans, a piece of toast, a fried or poached egg and a veggie sausage. gives me about 20g of protein.

nuts are good too!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Some ovo-lacto vegetarian higher protein foods are:
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Tofu
    Edamame
    Seitan
    Whey protein powder
    Lima beans
  • honeytee
    Options
    Hey! I'm veggie and was struggling with upping my protein in a balanced way so I've started to incorporate protein shakes, usually every other day but I'm seriously noticing a difference in my energy and sporting activities, it may be a little lazy but it works for me! :D
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas! :]
  • watcheronthewall
    Options
    Not a veggie, but I'm definitely interested in veggie sources of protein :)
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is good for lacto-ovos.
    Obviously, protein powder is another option. They have vegan protein powders.
    Tofu.
    I've also heard avocado has some protein.
    Hummus has protein, but not a ton.