Too many people

Options
Hi, I come from a household with 8 of us and I find it difficult to keep my diet in control due everyone else eating what they want. I am trying to watch what I eat but I am finding it difficult to maintain this especially at meal times when my family are eating fried foods.

We also have a lot of family visiting us as we stay near each other - this means giving tea and coffee which means unhealthy snacks. I try to control myself but sometimes give in to the temptaion.

I just joined this forum less than 1 week ago and you can see from my food diary that it has been going OK so far (apart from the weekend - had visitors from the States!)

If anyone has good advice or are in a similar situation feel free to comment.

Replies

• RoAnn
    RoAnn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just cook healthy meals for my boyfriend and I and we have removed most snacks from our home... which was really hard and have opted for healthier snack options. He really has no choice on what to eat unless he wants to cook it himself! Just trying to control portions when I want to have something "normal/bad" to eat seems to be the key for me and having salad before I want to have something bad really helps me control portions. Some days it is so hard but you just have to take it day by day. Your family and friends can only benefit from you putting healthy meals and snacks in front of them. Good Luck to you!
  • mkoff32
    mkoff32 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Time and time again my eating habits have been derailed by my wife going shopping and bringing home all kinds of crap for the kids. However, kids are kids and you can't deny them their occasional sweets. I finally fixed this problem by doing the shopping myself. I now choose healthier alternatives such as the slow churned yogurt instead of the triple chocolate fudce ice cream. Or chocolate peanut butter fiber bars instead of hostess cupcakes. Those are suprisingly good and the kids love them too!
  • deedee8812
    Options
    I understand what you're talking about completely. I have tried to get my family involved in my eating plan. But they usually give me a "That's great, honey." or a "Way to go, Mom.", and I just smile right back at them.

I've talked up MFP since I started a couple of weeks ago. I've talked to my family and my co-workers and friends. They all say pretty much the same thing...."I couldn't count calories all day."

I also do the cooking for the family, so I make them what they like and I have my own meals and just keep going. I've lost almost 3 pounds in this short period. I'm convinced and no one is going to change my mind.

So I say, ignore them. Stick to your plan. You win in the end!!!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Hi Aisha,

Our household consists of me, my husband, 5 kids from 10-23 and my mother! My sister lives near by and she has 5 kids too. There is always some Sunday get together and birthdays! I try very hard to use portion control and my family has finally accepted that if it has sugar in it I won't be eating it. I try to have healthy snacks available to set out when friends or family stop by for tea so that I can set out cookies/biscuits and then something healthier.

You mention tea which means you are a fellow tea lover and I must say that drinking tea is my salvation. When the family opens up a bag of chips to watch the movie. I heat up water and pull out my brown betty! I make a big pot of tea use my finest china teacup and feel indulgent sipping my yummy tea! I mentally psyche myself up about loving my tea!

I do the same on the road. I have a travel mug and I bring a thermos of tea when we head out.

When you are the hostess, plan for some good foods. When you are the guest, portion control.

Remember there is nothing that tastes as good as the feeling of being healthy!

Sorry, if this was too long. Best of Luck!

DD
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Wow, that's a tough one. I think the best strategy would be to eat a lot of fruits and veggies between meals so that you can be satisfied with only a very small portion of the fattiest dinner table offerings. It's very hard in the beginning, resisting the constant temptation. But it does get easier when you realize how much better you feel without the excess artery-clogging foods. My strategy at family get togethers is to load my plate up with vegetable stuff and only one or two portions of high-calorie things (my family likes italian food a lot, so there's always super-cheesy pasta dishes and cream sauces). I make myself eat all the veggies on my plate before taking a bite of the other stuff. Since the bad stuff is the last part of the meal, it feels more satisfying than if I had eaten it first and then followed with boring veggies.

Best of luck to you - you can do this.
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - a household of 6.

I bought a Weight Watchers cookbook that has recipes for simple dinners that don't take much time. My husband does most of the cooking since he works PT and I work FT, but he has been making dinners from the cookbook. It has recipes that the kids will eat and basically they are lower fat versions.

We have also added salad to just about every dinner - my kids LOVE it! and we have a steamed vegetable with dinner as well. choices are more limited there as they pretty much will only eat green beans and brocoli but if that's what they'll eat, that's what we serve.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    wow, yep, I hear you loud and clear on that subject! I don't really have that problem (thank God) but just last night I went to baby sit my daughters 2 little kids ages 1 and 2. There were SO many goodies in that kitchen! OMG! I came very close to pigging out! I just started this, trying to loose weight, not even a week ago and I'm still very new at it.

It was hard, but every time I started eyeing one of those huge cookies I looked at this picture I have of me, skinny, and then tried to do something to take my mind off eating.

By the way, a good thing for me is to find a picture of myself when I was a good weight and put it in my purse. I look at it a lot when my resistance starts declining.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I too have a large family. I am married and live with my husband and daughter, but I am always at my parents house and so are my brother and sisters and their wife and husbands and kids. We're always together and the main focus is food. I am the only one in my family that has a weight problem so no one really cares or watches what they eat. I'm middle-eastern and a lot of our food is rice and meat with bread.

Basically, everyone in my family knows that I am trying to lose weight and supports me. It's just up to you to control what you have and what you don't have. No one is going to stop eating that cake, or drinking that tea, or having that rice because you are trying to lose weight so you have to prepare yourself. If you need to, grocery shop for your special foods. There have been many times where the family is eating something I can't/don't want and I'm eating salad and chicken! Other times I have what they are having and just have a small portion!

Remember, YOU are in control.

You can totally do this. Good luck!
  • aisha11188
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice - Just hope I can keep it up.
    Going home now from uniiversity so I just hope something healthy is made otherwise I will need to have a breakfast cereal or eat in moderation.

Thanks again ;-)