Seeking Some Support

Options
I have been posting on these boards on & off for some months now. Last week I came to the conclusion that all I have been doing is BSing and not doing what I have to do. My husband finally brought the treadmill my mother gave me to the house this weekend. I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes yesterday. I plan on walking for 45 minutes today and will do so atleast 5 times a week.

My goal is to eventually be able to run 4 miles on the treadmill. I know I can do this. Does anyone have any tips on how I can build myself up 4 miles on a treadmill?

Thank you all for the support you have given me in the past.

Hugs, Monica

Replies

• leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have been posting on these boards on & off for some months now. Last week I came to the conclusion that all I have been doing is BSing and not doing what I have to do. My husband finally brought the treadmill my mother gave me to the house this weekend. I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes yesterday. I plan on walking for 45 minutes today and will do so atleast 5 times a week.

My goal is to eventually be able to run 4 miles on the treadmill. I know I can do this. Does anyone have any tips on how I can build myself up 4 miles on a treadmill?

Hugs, Monica

If your stuggling to find time and or motivation think about increasing the incline and the speed instead of trying to work out for longer - you will gain fitness and continue to increase your workout by working out harder rather than longer
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options

Hugs, Monica

If your stuggling to find time and or motivation think about increasing the incline and the speed instead of trying to work out for longer - you will gain fitness and continue to increase your workout by working out harder rather than longer

Also, with the motivation part. Sometimes I try and make a mix on my iPod of different songs with different beats. The fast ones I run to, the slower ones I walk/jog. Interval training to music. It keeps me pumping and pepped up at the same time. :happy:

The treadmill can bore me sometimes.
  • jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I ecently came across a thread about www.c25k.com. It is supposedly a program to build you up to running 5K in nine weeks, even if you never thought you could run before. It's called Couch to 5K. I am thinking about trying it. Would be great for you if you have a treadmill at home probably.
  • kateyb
    kateyb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the couch to 5k program? I can't run to save my life but this is how I plan to start. Today is day 1 so I can update you tomorrow. A lot of people on here seem to have done it and rave about it though. Claims to get you from virtually no running to 5k uninterrupted within 9 weeks!!! Check out www.c25k.com or www.coolrunnings.com for details.

Good luck x
  • kateyb
    kateyb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    lol jinxed jenlhugg x
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    Options
    If you don't currently run at all, start with intervals. When I started running about a year ago, I would do a five minute walking warm up, then two minutes running at about 5mph, then three minutes walking, two minutes running etc for 20 min then a 5 minute walking cool down (30 min total). Begin to increase the interval that you run and decrease the interval that you walk. Once you can run for about 8 minutes, then switch to running in mile increments. Start with one mile straight, then add distance in increments of a half mile.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the couch to 5k program? I can't run to save my life but this is how I plan to start. Today is day 1 so I can update you tomorrow. A lot of people on here seem to have done it and rave about it though. Claims to get you from virtually no running to 5k uninterrupted within 9 weeks!!! Check out www.c25k.com or www.coolrunnings.com for details.

Good luck x

let me know how it is. Im thinking of looking into it.
  • CaraAmor
    CaraAmor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My advice is to definitely check out Cool Running's Couch to 5K program. Just 30 minutes a day/3 times per week.

I'm on week five right now and it really works! Lots of great advice and information. Check it out at http://www.coolrunning.com.

In addition, I would recommend downloading Robert Ullrey's weekly podcasts that work alongside the C25K program. They are free... you just load them on your iPod or MP3 player (he has them in both formats) and follow along... no need to worry about a stopwatch. I run early in the morning or late at night outside and on uneven terrain, so constantly checking my watch was a real pain... the podcasts eliminate all that! Robert's a great "coach" and the music is easy to run to! You can download the free podcasts at http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/.

Good Luck!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

Hugs, Monica

Ok - running is a far off dream for me... my knees could not handle my weight running right now. But I wanted to tell you how much I admire you for your very honest post. I think it takes a lot of guts to admit that you've been "BSing". I started about a year ago and fell off the wagon... but I can tell you that the treadmill works for me.

What I love about having the treadmill is that I can get on for 10-20 minutes now - and a little later if I feel like a quick walk - I can get on again. It's easy, it's there and it's... thoughtless... I don't have to plan a trip to the gym. Take it as it comes - when what you're doing seems to be getting easy - run for 30 seconds to a minute - then walk again - then run a little more. Before you know it - you'll be there. I also agree that having good music to walk/run to helps. I try to put a new song on my IPod every once in a while and I promise myself to walk until I hear it... and I don't allow myself to fast forward through songs! LOL! Good luck! You can totally do this!
  • boricua3177
    boricua3177 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding and providing support. I never heard of the Couch to 5k program. I am definitely going to check that out and start that tonight.

Once again thank you everyone for being such great people....

Monica