Atkins

Options

Replies

• mummymorgon
    Options
    First, carbs don't make you fat, calories do. The only thing extra calories will do is add additional glycogen/water weight. This is why you lose up to 10 lbs the first week or two. It's just less water weight. But if you are in a calorie deficit, carbs will not make you gain fat. The exception is people who have intolerance to gluten or a insulin sensitivity. And believe it or not, not all of us are addicted to carbs. I crave steak a lot more often than I would a pastry or pizza but I now if I eat greasy unhealthy foods my stomach pays for it.

Carbs make you hungry. And hungry makes you overeat. And overeating makes you fat. Proteins and fats fill you up. And filled up people don't eat any more. And that makes you lose weight. I don't agree with your second sentence. Eating extra calories adds more than water weight!

The idea that "greasy" foods are unhealthy sounds good, but is it true? Do greasy foods make you fat? Man has been eating them for millenia, and have been much thinner than the current generation. What has been the big change in our diets that has caused so many people to be get fat? There is considerable evidence that it is the sugary, starchy, carb-rich foods. It is funny that people think that sugar is unhealthy, but most cereals (even healthy ones) are more sugary than table sugar, and therefore convert to sugar FASTER in the bloodsream than table sugar. But the same people that eat these foods put artificial sweeteners in their tea to avoid eating the unhealthy sugar. It is the same thing and people don't even know! That is sad to me.
    Also, when you were referring to how we ate 10,000 years ago, that would be more of a paleo type diet as opposed to atkins. We didn't have bacon, sausages, hot dogs or other processed meats and they didn't restrict carbs either.

Are you saying a paleo diet is a healthy diet? A paleo diet is characterized as a type of low carb diet. The kind of cards that you eat are not the sugars, starches, and grains of today's modern diet. And plenty of meat is typically consumed.

We've seen a steady stream of people saying they tried Atkins a while back, lost a ton of weight, and gained it all back. It has been shown many times that low carb diets yield better weight loss than other diets. It is also well documented that most dieters regain their lost weight - Atkins or otherwise. So there is near zero doubt that low carb eating is the easiest way to lose weight in the short term. Would you agree that if people could figure out how to maintain the loss, it would be truly awesome for obese people?

So what should you do? Not do the low carb diet and take a longer, harder road to weight loss with a lower chance of reaching your goal, or do low carb and figure out how the heck you're going to maintain your weight once you lose it?

Given the risk of regaining it, shouldn't a dieter spend a lot of time thinking about how to maintain your weight loss? Ask yourself, if I was at my goal weight would I eat that piece of chocolate cake. They idea you can just go back to the old you is unrealistic. Someone should write a book on how to maintain their weight loss after low carb! They'd make a mint.

I have learned the secret. It isn't that hard. Give up the unhealthy sugary foods of modern man for good. And exercise consistently. With those changes in my lifestyle I can have my 32 inch waist instead of the 40+ inch waist I started with. I can run a triathlon or 10k instead of tiring walking up the stairs. I can eat most all of the foods I love, including steak, hamburgers (low carb bun of course), fish, carrots and humus, nuts, salads, veggies, and even an occasional low carb confection WITH NO GUILT and without gaining weight.

I doubt I will convince the anti-low carb people in the forum to change their minds, and I'm not really trying to. I'm trying to reach those guys with a big belly similar to mine 10 months ago, wondering how the heck to chip away at the bulk that has accumulated around their middles and preventing them from enjoying life as they should. It can be done my friend. Watch the "Fat Head" movies. Read read read. You'll find that low carb is a healthy option for weight loss that many many men and women have used successfully to drop the weight in a hurry, and with an active low carb lifestyle, keep it off for good!

Best of luck!

If you can provide some studies that low carb has greater long term success over other calorie restriction programs, that would be great. I am not watching the mainstream media either. I look at scientific journals and studies from places like the NIH. As noted below and my favorite quote of it is below too.

"Evidence abounds that low-carbohydrate diets present no significant advantage over more traditional energy-restricted, nutritionally balanced diets both in terms of weight loss and weight maintenance."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14672862

Also, paleo isn't low carb, it's moderate carb. I do 80/20 paleo and even on full paleo days I eat up to 200g of carbs from fruits and veggies.

Also, I am not trying to start a conflict, I think it's great that atkins has work for you and has developed a good lifestyle for you, but Atkins is no more successful than any other calorie restriction program. And that huge initial weight loss is from storing less glycogen/water. That is why people lose 10 lbs the first week.

I agree with you here, it is no better. Just a matter of personal choice. I work with a girl that is calorie counting and she can eat whatever she wants, but for me I am eating what I want :)

I am measuring my fat loss, and I feel miles better. Even exercising is not a chore for me anymore due to being less heavy.
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The only diets that are sustainable are the ones that you enjoy. If you actually like eating lots of meat and little bits of everything else, you can stick to it.

Honestly, it differs from person to person. I have proven time and again that I am incapable of sticking to a low-carb diet. I've tried South Beach at least 4 times with disastrous results every time. I wish I COULD do it though.
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Whenever I hear the, "Once you quit, you'll gain it all back!" argument, I giggle. It makes me think, "I lost all this weight after giving up twinkies, but when I started eating them again, I gained it all back!" If something works, and you quit doing what works and therefore stop getting results or get the opposite, why is that a shock? I've never tried Atkins, but the logic out there just kills me.

I have been thinking the same thing throughout this whole thread. I did Atkins in college, lost a fair amount of weight and then when I went back to my "normal" eating habits, I gained it all back and then some. Guess what, same thing happened to me when I did weight watchers. Shouldn't we all have the understanding from being on this site that we'll never go back to our "normal" eating habits again? I mean, weren't those the eating habits that led us to this website in the first place?

I don't understand the Atkins hate, personally. If a person is doing it, can do it, and enjoys doing it, let them be. Just because it didn't work for some people doesn't mean it won't work for all people. Personally, I've cut out wheat and gluten from my diet because of a suspected sensitivity to it. It's been wonderful for me! Before, when I was following the lowered calorie plan (even at 1900+ calories a day before exercise calories), I would have an energy crash around 2pm every day. And then from 3-bedtime, I was starving. I felt like I could never be satisfied. I have low thyroid, so I just assumed my medicine needed adjusted. Within the first week of the gluten free eating (and I've not been buying many replacements for the wheat items, so I have effectively been low carb for the past 3 weeks), I had energy all day long. I wasn't famished in the afternoons. So far it's working for me. And now, when I eat wheat, I feel ill, so yes, this will be a lifelong way of eating. For some of us, this is our new normal. The way I "normally" ate before made me fat, so it only makes sense that I now eat in a way that makes me healthy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The only diets that are sustainable are the ones that you enjoy. If you actually like eating lots of meat and little bits of everything else, you can stick to it.

Honestly, it differs from person to person. I have proven time and again that I am incapable of sticking to a low-carb diet. I've tried South Beach at least 4 times with disastrous results every time. I wish I COULD do it though.

Why wish on something that isn't sustainable. This was my whole point about diets. You don't need to do a diet, just alter the foods you eat. Honestly, most diets are not worth it. You can just switch to whole foods (lean meats and fish), fruits and veggies, some minor whole grains if you like and eat 20% below your TDEE and then start doing weight training and HIIT and you will set yourself up for success. It's about training yourself to eat right and become active. If you do that, you will have greater results than anyone on a diet. It's 10x better than any of these diets that put you on 1200-1500 calories. It's just not enough to fuel your body if you are active.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I tried the Atkins diet and stopped after I almost fainted. Guess for my body I need my carbs. Actually since I've been on MFP I don't really worry about the carbs anymore. I do try to retain healthier carbs. But hey you got to do whatever works for you. You just got to learn to differentiate between good and bad carbs in my opinion. I've just been balancing out my numbers on MFP and that seems to work great for me. I'm trying to lose weight in the slow and healthy way, but some people can afford to lose it faster. Good luck on your journey.
  • mummymorgon
    Options
    I tried the Atkins diet and stopped after I almost fainted. Guess for my body I need my carbs. Actually since I've been on MFP I don't really worry about the carbs anymore. I do try to retain healthier carbs. But hey you got to do whatever works for you. You just got to learn to differentiate between good and bad carbs in my opinion. I've just been balancing out my numbers on MFP and that seems to work great for me. I'm trying to lose weight in the slow and healthy way, but some people can afford to lose it faster. Good luck on your journey.

Oh yes defiantly a difference between good and bad carbs! Slower is better i think, at the minute I lose on average 2 pounds a week and that is brilliant for me :) hope all goes well for you
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Tried it in '05. It's a non-sustainable diet, in my opinion.

This
  • hofstyle1
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am new to this. I have been reading your post and have been on Atkins Induction since Monday. I believe I have " Atkins Flu". I have had a headache with severe intestinal issues. I have many food intolerances, eggs are on the list. Hard to tell if it is the actual food or the change in eating. My ketone strips show a slight change and I know my bloat is better. Need advise, will this get better with in a few days or should I go back to carbs. True I am not hungry, but miss fresh light fruits. Have tried many diets over the years and I have been successful however Age, Medications, Low Thyroid, and a few Pregs to name a few make it harder to keep the weight off.
  • mummymorgon
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am new to this. I have been reading your post and have been on Atkins Induction since Monday. I believe I have " Atkins Flu". I have had a headache with severe intestinal issues. I have many food intolerances, eggs are on the list. Hard to tell if it is the actual food or the change in eating. My ketone strips show a slight change and I know my bloat is better. Need advise, will this get better with in a few days or should I go back to carbs. True I am not hungry, but miss fresh light fruits. Have tried many diets over the years and I have been successful however Age, Medications, Low Thyroid, and a few Pregs to name a few make it harder to keep the weight off.

Only you know your body, of you're not feeling right then don't take the risk. I never got Atkins flu, a had a bit of a headache for the first few days but when I drank plenty of water I felt better. Now I don't have any symptoms and go to the toilet very regular. Some people have problems with Atkins and others don't. Only you can decide which category you are in
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

Keeping hydrated and drinking a salty broth is supposed to help with the "flu." However, I never got it, just really REALLY intense cravings. If it is the "flu," expect the same symptoms if you cheat and get back on the wagon (or so I hear).

It'll get better. But like the poster above me said, only you can know if it's food intolerance or not. I hope it passes soon!
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    If you can provide some studies that low carb has greater long term success over other calorie restriction programs, that would be great. I am not watching the mainstream media either. I look at scientific journals and studies from places like the NIH. As noted below and my favorite quote of it is below too.

"Evidence abounds that low-carbohydrate diets present no significant advantage over more traditional energy-restricted, nutritionally balanced diets both in terms of weight loss and weight maintenance."

Also, paleo isn't low carb, it's moderate carb. I do 80/20 paleo and even on full paleo days I eat up to 200g of carbs from fruits and veggies.

Also, I am not trying to start a conflict, I think it's great that atkins has work for you and has developed a good lifestyle for you, but Atkins is no more successful than any other calorie restriction program. And that huge initial weight loss is from storing less glycogen/water. That is why people lose 10 lbs the first week.

I also don't want a conflict. But feel the a healthy debate helps everyone see this issue from different perspectives. I appreciate your direct yet respectful demeanor, and will try to "debate" in a respectful manner as well.

The abstract you publish is from 2003. And it references no studies. It uses some scarey rhetoric and says maybe it isn't healthy. A lot has happened in diet news since 2003, including debunking the famous food pyramid that our scientific nutrition experts created based on bad science that had us eating sugary carbs galore and fearing proteins and fats. Is there some more recent evidence you could point to?

Here is a link to an article describing an actual recent study. It found that low carb diets do make maintaining weight loss a lot easier - allowing a successful dieter to eat 300 more calories per day and maintain their weight loss than someone following a more traditional diet. This article is from the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/opinion/sunday/what-really-makes-us-fat.html?_r=0
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Tried it in '05. It's a non-sustainable diet, in my opinion.

^^THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I too did this in '05 and lost 70lbs. Great right?? NOOOOO! I felt like garbage while on it (dizzy spells, always hungry), gained all the weight back + more through this year and I swear my butt took the brunt of the weight gain. It is not sustainable as staying withing your macros for the day and exercising. Most cannot go the rest of their lives living on meat and without pasta & bread. There's also a lot of research on the damaging effects of this diet on your heart. Don't go for the quick fix, do it for the long term success. Oh and its easier to count calories/fat for me as I can eat pretty much what I want, just have it fit it in to my totals. I remember having to cook a lot of extra meals just for myself on Atkins and watch what snacks that I ate. I also remember eating bacon & eggs for breakfast most mornings. How can that be healthy?
  • joyceellison
    joyceellison Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think Mr Atkins died of a heart attack didnt he wouldnt try that diet
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    What is Atkins? Didn't Bob die of a heart attack?
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hi is anyone on the atkins diet??

I'm low-carbing, but not specifically Atkins. I have read a couple of his books, and they make a lot of sense.

And no, Dr. Atkins didn't die of a heart attack. He slipped and fell on ice and busted his head. He was otherwise in good health.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

I also don't want a conflict. But feel the a healthy debate helps everyone see this issue from different perspectives. I appreciate your direct yet respectful demeanor, and will try to "debate" in a respectful manner as well.

The abstract you publish is from 2003. And it references no studies. It uses some scarey rhetoric and says maybe it isn't healthy. A lot has happened in diet news since 2003, including debunking the famous food pyramid that our scientific nutrition experts created based on bad science that had us eating sugary carbs galore and fearing proteins and fats. Is there some more recent evidence you could point to?

Here is a link to an article describing an actual recent study. It found that low carb diets do make maintaining weight loss a lot easier - allowing a successful dieter to eat 300 more calories per day and maintain their weight loss than someone following a more traditional diet. This article is from the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/opinion/sunday/what-really-makes-us-fat.html?_r=0

I won't get started on Gary Taubes. He is a journalist (who is selling a book), not a scientist but if you have any other sources/studies I would love to see them.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

I'm low-carbing, but not specifically Atkins. I have read a couple of his books, and they make a lot of sense.

And no, Dr. Atkins didn't die of a heart attack. He slipped and fell on ice and busted his head. He was otherwise in good health.
    He did die from falling but he had a heart attack in 2002
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    lol, you heard it here first, Atkins makes you pregnant.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options

He did die from falling but he had a heart attack in 2002

No, he had a cardiac arrest in 2002 due to a condition called cardiomyopathy brought on by an infection in 2000. This isn't the same as a heart attack (myocardial infarction). Here's a link to the CNN article from April of that year:

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/diet.fitness/04/25/atkins.diet/index.html
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    I won't get started on Gary Taubes. He is a journalist (who is selling a book), not a scientist but if you have any other sources/studies I would love to see them.

The article was about an experiment conducted by:

Cara B. Ebbeling, PhD; Janis F. Swain, MS, RD; Henry A. Feldman, PhD; William W. Wong, PhD; David L. Hachey, PhD; Erica Garcia-Lago, BA; David S. Ludwig, MD, PhD

and published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, June 27, 2012, Vol 307, No. 24

Here is a link:

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1199154

The abstract is a bit hard to understand for the layman (of which I am one), but the key results I gleaned are exactly as said in his article I posted:

"Compared with the pre–weight-loss baseline, the decrease in REE <resting energy expenditure> was greatest with the low-fat diet (...), intermediate with the low–glycemic index diet (...), and least with the very low-carbohydrate diet (..). The decrease in TEE <total energy expenditure> showed a similar pattern ..."

So, in English, when you diet and then eat a low fat diet, your body burns fewer calories than if you were eating a low-glycemic diet EATING THE IDENTICAL NUMBER OF CALORIES.

And when you diet and then eat a low glycemic diet, your body burns fewer calories than if you were eating a very low carb diet (like Atkins) EATING THE IDENTICAL NUMBER OF CALORIES.

This was not an observational study where researchers followed around people or interviewed them about what they ate, this was a clinical study where every thing the participants ate was monitored.

Surely this meets your standard of scholarly research.