Plateau-surely it can't last this long?

Options
I need some help and encouragement, otherwise I might eat my bodyweight in chocolate, I am so out of it.
When I started eating healthier I lost my first six-seven pounds in the first ten days, then cut out sugar and lost a total of 11.
That was at at the end of August/beginning of September.
It's been two solid month and I haven't lost a single gram, fluctuating between 69 (my lowest) and 70. (152/154 lbs)

I'm 19, 160cm (5'3'' I think?) and I started by eating 1200 calories. Over the last 2 weeks-ish, I upped to 1300 hoping to move things along...but zilch.
I don't eat any fast food, my grains are whole and I eat lots of fruit (I'm working on my veggies!) and protein.
Of course, I've gone over my intake or indulged in some empty calories a few times-- A diligent girl, I am not.

I haven't been exercising (I know it's key to health, but please don't attack or judge. A gym is not in my budget now), but I also know you mostly lose weight in the kitchen!
What am I doing wrong? I know people hit plateaus after a steady loss, but I haven't even lost 10 kilos!
It's getting harder and harder to stay on track and not say to heck with it.

Advice?

Replies

• packergirl2007
    Options
    When you get some feedback, let me know! I've been stuck in a plateau since july!!

I know you don't do any working out, but you can do some stuff at home... easy stuff you did in the gym at school. Jumping Jacks, Curl Ups, Push ups, Squats. Do that and it should help.

Also switch up what you are eating - just like you have to switch up exercise, switiching up food helps.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Been at a plateau since Feb 19th 2012.....
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I had the EXACT same thing happen to me when I started. Lost a few pounds, stopped soda and dropped about 8 more for a total of 14, then I got stuck..... And I started to question everything, and over-think everything.
    The best advice I can give you is this....Don't start over-thinking it, and don't be afraid to try something different, but most important, don't be afraid to give it some time. I was stuck at the same weight for just over a month and then lost two pounds in one week and am still losing. This was after my initial weight loss as well, so I understand your worry. Remember, this is not an overnight process, it is a lifestyle change that will have it's ups and downs.
    That being said, I understand exactly how you feel. You were cruising along, doing great, so excited everything was working, then BAMMM!!! it all stopped and the doubt started creeping in. Persevere.
    I decided after hitting that first plateau, that from now on, I would re-evaluate only after getting stuck for 4 to 6 weeks.
    Just remember, you do have to reevaluate your calorie intake every 5 pounds or so.
    I'm not going to tell you that you aren't eating enough, or you are eating too much or any of that crap. To each his/her own. You know your body better than I do. Listen to it.
    *edit* What the poster after me said about trying different things, is what works for me too. I would recommend you add a little strength training as the more muscle you build, the more calories your body will burn to fuel those muscles. But that's just my recommendation. You will learn your body better and better as you continue this journey and nobody on this or any other forum will ever know your body better than you!
  • ktaqt3399
    ktaqt3399 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the budget thing. However if your willing there is plenty you could do out side of a gym.....walking .....target has some awesome workout dvds for cheap. You can find zumba routines on you tube. Also you can find jilllian michaels 30 day shred online in its entirety thats a hard but awesome workout and only 20 minutes.....you have plenty of options. Add me if u like
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I need some help and encouragement, otherwise I might eat my bodyweight in chocolate, I am so out of it.
    When I started eating healthier I lost my first six-seven pounds in the first ten days, then cut out sugar and lost a total of 11.
    That was at at the end of August/beginning of September.
    It's been two solid month and I haven't lost a single gram, fluctuating between 69 (my lowest) and 70. (152/154 lbs)

I'm 19, 160cm (5'3'' I think?) and I started by eating 1200 calories. Over the last 2 weeks-ish, I upped to 1300 hoping to move things along...but zilch.
    I don't eat any fast food, my grains are whole and I eat lots of fruit (I'm working on my veggies!) and protein.
    Of course, I've gone over my intake or indulged in some empty calories a few times-- A diligent girl, I am not.

I haven't been exercising (I know it's key to health, but please don't attack or judge. A gym is not in my budget now), but I also know you mostly lose weight in the kitchen!
    What am I doing wrong? I know people hit plateaus after a steady loss, but I haven't even lost 10 kilos!
    It's getting harder and harder to stay on track and not say to heck with it.

Advice?

Bump it to 1500-1600 calories. Obviously low calories isn't working. Also, check out youtube or www.bockrock.tv for some body exercise you can do at home. You can also go to target/walmart/amazon and pick up some resistances bands (like $10) and start doing resistance training at home. Also, MFP is set up for the US standard for macronutrition, but I would adjust your ratios to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    First things first. What level of accuracy does your food scale have?
    Second, be completely honest with yourself. Do you do a lot of "tasting" that you don't log? A sip of wine here, a nibble of cheese there adds up. You are short in stature, so you have less room (speaking of calories) to screw up in.
    Third, do you take any medication that may interfere with weight loss (hormones such as steroids or birth control are both likely culprits). If so, talk with your doctor about why they are necessary and ask for less problematic alternatives.
    Fourth, and last, exercise. Walking is completely free. :bigsmile:
  • Brandification
    Brandification Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Are you keeping account of your sodium? I know that when I started tracking my sodium intake, it kick started my weight loss after a 2 month plateau.

Best of luck!
  • cedarghost
    Options
    You need to find out what your TDEE is and the only way to do that is to take an average of calories in over a period of time and add that to the amount of weight lost over the same period of time * 3500. Then divide by the period of time.

For example let's say I lost 2 pounds in 60 days and my total calories eaten was 120,000.
    2 pounds * 3500 = 7000
    120,000 (total calories eaten) + 7000= 127,000
    So if I had eaten 127,000 calories, I would have neither gained nor lost weight. 127,000 divided by 60 = 2116.66 calories per day to maintain my weight. That is my Total Daily Energy Expenditure. I can adjust how much weight I gain or lose by eating above or below this. 3500 calories = 1 pound lost or gained. So if I wanted to lose a pound a week, I would need to eat 3500/7 or 500 calories a day less than my maintenance.
    If I am inconsistent with my diet or exercise this wouldn't work and I would also need to reevaluate my TDEE periodically, to make sure it hasn't changed.
    Simplified, figure out how much you have eaten and how much you have lost and adjust how much you have eaten or add exercise to lose more.
    Because you are just starting, it will take a while to get to where you can figure your actual TDEE unless you have been very consistent with your diet and adding your calories. I know I wasn't when I started. But that's where you have to realize, this is going to take time for you to figure out your body. Once you know your body, it will get a lot easier. I know knowone wants to hear "give it some time" (myself included), but that's the best advice I can give you.
    I could come on here and tell you "eat this many calories or that many calories or do this much exercise", but I don't know your body, so I am not going to do that.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I am in a 2 month long plateau right now... sigh. I think mine is caused by stress from lack of sleep. Sadly, it takes 2 full weeks to restore sleep-debt. Got 10 days of proper sleep in a row right now... so hopefully I'll be good by next week... the waiting game sucks though.

If the suggestions above do not work for you, I suggest looking at your stress levels, both psychological (such as being annoyed with traffic) and physical (such as lack of daily sleep or bad quality sleep). These can stop weight loss in its tracks. TOo low of a calorie intake will also cause stress levels to rise.
  • theesfield
    theesfield Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lost all my current weight in 3 months and have plateaued for the last 7. What I once looked at as failure, I am now proud that I have maintained the weight loss and a healthy and active lifestyle. Keep focused.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Definitely time to add a bit of exercise. Pushups and walking are free! I don't go to a gym either but I use the MFP exercise log to push myself toward 3000 minutes a week. I use 5 & 8 pound weights, walk, do exercise dvds and yoga Have you checked to see if exercise dvds are available at your local library? Youtube has all sorts of routines you can try for free, as well. You are right about weight loss being in the kitchen. However, the equation is something like 80% diet and 20% exercise. Exercise will help you increase your metabolism to burn more calories. It will also keep you from losing muscle along with the fat.

If you can limit yourself to a reasonable portion have the chocolate! Sometimes it is helpful to vary your calorie intake. Try increasing your calories for a couple of weeks to see what happens. Stay under 1700 calories. Be patient. Drink lots of water. The scale has to move if you stick to your goals!
  • cedarghost
    Options
    I am in a 2 month long plateau right now... sigh. I think mine is caused by stress from lack of sleep. Sadly, it takes 2 full weeks to restore sleep-debt. Got 10 days of proper sleep in a row right now... so hopefully I'll be good by next week... the waiting game sucks though.

If the suggestions above do not work for you, I suggest looking at your stress levels, both psychological (such as being annoyed with traffic) and physical (such as lack of daily sleep or bad quality sleep). These can stop weight loss in its tracks. TOo low of a calorie intake will also cause stress levels to rise.
    This is a good point. There are sooooo many other variables that affect weight loss and it sucks. Lack of sleep, stress, stress from lack of sleep, sodium (as another poster above said). There are some things that are debated frequently and some things that are given and no one argues them, like "get enough sleep".
    Someone posted a decent list above.
  • bloomingolive
    Options
    Thank you very much, everyone!
    The best advice I can give you is this....Don't start over-thinking it, and don't be afraid to try something different, but most important, don't be afraid to give it some time. I was stuck at the same weight for just over a month and then lost two pounds in one week and am still losing. This was after my initial weight loss as well, so I understand your worry. Remember, this is not an overnight process, it is a lifestyle change that will have it's ups and downs.
    That being said, I understand exactly how you feel. You were cruising along, doing great, so excited everything was working, then BAMMM!!! it all stopped and the doubt started creeping in. Persevere.
    Exactly!
    I know it's a change of lifestyle, I am trying to be patient, but mostly to think long-term and steady. Thanks for the encouragement :smooched:
    I totally understand the budget thing. However if your willing there is plenty you could do out side of a gym.....walking .....target has some awesome workout dvds for cheap. You can find zumba routines on you tube. Also you can find jilllian michaels 30 day shred online in its entirety thats a hard but awesome workout and only 20 minutes.....you have plenty of options. Add me if u like
    I heard great stuff about JM's shred! I definitely would love to try!
    Bump it to 1500-1600 calories. Obviously low calories isn't working. Also, check out youtube or www.bockrock.tv for some body exercise you can do at home. You can also go to target/walmart/amazon and pick up some resistances bands (like $10) and start doing resistance training at home. Also, MFP is set up for the US standard for macronutrition, but I would adjust your ratios to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats.
    Thanks for the advice on macros! 1200 cals worked in the beginning, and I'll say I didn't set such a goal because it was the lowest or anything like that.
    I read about Basal Metabolic Rate and tdee, and calculated 1200/1300 as the ideal intake...won't upping my calories provide more to burn?
    I am sorry if it's a dumb question. I'm just afraid of eating so much.
    First things first. What level of accuracy does your food scale have?
    Second, be completely honest with yourself. Do you do a lot of "tasting" that you don't log? A sip of wine here, a nibble of cheese there adds up. You are short in stature, so you have less room (speaking of calories) to screw up in.
    Third, do you take any medication that may interfere with weight loss (hormones such as steroids or birth control are both likely culprits). If so, talk with your doctor about why they are necessary and ask for less problematic alternatives.
    Fourth, and last, exercise. Walking is completely free. :bigsmile:
    Ha! Know what you mean about tasting. It happens, I admit, but I usually log the odd piece of bread or the chocolate.
    And my scale is electronic and measure to the gram.
    I guess I'd better get up and move.
  • Losemymanboobs
    Options
    Try eating 1g of protein per lb of body weight whilst keeping your calorie deficit at about 300-500. This way you should be getting calories from protein rather than carbs/fats (although you still need some for a healthy diet). I've provided a great article on it below, and remember protein isnt just for those of us that lift.

http://thesmarterscienceofslim.com/calorie-quality-factor-4-efficiency/
  • Cbarrese86
    Options
    Hey, I saw great comments in this thread, and I just though I would add a little something. Try upping your fiber intake (Fiber One Honey Oat cereal is yummy and high in fiber), and reducing your fruit intake. There are a lot of natural sugars in fruit that could be the culprit. Good luck hun! Plateau's suck, but it won't last.
  • uxbridgeheli
    Options
    Shake up your menu
    What works best for me is high protein and low carbs.
    That includes fruit - if you are eating a lot of fruit that can impact (only a bit though) as it is full of sugar (i.e. carbs)
    Cut out diet soda's if you drink them.
    Try to do a little exercise if you can.
    A brisk walk is a great way to burn some calories.
    Keep at it - you'll get there!
    Well done on your losses so far as well!
    H x