Two months in and not losing weight

Options
So this is my second weight loss journey; I fell off the map last winter because Midwest winters are brutal and I just couldn't bring myself to go to the gym on those dark, cold mornings. This year however, I've got a gym buddy and we've been great about encouraging each other and making it to the gym 5-6 days a week. I had a few personal training sessions and have been mostly staying under my calorie goal everyday.

However, this time around, I'm just not losing any weight. The first time I went from 206 to 182 in about eight months and I loved it, but this time I'm stuck between 205-206. Any dip in weight I get, it goes right back up the next week.

Could I be doing something wrong? I work out at least five days a week, with three days of cardio and two days of strength. I've changed my diet to mostly organic foods and I'm under or at my calorie goals most days. I drink plenty of water, I don't really drink soda, and my only vices are Earl Grey tea and Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies (but I eat the serving size, which is 160 calories for four cookies).

I can't really change the amount of time that I work out, since I have to do it in the morning before work (and these 5:30am wake-up times are already killing me). I don't own a car so I walk everywhere, plenty of additional exercise in my big city. I just don't know what I'm doing differently. The first time, the weight just fell off; this time, it's being rather stubborn.

~Frustrated in Chicago

Replies

• SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    People are going to request that you make your food log public.

Are you able to pinpoint anything that you did before, that you no longer do? What are your macros?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    eat less
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're very active. Keep it up. Make sure you're as close as possible when counting calories. It is super easy to underestimate how many calories you've eaten and overestimate how many you've burned. Do some weight/resistance training in addition to whatever cardio you do. Put a lot of your energy into the weight/resistance training and make cardio secondary for a while.

And just stick with it. You may not drop any for a while and then suddenly drop quite a few lb's. Patience.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Because you bounced back after the first weight loss, it is going be more difficult this time around. Your body knows the routine, so it is prepared, and ready to defend the fat.

So, instead of doing the same, do something different. Macros is one thing to play with to see if you can minimize the caloric intake while still staying full, and seeing if a particular food group (grains, dairy, sugar) is responsible for holding you back. I would start with eliminating grains & PUFA oils, and seeing if it helps.
  • msfaithful
    msfaithful Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    So this is my second weight loss journey; I fell off the map last winter because Midwest winters are brutal and I just couldn't bring myself to go to the gym on those dark, cold mornings. This year however, I've got a gym buddy and we've been great about encouraging each other and making it to the gym 5-6 days a week. I had a few personal training sessions and have been mostly staying under my calorie goal everyday.

However, this time around, I'm just not losing any weight. The first time I went from 206 to 182 in about eight months and I loved it, but this time I'm stuck between 205-206. Any dip in weight I get, it goes right back up the next week.

Could I be doing something wrong? I work out at least five days a week, with three days of cardio and two days of strength. I've changed my diet to mostly organic foods and I'm under or at my calorie goals most days. I drink plenty of water, I don't really drink soda, and my only vices are Earl Grey tea and Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies (but I eat the serving size, which is 160 calories for four cookies).

I can't really change the amount of time that I work out, since I have to do it in the morning before work (and these 5:30am wake-up times are already killing me). I don't own a car so I walk everywhere, plenty of additional exercise in my big city. I just don't know what I'm doing differently. The first time, the weight just fell off; this time, it's being rather stubborn.

~Frustrated in Chicago

I think the 1st question is are you taking in enough calories for the amount of activity you're doing. I was in the same boat as you (but with a lot more weight). I workout 6 day/week and wasn't dropping any pounds, but after I got my BodyMedia device and adjusted my calories up I am finally starting to release the pounds and inches.
  • mommygirlx3
    mommygirlx3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know with me I have to eat my calories if I am under I will not lose weight, also check measurements you might not be losing weight but may be inches.
  • Bjninja
    Bjninja Posts: 44
    Options
    Thanks guys for the tips! Now that MFP has the handy app that allows you to scan the barcodes of foods, I've been really good about counting all of that. I can definitely tell I've built up muscle (though the inches are pesky things).

MsFaithful, is the BodyMedia device like a heart rate monitor? I used to wear a HRM at the gym, but I stopped once I realize it was telling me that I was burning 600 calories for a 30 minute workout (and back then, I would eat those 600 calories back and STILL lose weight). It may be that I'm not eating enough, though I'm usually within 50 or so calories of my goal. I will start keeping better track of my sugar and salt intake though.
  • Lmullaney79
    Lmullaney79 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    you could also go see a dietician... i was having similar issues and found out that while in pursuit of "low-fat" i was killing myself with carbs...
  • msfaithful
    msfaithful Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the tips! Now that MFP has the handy app that allows you to scan the barcodes of foods, I've been really good about counting all of that. I can definitely tell I've built up muscle (though the inches are pesky things).

MsFaithful, is the BodyMedia device like a heart rate monitor? I used to wear a HRM at the gym, but I stopped once I realize it was telling me that I was burning 600 calories for a 30 minute workout (and back then, I would eat those 600 calories back and STILL lose weight). It may be that I'm not eating enough, though I'm usually within 50 or so calories of my goal. I will start keeping better track of my sugar and salt intake though.

Not to sound like a commercial but....

BodyMedia, a validated and highly-accurate multi-sensor Armband, automatically tracks your calories around the clock, helping you to lose weight. The revolutionary system is proven to improve weight loss by 3X!

Easy as 1-2-3

•Armband Gathers Data: Four sophisticated sensors automatically and accurately capture data.
    •System Analyzes Data: Readings from the Armband are converted to personal measurements.
    •Applications Show Output: Feedback based on detailed results of personal measurements helps you to pinpoint which actions will help you succeed.
    By connecting your BodyMedia Armband to your MyFitnessPal account, your daily calorie goal will automatically be adjusted to take into account your activity level as measured by your BodyMedia Armband.

Currently you can get the bands with a 20% discount and MyFitnessPal members get 15% off using the code "MFPBM15" at checkout. Expires 11/16/12.