Gym: What do you do there?

Options
I am asking because all I have been doing is running almost 5 miles, then I tan and leave, I feel like I should be doing upper body , lower body and or abs, on Alternating days, but I never do, So do you do all or just some, and do you still lose weight with what you are doing.. Ive been at a stand still weight wise, and I should be stricter about logging my calories but fitness wise, should I be doing more.... And what are some pointers from your own workouts?

Replies

• elvisbus
    elvisbus Posts: 1
    Options
    Lifting weights will get you tone faster but like you I'm more inclined to swim or run. Cardio is king! I did however find yoga to get a good core workout. Maybe you gym has a class you could join that way you're not on your own trying to get toned. Good health.
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    I do latin dance fitness a few times a week, a couple sessions of weight training and a pilates for stretching :)
  • niccup
    niccup Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi There!

From what ive learned, adding in some light weights helps you burn more fat and burn it even when you are resting. Its a myth that it will bulk you up. Girls dont have enough testosterone to bulk up. The theory is working for me and others I know. Ask someone at the gym. im sure they know all about it. Take care
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I usually do cardio on the elliptical followed by strength training. Upper body one day, lower body the next. I've recently started a Yoga-Pilates class once a week.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I feel you should be utilizing those weights and machine to build muscle and tone up! You are losing weight with diet and cardio ,now you need to fill the loose skin with muscle. Tanned toned bodies look better than skinny ones! If you are not sure how or what the machine do, just ask! That is their job! I think you would look awesome with a well toned body!! I lift HEAVY three times per week and I am NOT bulky like some think will happen if they lift! I try to do cardio everyday and lift 3X per week and I am about to turn 51 !! Best wishes!!
  • RJFarr
    RJFarr Posts: 10
    Options
    I love the classes my gym offers: pilates, yoga, zumba, kickboxing, Kettlebell, custom cuts,etc. Does your Gym offer classes? if so, start taking them! try everything at least once, and the suggestion of adding weights is terrific. one thing that might help is getting a personal trainer for just a few weeks, to help you establish a workout you can do without assistance.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    You should definitely start doing low weight, high reps (15-18) for upper and lower body. Muscle burns energy like crazy--cardio burns now, muscle burns always--and it's not just biceps that will get you there. Your abs and your obliques, you need to tone all your muscles. And don't worry about bulking up, you have to lift like crazy to bulk up. Plus as long as you are eating a calorie deficit your body won't have the fuel to produce a whole lot of muscle.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I like to mix up my workouts... keeps me from getting bored. I try to do a little cardio everyday (even just 30 minutes). I love the elliptical and stationary bike... I also take a kickboxing class twice a week. LOVE IT! You get soooo toned from this class, no joke!
    The days I do a light cardio session I try to lift some weights. Nothing heavy because I don't want bulk! Light weights and lots of reps to tone muscles. Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have seen a huge difference when I added more strenght to my workout. I am so much stronger of a runner. I have been doing the 100 push up challenge....that has been fun. I also cross training. I make sure that I don't waste workouts. I dont think it is necessary to run 5 miles tho I think 3 mile work outs are enough unless u are training for some serious races.
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Running 5 miles is amazing. I wish I could do that, but I usually go for 45 minutes to an hour on the elliptical, followed by a half-hour in the weight room. The key is to have a routine of exercises for different parts of your body -- legs, arms, abs, etc. I always do at least three sets on the bench press machine, where I have worked up from 45 pounds to 90 pounds, doing about 10-12 reps each time. Other ones I like are the leg press, dips and chins, abductor and adductor (thigh muscles), squat machine and low row, and lunges holding 5 pound weights. I also do a lot of crunches and bicycles on a mat, followed by trying to hold the plank position as long as I can. If you have an iPhone, there is a great app called iFitness that lists hundreds of exercises and shows you how to do them.
  • sunofabeachmama
    Options
    You have to mix it up a bit or you'll get bored. I belong to a gym that offers Les Mills classes, Boby Pump which is weight lifting to music, Boby Flow which is a combination of Yoga, Tai Chi and Pilates, Boby Step, RMP (Spinning), and Boby Combat which is kick boxing and tai chi. Monday's is RPM, Tuesday is Pump, Wednesday is running on the tread mill and stationary biking, Thursday RMP again, Friday Flow, Saturday Pump and Combat. Sunday's I like to hike. You just have to do what you like and keep moving.
  • smalltowngirl504
    Options
    Thanks for the respones,! I think I am going to check out Yoga and Pilates as well as start using the machines, for uppper body one day, lower, and then abs... :) I really enjoyed hearing your responses and learning from you!!

I run 5 miles in 60 mins, I run for 60 minutes on an elliptical but its a crosstrainer one thats I have at an incline, I will be doing arms and abs tomorrow as well! Thanks again everyone ...!