Lost 20lbs and feel like I can't see it....

Options
I have lost about 20 pounds so far and I feel like I can't see it! I know it is probably because it has been so gradual. I started around 280 and I'm down to around 260. I started at a size 18/20 and I can still wear all of my clothes although I feel like some of them don't look very good because they're getting baggier and making me look heavier than I actually am. BUT...whenever I go to try on clothes I don't feel like the next size down is quite comfortable yet either. I also think I have a little bit of a mental block that if I buy new clothes I'll magically gain all of the weight back!

Replies

• SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    It sounds like you are in between sizes. Take you measurments. You will see that you are losing inches, I bet. Oh, and congrats on losing 20!
  • Raya1980
    Options
    Don't fret, I have a co worker that lost 30 lbs in a month and even though it doesn't look it yet she says her clothes are fitting looser. Congrats :)
  • thats awesome that the clothes are fitting on you better.
    I agree - you are probably inbetween sizes! Dont give up- hang in there and you'll be in the smaller size in no time..
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You will notice it all of a sudden when you least expect it. Keep doing what you're doing. Also, try going to thrift stores for clothes in the interim. I skipped two sizes the first time and was amazed.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I started around 10lbs lighter than you and it took 40lbs before my brain started to catch on, I've lost over 80lb now and I still have days where I feel like I haven't lost anything (you can see the huge difference on my profile pic). We're our own worst critics, you'll get there x
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    i totally get it! ive lost 30 and I still dont see it..I mean i know my clothes are fitting better but still! I started taking weekly pics so I could actually see the difference. Keep up the great work! 20lbs is awesome!
  • remisenforme
    remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I'm only down 14 lbs so far but I can't tell at all. My girlfriend is down around 30 and feels like she can't really tell either! I can see a difference in her but she can't. I completely agree about taking measurements!! That's the only way to really measure for sure :)
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    1- I think it's always harder for us (or those who see us CONSTANTLY) to see it on ourselves, as we look in the mirror day in and day out.

2- I think that it's also harder to see a difference on a loss for a bigger person, than that same number of lbs loss on a smaller person. (ex 380-->260 vs 160-->140)

3. I completely sympathize, as I've yoyo'ed in the past, and my starting weight this time was 289.6. Oh well......eventually! I know it's motivating to actually be able to tell (other than by the scale or tape measure) that you're making progress, but it IS working. Keep it up! :)
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 20 pounds so far and I feel like I can't see it! I know it is probably because it has been so gradual. I started around 280 and I'm down to around 260. I started at a size 18/20 and I can still wear all of my clothes although I feel like some of them don't look very good because they're getting baggier and making me look heavier than I actually am. BUT...whenever I go to try on clothes I don't feel like the next size down is quite comfortable yet either. I also think I have a little bit of a mental block that if I buy new clothes I'll magically gain all of the weight back!

I can completely relate! Last night I went to try on clothes and I am in between sizes as well. it's frustrating. My pants are mostly baggy, but smaller sizes aren't flattering either. This isn't the first time I've gone through this, but it still isn't fun.

Also, I keep thinking that I'm going to put the weight back on - that was two sizes ago. Take the plunge. Box up the bigger clothes just in case. When you lose another size, I say ditch everything that is too big. It's so rewarding.
  • Maxx80
    Maxx80 Posts: 26
    Options
    Don't give up you are doing great...I also lost 20lbs and I don't seem to notice the difference much but friends and famliy that I haven't seen in some time say they do which cheers me up. So stay positive and keep tracking your calories on MFP and read about others success you will get there soon. :smile:
  • dobrydney
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think it's a good point that it's harder for me to see it. I just realized my profile pic is my husband and I, so I'm the girl in it haha, but he keeps saying he can see it but I am having a harder time. I also hadn't though of the idea of being between sizes. I have a feeling I stuffed my butt into clothes that didn't fit me and now those clothes are baggy on me but not quite at the smaller size yet. Also like the idea of boxing stuff up. Being in my 20s and being on a budget I have a hard time just tossing clothes and then if I gain weight back having to buy more. The hubby has overtime in his check this week, so I think maybe I'll take the plunge and go shopping!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    20 pounds? That's great! Even if you don't quite see it yet, surely you FEEL it. I've only lost 9 but already notice a difference in how much easier it is to climb stairs, paint my own toenails, reach the middle of my back to scratch...Hang in there. It's happening!
  • ksnegirl
    ksnegirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I have only lost 10 but since I've done it so gradually (in 3 months), I'm not seeing much of a difference. I am choosing to slowly lose weight intentionally. I've tried the quick route and always gain back. What stinks is that NOBODY notices since it's so gradual. Bummer.
  • ksnegirl
    ksnegirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    P.S. Congratulations on 20 lbs!!
  • dobrydney
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I have only lost 10 but since I've done it so gradually (in 3 months), I'm not seeing much of a difference. I am choosing to slowly lose weight intentionally. I've tried the quick route and always gain back. What stinks is that NOBODY notices since it's so gradual. Bummer.

Definitely understand! I've lost the 20 since I started on here in May, which isn't super fast. My goal is to have people I see once a hear at Christmas time notice a difference this year!
  • megannxx
    megannxx Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I've lost almost 42lbs and I still cant see it. People keep telling me I'm looking great but I dont see it.
    Everyone remember, we are our own worst critics.

Congrats on the 20lb loss!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I started at 332 and it wasn't til I lost 40-50 pounds before I started buying smaller clothes. Once I started wearing more form fitting things, everyone noticed and the compliments started coming in. Just stick with it.
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on where you are losing it too! I've lost 23 lbs, 21 of which has been since Sept 4th and I have gone down one size but my lower portion (hips and thighs) have always been my most heavy areas. I've lost alot in that area and in my face. Some people lose little by little all over and therefore it would take a little longer to go down sizes. You are doing a fabulous job, keep doing what you are doing. I encourage you to take pictures also! It helps to really see the difference!
  • mistressfaye
    mistressfaye Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've lost 13 and didnt see it either, though other people did. Yesterday I took a picture (its posted in my profile) of me wearing the same outfit I was wearing the day before I decided to get serious about losing weight. You might try doing something similar if you have pictures pre the 20 pounds?
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It took me a loss of 25 pounds for *anyone* to comment at all on any weight loss. Now I'm down 33 pounds and lots of people have said something, but I find it hard to see in the mirror even though I've definitely lost inches and have gone down sizes. Part of the issue for me I think is that I've kept on wearing some of my old clothes, which are now much too big for me - hides a lot of the weight loss. (I don't want to buy a lot of clothes until I get to maintenance). When I'm wearing things that actually fit my present size, a lot more people notice that I've lost weight.

I didn't take my measurements when I started this journey, but I wish I had because I've definitely lost quite a few inches. The big thing I do for motivation now is "go shopping in my closet," i.e., try on the clothes that I can now fit into that were once relegated to the back of my closet.

Also, as you keep going you may notice a big change in your shape all of a sudden. There were a few pairs of pants that I didn't think I could fit until I lost a couple more pounds. By the time I lost those pounds, I tried them on again and they were noticeably too big.

Keep up the great work!!!