Jillian vs Chalean???

Options
Hello all, I've been reading so many post about Jillian Micheals and a few on Chalene Johnson's DVDs. I have not done any of them yet but have been looking to buy a new workout soon. Has anyone tried both??? Can you tell me some of the differences?? Turbo Fire vs 30 shred??? Ripped in 30 vs Turbo Kick??? Chalean Extreme vs. Body Revolution??? Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Replies

• becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    With the exception of body revolution, other jillian michaels DVDs are stand alone and tend to be reasonably priced. Chalene Johnson's DVDs are through beachbody and are programmes so more expensive - I'm not sure about turbo jam as I think that might be a stand alone.

I prefer Chalene Johnson's motivational attitude and I think she beats jillian michaels hands down on promoting good form, but if I want a boot camp workout I'd pull out one of jillian michael's DVDs! That said, I owe a lot to jillian michaels, because I'd never really got into workout DVDs before I did the 30DS, so I I'm loathe to diss her too much.
  • rrhennen
    rrhennen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like both and gotta give credit for Jillian to getting me started on weights in the first place. But I love Chalean and ChaLean Extreme. In fact, I bought P90X earlier this year, but decided to go back to CXT first. It's a great workout, but I really like how Chalean sets you up for each move and explains form throughout.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Chalene is how I fell in love with workout dvds. So if you're just getting started I say start with her programs. I feel that you will always come back to her (I know I do whenever I want to quit and need to recharge). Jillian will help you finish up your journey as you will have built up stamina and have already lost weight with chalene. I love them both, but I run back to chanlene, and I usually just run from Jillian.lol. Though, Jillian makes your body even more cut and beautiful. She just works you to near death is all. Either way you are making a great decision. Good luck :happy:
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    So I have never done a Jillian work out so take my opinion for what it is worth. I have seen Jillian's style and I just don't like it, I don't like being yelled at or talked down to which is why I never did any of her videos. I absolutely love Chalene Johnson and am a week away from completing my first round of ChaLean Extreme and going to go right into a ChaLean Extreme/ Turbo Fire hybrid. I just love her attitude and the ability to make you feel like she is right there with you holding your hand.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Jillian is not mean in her dvds at all, she is not like how she is on the show Losing It or Biggest Loser:smooched:
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I love JM as a fitness celebrity, but Chalene changed my fitness life. IMO, Chalene and her workout programs are the very best. She is probably the most motivating video instructor out there. OTOH, every JM DVD I've purchased goes into the "sell used on Amazon" pile. Personally, JM's DVDs just don't "click" for me. I'd say, go with Chalene.

It's true that most of Chalene's programs are sold as full sets but you can sometimes find them for less online at Amazon or eBay.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    I have done all of those workouts and I very strongly suggest anything Chalene Johnson does over Jillian Michaels hands down!

They're more fun, more effective, hold your attention better, more motivational, and I feel sooo much better after a Chalene Johnson workout over a Jillian Michaels workout.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Charlene is less annoying than Jillian. I really want to slap Jillian so I can't do her videos.
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I much prefer Chalean over Jillian. I really don't like Jillians attitude and don't find her motivating at all.
    I've started with Turbo Jam and I've worked my way into to turbo fire and I actually enjoy doing the work outs as opposed to the Jillian Michaels one.

I also feel like I get more out of the Turbo Fire than I ever did with the 30DS. I love having Chalean on facebook too because she is just so motivating and her attitude is amazing. She does really seem to be about making the world a healthier place, and for that I like her more.
  • fashionlove505
    Options
    I think they are both great trainers! If you want someone who is super intense then go with Jillian. If you are a beginner and not looking for something too intense then go with Chalene. Chalene is really nice, but still pushes you. Jillian is also nice, but pushes you so hard that you kind of yell at her through the TV. (Which sometimes can be a good thing.) Overall they are both great trainers but if you want someone more peppy go with Chalene and if you want someone more like pushing you then go will Jillian. I also recommend switching them throughout the days depending on how you feel. If you are feeling more tired go with Chalene but it ypu are ready to push go with Jillian. Hope this helps!!! :happy: :bigsmile:
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I have done all of those workouts and I very strongly suggest anything Chalene Johnson does over Jillian Michaels hands down!

They're more fun, more effective, hold your attention better, more motivational, and I feel sooo much better after a Chalene Johnson workout over a Jillian Michaels workout.

This this this! Chalene makes me want to workout and pay attention to my form and give it my all - Jillian doesn't motivate the same, but they are both great calorie burners.

I've give up all my Jillian workouts to keep just my ChaLean Extreme.

ETA: You'll see results with either trainer, but do be prepared that Chalene workouts are more expensive (but check eBay or Craigslist) than most of Jillian's, but they're worth it in my opinion.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    So I have never done a Jillian work out so take my opinion for what it is worth. I have seen Jillian's style and I just don't like it, I don't like being yelled at or talked down to which is why I never did any of her videos. I absolutely love Chalene Johnson and am a week away from completing my first round of ChaLean Extreme and going to go right into a ChaLean Extreme/ Turbo Fire hybrid. I just love her attitude and the ability to make you feel like she is right there with you holding your hand.

I didn't like Jilluan on Biggest Loser but she's different on her DVDS. you can look at 30 Day Shred in YouTube Not sure if its pirated though so if it was me, I'd then buy it if I like it.
  • LadyLuckAJ
    LadyLuckAJ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My dvd workout program when i started my lifestyle change was Chalene Turbo Fire. It kicked my butt and motivated me everyday. I had a love/ HATE (with more Hate mixed in) in the beginning when i would throw some Jillian 30DS in but i realized that when i started (and was about 70lbs overweight) i needed someone who was positive and motivational in a fun upbeat way plus i had no issues with dancy routines and that was Chalene; while i felt Jillian was just too much for me and not fun...

Now i am completing CLX which i love love love and i have truly learned to love Jillian (even though i still have the love/ hate relationship...it is now 80 percent love). Yes Jillian's dvds are cheaper (have not tried BR) but for me Chalene's dvd (and i have all her programs) always leaves me feeling stronger and motivated.