Working out 4-5x a day still no weight loss?

Options
Hi guys

I'm new here to this message board!

So I'm 5'7 and I'm at my height at weight of 160. 2 years ago I was at 141 and now that I got a full time job (desk job) It took me over a month to figure out how I'm going to incorporate the gym into my schedule. I leave my house at 7am and I don't get back until 7:30pm. For the past three weeks I've been driving straight to the gym after work. I don't do any extensive workouts. I run AT LEAST 3 miles at a 5.1-5.4 mph speed (so a total of about 40-45 mins cardio) then I do some leg machinese and I switch off every day wether to focus on arms or abs.

The thing is is that I think I'm seeing improvement on my stomach but nowhere else. My thighs are my biggest problem and I've been thinking that if I don't see an improvement by beginning/mid December that I might get a personal trainer.
I originally was going to consider seeig a nutritionist by mid November if I don't see any improvements but I think it takes this long to just get back into the swing of things, with gaining an endurance and re gaining my strength back wether it be arms or abs or legs.

Also I eat less than 1550 calories daily. An example of a typical day:

Fage 2% plain Greek yogurt
Banana
Coffee

Cheerios 1 cup in snack bag

Cut up cucumbers + grape tomatos with single serving size of sabra hummus
1 cup of organic soup

Nuts, roasted almonds, walnuts or peanuts

GYM

2-3 slices of turkey breast

I'm thinking of going to GNC today to see if there's anything that I can eat to replace what I'm eating. And I only drink one day, if that, on one day of the weekend.

Does anyone have any suggestions? All the help I could get would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I always believed that if you are eating with calorie deficit and not seeing results for 2-3 weeks, it will mean that you are eating at your maintenance level since you are not losing or gaining weight. " Make sure you are not eating below BMR"

So you have a choice to reduce calories or increase activity level or do both.

I guess you need to be more accurate with your calories and wait and see for 3 weeks to trace the change.

Good luck
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Eat more.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My guess is you are gaining heavy muscle and losing the fatty parts. I would starting measuring inches too. I bet you are making progress with toning but the scale doesnt say that.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i think it sounds pretty good, but you might need to eat a little more, especially if you are exercising that much.

picking up some protein powder to make shakes can be beneficial. i like vanilla protein powder with some orange juice, a banana, and some frozen strawberries. but don't exactly replace a meal. eat regularly, but consume the shake to add to your food intake.

if you are working out a lot, it can also be water retention. it sounds like you are seeing some loss in measurements, so the 'weight' can just be your body holding on to water to repair muscles.

stop doing as much cardio, and do more weights. the barbells are your friends. squats and dead lifts are great for lower body, and won't make you bulky.

your thighs being your 'biggest' problem... well, girls can and do have very strong leg muscles. build them, and any excess fat around them will disappear.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    thats all you eat?!
  • no1canadianangel
    Options
    Instead of just doing cardio, do HIIT workouts... you will burn for much longer after your done...
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    thats all you eat?!

This. Eat more, and change your cardio to strength.
  • danakandic
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I just started getting into squats too. But I believe you're right with everythig you've said. I need to start doing squats more for sure. My friend said she lost her most weight by doing squats etc.

I will buy some sort of protein powder this weekend. Maybe that's all I need. (Along with the change in workouts )

I truly believe anyone can loose weight w/o a trainer. Just need to be eating the right amount and excersizing the right amount.

Thanks so much I really appreciate it.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

So I'm 5'7 and I'm at my height at weight of 160. 2 years ago I was at 141 and now that I got a full time job (desk job) It took me over a month to figure out how I'm going to incorporate the gym into my schedule. I leave my house at 7am and I don't get back until 7:30pm. For the past three weeks I've been driving straight to the gym after work. I don't do any extensive workouts. I run AT LEAST 3 miles at a 5.1-5.4 mph speed (so a total of about 40-45 mins cardio) then I do some leg machinese and I switch off every day wether to focus on arms or abs.

The thing is is that I think I'm seeing improvement on my stomach but nowhere else. My thighs are my biggest problem and I've been thinking that if I don't see an improvement by beginning/mid December that I might get a personal trainer.
    I originally was going to consider seeig a nutritionist by mid November if I don't see any improvements but I think it takes this long to just get back into the swing of things, with gaining an endurance and re gaining my strength back wether it be arms or abs or legs.

Banana
    Coffee

1 cup of organic soup

GYM

I'm thinking of going to GNC today to see if there's anything that I can eat to replace what I'm eating. And I only drink one day, if that, on one day of the weekend.

Does anyone have any suggestions? All the help I could get would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Honestly? eat more and take measurements.

8-9 years ago I went on Atkins for several months at my doctors suggestion ( I was prediabetic). At the beginning I was 175-180 lbs and wore a snug size 14. Several months ago I found my notes and compared measurements. I was over 200lbs, my thighs were an inch SMALLER than before, my hips were about the same, my waist was 1.5 inches bigger, and my belly needs a little work. I am currently wear...wait for it...a snug size 14.

The difference? I have been doing cardio and strength training for 8-9 months now. Muscle is more dense, "heavier" if you will, than fat. I have lost fat, possibly gained muscle. The scale is not everything...can you wear the same clothes you wore when you weighed 141?
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

I third this....if you're working out 4-5X a day (which unless I'm reading your post wrong I think you mean a week?:huh: )You need more food. Have you figured out what your BMR and TDEE are?

Like others said, do some more weights, if you're not comfortable around them a personal trainer is an awesome idea cause they can show you the right form so you don't hurt yourself.
  • anabet88
    anabet88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Change it up a bit....with your food and workouts. Your body gets used to the same routing. Maybe take a week off from cardio and start in with weights or strength training bands. You also have to eat to loose...don't starve. Good Luck:smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    My guess is you are gaining heavy muscle and losing the fatty parts. I would starting measuring inches too. I bet you are making progress with toning but the scale doesnt say that.

with 45 minute cardio sessions and eating like a bird? that would be something
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This is what I used to calculate your numbers

Weight (in kilos) 72.57 (160 lbs)
    Height (in cm) 170.18 (67 inches)
    Age 22
    Activity Level (pick above) 1.5 (Moderately active)

and here are your numbers

"Mifflin-St Jeor (FOR WOMEN)"
    BMR 1,519
    Maintenance 2,279
    Cut (@ 15%) 1,937
    Build (@ 15%) 2,621
  • abbeyarmygirl
    abbeyarmygirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting a Fitbit. I am new to this diet thing (I have 2 young kids) and was dieting with no success. I got a Fitbit, and it is amazing the difference already! I was eating the calories that MFP recommended, and it was way too much for my sedentary lifestyle. I am trying to work out more, but the fact is that I have a desk job and SIT A LOT! Because of my Fitbit- I reduced my calories slightly (125 daily) and am making a very conscious effort to do some situps and 10 minutes of cardio after the kids fall asleep. I am very close to the same height & weight as you and I just think that MFP over recommends calories a bit for us.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    How much sodium are you getting in a day, and how much do you drink on your one day a week? Does your diet change on that day?
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges will help tone the lower body. Have you taken your measurements? If not I would suggest that you do so. You may be surprised to see that you are losing more inches then you think you are.
  • danakandic
    Options
    Hi guys

Banana
    Coffee

1 cup of organic soup

GYM

Honestly? eat more and take measurements.

8-9 years ago I went on Atkins for several months at my doctors suggestion ( I was prediabetic). At the beginning I was 175-180 lbs and wore a snug size 14. Several months ago I found my notes and compared measurements. I was over 200lbs, my thighs were an inch SMALLER than before, my hips were about the same, my waist was 1.5 inches bigger, and my belly needs a little work. I am currently wear...wait for it...a snug size 14.

The difference? I have been doing cardio and strength training for 8-9 months now. Muscle is more dense, "heavier" if you will, than fat. I have lost fat, possibly gained muscle. The scale is not everything...can you wear the same clothes you wore when you weighed 141?

When I was at 141 I only bought one new pair of jeans. Those still fit. I think they were a size 8. Now I wear 10/12s.
    The 8 sill fits but a little bit tighter than before. To be honest I haven't worn them in months. I should see what they're like now. Thanks for your help.
  • danakandic
    Options
    Eat more.

I third this....if you're working out 4-5X a day (which unless I'm reading your post wrong I think you mean a week?:huh: )You need more food. Have you figured out what your BMR and TDEE are?

Like others said, do some more weights, if you're not comfortable around them a personal trainer is an awesome idea cause they can show you the right form so you don't hurt yourself.

How do I figure out my BMR and TDEE?
  • danakandic
    Options
    Squats and lunges will help tone the lower body. Have you taken your measurements? If not I would suggest that you do so. You may be surprised to see that you are losing more inches then you think you are.

Yeah I'm going to start having to take my measurements .. Ill get back To everyone with those. I wish I started out taking measurements from the beginning. Better late than ever. Thanks.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

How do I figure out my BMR and TDEE?

Here you go

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12