Working out 4-5x a day still no weight loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    My guess is you are gaining heavy muscle and losing the fatty parts. I would starting measuring inches too. I bet you are making progress with toning but the scale doesnt say that.

Gaining muscle from RUNNING?
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options

Your RMR might be lower than you think. You could go to a lab and get this tested.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

To say eat more is wrong.

To say eat less is wrong.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

This!
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    thats all you eat?!

This. Eat more, and change your cardio to strength.

Im confused. Surely cardio is what burns the fat (and weight) -- strength just tones and tightens....

Am i completely wrong?

Eating at a deficit burns fat, you don't need cardio to lose weight. Cardio is good for other reasons, so there's no reason to leave it out, but if you really want to lose weight, start lifting.
  • joyceellison
    joyceellison Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    try and eat more fibre x
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

I looked it up online thank you!

What bothers me the most is that my BMI is in the overweight section. It's such a damper on my mood and it almost hurts emotionally even more knowing that I'm working out and nothing is changing. Well maybe measurements but that's it.

Girl, BMI is not the best indicator of health or fitness. It's a statistical measure, meaning it works well for those in the middle part of the curve, but starts failing for those on the outsides of the curve. I am 5'10, and at my fittest (and smallest) playing college soccer, I was still considered "overweight" on the BMI scale. I learned quickly not to set my goals by it.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    thats all you eat?!

This. Eat more, and change your cardio to strength.

Im confused. Surely cardio is what burns the fat (and weight) -- strength just tones and tightens....

Am i completely wrong?

Eating at a deficit burns fat, you don't need cardio to lose weight. Cardio is good for other reasons, so there's no reason to leave it out, but if you really want to lose weight, start lifting.

mmmmm i am really confused now - can you elaborate... this means my whole strategy is incorrect!!! HELP PLEASE!
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options

mmmmm i am really confused now - can you elaborate... this means my whole strategy is incorrect!!! HELP PLEASE!

i'll give that a shot in very broad terms...

a) eating at a deficit (i.e. less calories in than you use to live/breath/move/exercise) will cause you to lose weight because the extra calories the body needs, it'll find by converting either muscle or fat into energy. this is the heart of the MFP concept.

b) doing any exercise (strength or cardio) takes energy so if you exercise, you can affect your daily calorie balance.

c) what i think people above are saying is that you don't *have* to do the cardio exercise if your daily calorie intake is already in deficit, and cardio alone does not magically burn fat. it is all down to the fact that if calories in < calories out, the body will use its stored resources to make up the difference and you lose weight.
    doing cardio is a reasonably way to increase your daily calorie expenditure so you can afford to eat more (and feel fuller/happier) while still using more energy than you eat.

c#2) on the negative, if you do *lots* of steady state cardio (most evident in long distance running but to a lesser extent stuff like 30mins 3-5xweek steady running on a treadmill will have the same effect) is actually training the body to become more efficient at doing that stead state activity and to an extent all similar activities like walking around. The body will train itself into needing *less* calories just to exist so you'll end up having to do more exercise to maintain the same calorie deficit.
    (this also doesn't happen over night but it is a risk if all you do is cardio)

c#3) however, there are other great benefits to cardio like better heart and lung function so cardio is A GOOD THING, just not directly for pure weight loss

d) on the other hand, strength training is aiming to build more muscle mass and muscle is naturally a much more 'active' substance than fat and other body structures. This means that just by existing, it needs more calories to do it's job even when not exercising. the more muscle you have, the higher your daily calorie needs and the easier it is to maintain a calorie deficit.

does that make sense? There is lots and lots more info floating around these boards and many people who can better tell you the science behind these board statements. everything above is very much in layman's terms and thus probably subtly incorrect in places but the general idea i think is sound.

- no given exercise can "cause" you to lose weight
    - losing weight is all about calories in v's calories out
    - doing exercise effects what your body can do (run faster/longer/stay in breath longer etc) and what it looks like (muscles under a smaller layer of fat = smooth 'shapely' - western ideal - bodies)
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

using a couple of common cliches on here:

eat less, move more

eat less = daily calorie deficient by eating under your TDEE
    move more = cardio

exercise to look good in clothes, lift weights to look good out of clothes

look good in clothes = cardio
    look good out of clothes = strength training

all 3 components are part of the journey. try to do all.

both eating under your BMR/TDEE and cardio burn stored fat

strength training increases your metabolism, which increases your fat burn throughout the day (and also burns some calories while actually doing the strength training), and tones your body so you look good at the end of your journey.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

look good in clothes = cardio
    look good out of clothes = strength training

To expand on this... Resistance training is more effective at cutting fat as it raises your metabolic rate and forces your muscles to repair themselves. While cardio is good for the heart, it also burns a ton of calories and if you do a lot of cardio, you will burn through your fat stores and will start to pull energy from your muscles (also seen in those who have large calorie deficits). This is why people lose lean body mass during weight loss and even more so in those who do NOT weight train.

There is a difference between fat loss vs weight loss. A good read below.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx
  • jcolier
    jcolier Posts: 64
    Options
    Do you track your food on here? I don't see 1550 worth of calories in that list!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    The food you listed doesn't seem like it would equal 1500. Maybe your soup is really hearty? Six slices of thin cut turkey is 50 calories. So your post workout dinner is less than that? I would suggest eat more too... Up the protein to feed muscle growth. More muscle burns more calories.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    With what you listed for food, that is no way close to 1500, you need to eat more, start tracking if you aren't already and you will be surprised at how little you are eating, especially on the days you exercise.