Couch 2 5 K help!

Options
I'm new to C25K...and I've got a question. Last week was my week 1. The plan says to not overdue. So I only worked out 4 times last week for 25 min total each time. Do you think it is ok to add in precor/walking etc on the off days? I'm super new to running and don't want to hurt myself. I need to repeat training week 1. My hips are super sore and I don't feel I'm ready to move on yet. Any advice for me? I'm still about 20+ lbs overweight at least, I don't want to do any damage to my hips and knees that can't be reversed. Thanks!

Replies

• girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    I don't know what your plan is, but if you are super new to running, your hips could be sore for a number of reasons. Runners have notoriously tight hips (and hamstrings :tongue: ) You also could have some shoes that aren't the best for your feet. That can really make a huge difference. Often problems with your feet present in hips, back, knees, etc. runnersworld.com has some great information for beginners. Also, a trip to a specialty running store can be invaluable! But in answer to your original question, if you feel good and want to work out on your rest days, go ahead, but go light. Also, you should have at least 2 days of full rest. Message me if there is anything else I can help you with!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    When I started C25K, I did it MWF, and then on Tue Thur & Sun I did my Wii Biggest Loser. Every other Tuesday I take my bro-in-law to therapy and go walk laps around the mall while he does his thing. I think as long as you're not pushing yourself as hard as you do when you run, you should be ok. The days I don't run are the days I just try to relax & enjoy, instead of working my butt of and nearly killing myself, LOL.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I just finished the couch to 5K program. Please take it easy. Run one day and then take a break from running. You can cross train or walk on the days off but do not run! Your muscles need to relax. You can also do strength training on the days off. I usually either go swimming or take a nice walk.

Take it slow!
  • MFR1974
    MFR1974 Posts: 92
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate all of your advice!
  • Kalamitykate
    Kalamitykate Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking the question MFR1974 and for the good answers. I started C25K yesterday and wasn't sure what to do today. How nice to come on here and find the answer. Good luck with C25K.