Will friends be the piece I've been missing?

Options
I'm a 42 yo female with 50 pounds to lose. I have fibromyalgia so exercise on a regular basis is difficult. My mind is in the right place, but my heart gets discouraged whenever my weight loss stalls out. Not sure if the community function on MFP will be the piece I need to keep from becoming vexed, but I'm willing to give it a try. The one thing I can promise is encouragement for others. Apparently, I'm better at communicating than I am at losing weight!

Replies

• theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It's worth a try! Accountability is necessary for some people (like myself).
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    if you want to add me as a friend plz feel free to do so. i will help you with anything i can.....if anything i will encourage you.....or kick ur butt if thats what you want lol! :flowerforyou:
  • floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend as well :-)
  • heidibowling
    heidibowling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can add me too! I think having a community of people to talk to when things get tough and to help celebrate your successes is the most important thing. I'm always open to more friends on here- add away, people! :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You should build up the strength of your heart, it will have your back when nothing else will. And to stand up and say you know your heart is the secret to your strength is a beautiful moment.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I've been at this for a while but didn't buckle down and get serious (and accountable) until I started getting friends and using the community...then it just kind of clicked. I lost the weight in my ticker (plus about 10lbs last year) just through diet so while being able to exercise regularly would be ideal, you can totally do this just with adjusting your calorie intake :)
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    It has worked for me. I had fallen out of the working out groove for about 3 months. Then the more friends I got the more motivated I got. Seeing them working hard made me want to move. Having friends on here is a HUGE asset.
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am 42 with 50 lbs to lose also, diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but not accepting the diagnosis and still looking for the cause. I am sporadic at exercising because of the pain, so I understand. Add me!
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    add me i will kick you up the bum :D maybe you just need more support x
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hi, we have similar goals/age, I am on daily and like to support and encourage my pals, add me if you like ;-)
  • jparks341
    jparks341 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, love the community of MFP friends. Motivation and support is a great plus, it helps the process. Plus you can get better direct feedback on your progress. You can also look at what others are doing to help them lose weight.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am in the middle of the whole lupus things so I know all to well what it is life living with chronic pain. HUGS!

And yes, it does help having friends that hold you accountable. You will make better choices, especially if your diary is open, when you have friends around you that are cheering you on and lifting you up. Exercise is GREAT for helping with being fit and weight loss but not necessary. You can have and maintain a healthy body weight by eating the right foods.

If you are not currently on an antidepressant I would like to recommend doing your research and talking to your doctor about 5 HTP, it has helped me a great deal, I have all but 2 of the symptoms of fibromyalgia and the the all natural 5 HTP is widely used to help with it. If you google it, you will see many articles on the benefits. Like I said, if you are NOT on an antidepressant currently.

Good luck and fee free to talk to me any time you need to talk about being in pain. Judgement free zone here and I will NOT try to fix you or tell you what you need to do. God knows I am sick and tired of that too.
  • RychelleD
    RychelleD Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Having friends on here has made a huge difference for me. Feel free to add me if you want! :)
  • roguestates
    Options
    I've found the friends component to be pretty important. Even though we live in a fatphobic world where practically everyone is on a diet, losing weight can be a very lonely thing, strangely enough. You're welcome to add me. My overall goal is to lose about 50 pounds, 20+ of which I lost prior to MFP, and I'm still trucking along.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I think friends do matter. I have been lucky enough to find supportive, friendly, easy going friends who all want what I want. To be honest, they are more interested in my progress than my Facebook friends. So MFP can be somewhat addictive :-) Friend me if you would like.
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and maintaining a good weight is a marathon - one that will last the rest of your life. The lifestyle change will work - it may be slow but you can get there. Friend me if you want; I am intentionally not trying to lose weight fast to fight getting discouraged and to start a relationship with food that will last forever and not be dropped when the weight is off.
  • Brynne1234
    Brynne1234 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me!