Safe exercise after a c-section? 2 weeks post partum..,

Options
Is there any kind of exercise I can do safely after a c-section? I am currently 2 weeks post partum and although I have lost all the baby weight (25lbs) plus a little more, I'm feeling jiggly all over. Just wondering of there is anything I can do now safely. I don't have my post partum appointment for another 4 weeks, but I'm feeling pretty good these days.

Any suggestions???

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I would wait another 4 weeks before I really started working out or doing any strenuous activity. Get the all-clear from your doctor. You're still healing and your body is still recovering (even if you're feeling better).
  • laylasmommy67
    laylasmommy67 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    just keep it to walking for a few more weeks....trust me....I started working out at 3 weeks and pulled something and thought I was dying (not really, it just really hurt, lol).... just walk, maybe with some dumbells or something....and I am still jiggly too, but only in my belly and its driving me crazy! hoping it will go away with time...and I can tell a difference just in these few weeks with the jiggly-ness...I am 6 weeks pp
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Wait and get the clear from your doctor. C-section is MAJOR surgery, so just keep it low impact, wait, follow your post-surgical instructions to the T! I am a nurse, so I get very anal about these things when I have patients post surgery call me and ask when they can work out again, and I always say "wait for the medical clear". You need to let your body heal, so if you can't wait, call your doctor/midwife/NP and ask him/her what they think you should do as they know best about your situation and medical needs.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I had 2 natural births, didn't even need stitches, and I was advised to wait for 6 weeks post partum to start exercising again. Even if you feel great, you can injure yourself as you still have relaxin in your body from pregnancy. (if you don't know, this is what it does - copied and pasted: What happens: Yep, you guessed it. During pregnancy, the busy placenta produces a hormone called relaxin that helps your whole body physically become a bit looser.

Why it happens: You need to seriously increase your flexibility down in your fetus's living quarters because, during pregnancy, your uterus grows from about the size of a tennis ball to the size of a beach ball. Relaxin relaxes the intrauterine ligaments, allowing the uterus and pelvis to expand. Relaxin also relaxes other parts of your body, like your arteries, which have to accommodate a much higher blood volume without sending your blood pressure through the roof. Your musculoskeletal system also loosens up, giving you more flexible joints and more curvature in the back to prepare for carrying and delivering a baby. Whew.)

So you could hurt your muscles/joints etc. Also, after c-sec surgery I think you need to be careful!

Just go for walks. When I had my 1st I went for walks every day with him in his pram.
  • amy_36
    amy_36 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 C/S. If you push yourself before your cleared you could cause problems like hernias, etc. Just stick to walking. I started walking my son to and from school at 2 weeks. It is 1 mile round trip. It was the perfect amount to start with. Slowly, baby girl and I started going for walks during the day while brothers were at school.

I know its hard but the 6 weeks goes by quicker than you think!
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if you can't wait for your Dr. appt, give them a call and talk to a nurse. Internet advice on something this serious is dangerous to accept, no matter how well intentioned the posters are.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Wait at least until your 6 weeks is up. I had a C-Section with my first child, then just had a hysterectomy in Nov 2011 -- they used the same scar to perform that surgery. I waited 8 weeks prior to doing anything other than walking. Even though you feel good you want to let your body fully heal. I had a friend who did not wait 6 weeks and she had complications due to it. Give it time, seriously!
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Are you serious? Or maybe you meant to type that you are 2 months postpartum, not 2 weeks???

A C-section basically slices some major muscles and (over here anyway) you cannot drive for 6 weeks after one. The recommendations are to wait approximately 12 weeks before doing any serious exercise.

You've just had major surgery! I'm surprised you can tie your own shoe laces at this stage! To be contemplating an exercise regime two weeks after a Caesarean is insanity and DANGEROUS. You really need to speak with your HCP about this.
  • tako_tam
    Options
    I started working out 2 months after having baby and injured my spine very badly. took me 2 month to recover after. I would wait until baby is 3 months and start everything after very slowly...
  • A_new_beginning_tmn
    Options
    NONE. You should not even be excessively walking. I hemorrhaged after my first daughter. And I was not even doing anything excessive. Just going to grocery store when need be. They said it was too much. You have plenty of time to get back in shape. But be safe and wait.