can i lose weight without exercing?

Options
this week i've been able to exercing a lot a bruned just 1200 calories and everyday i take 1200-1500 calories . There're still 3 days in the week but i was wonderring what if i won't be able to exercising during next days ,i mean i'm gonna still lose weight just keeping up dieting?

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 90% diet.
    Exercise is mainly for fitness.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will lose weight. I did it. Did do any excercise for about 6 months. Lost weight, and muscle. I don't recommend it at all.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes. When I was unable physically to work out (hurt my back) I followed this method and lost probably 10-15 pounds with diet alone.

http://www.answerfitness.com/316/zig-zag-dieting-fitness-nerd/
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit makes me lose weight. But even the mild exercise I can do helps me tone.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    That's how I lost my first 25lb. Then I hit a plateau, learned more about fitness, and now I'm still the same weight but lower bf%
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    yes
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    IMO you need to workout,
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Yes you can.

You will probably like your results better if you do include exercise as a regular part of your lifestyle. But that doesn't mean you have to do it every day, or that you won't make progress if you can't exercise for a few days.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    this week i've been able to exercing a lot a bruned just 1200 calories and everyday i take 1200-1500 calories . There're still 3 days in the week but i was wonderring what if i won't be able to exercising during next days ,i mean i'm gonna still lose weight just keeping up dieting?

I dont exercise at all and i've lost 14 pounds.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes, but you are more than likely able to keep off the weight longer and you can eat more calories if you workout. But since you have little weight to lose, you should be aiming to lose 1/2 lb per week and eating 50% of your exercise calories if MFP is estimating.

Also, weight training will help "tone" your body., aka you burn more fat when you weight train and you preserve your muscle mass so you can have a leaner and tighter body at a higher weight.
  • Texafornia23
    Texafornia23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yes you can definitely lose the weight, but you won't necessarily lose the shape. Diet will help you drop the pounds and exercise will help you change your body composition.

In other word, if you are shape like a pear and you just diet... you'll look like a smaller pear. If you add cardio and weight lifting you'll change your shape.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit means you will lose weight, but building muscle means you will burn more calories while playing on the internet since your body has to sustain that muscle.

More muscle means you can eat more, and I'm all for that.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Diet helps you to lose weight. Exercise assists that process but mainly prevents you from looking like and feeling like you just came out of a multi-year coma once you get to your target weight.
  • anewlife4me8610
    anewlife4me8610 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    What science teaches us about calories is you have to burn 3500 MORE calories than you take in to lose one lb of weight...so as I am sure you know, the body burns 'x' amount of calories just with everyday living like breathing, heart beating and organs functioning...They figure a normal sized adult uses 1200 calories just doing that give or take a few and that is for NOT MOVING at all....so in your day I am sure you are walking talking and moving...on the days you don't exercise and you are just calorie restricting, I would suggest 1) you don't have salty foods or use table salt at all (that is because you wont be producing that extra sweat to expel the sodium) and 2) you drink a few extra glasses of ice water to help your body burn extra calories....
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    So let's see if I get what you're asking....you can't work out for the next few days so you're worried that you won't lose weight just during those few days. Correct?

If so then a few days is nothing, if you're in this for the long haul (e.g. a lifestyle change). I would not obsess over missing exercise for a few days, just eat well and you'll be fine.

To me exercise is a big part of a healthy lifestyle but sometimes things happen in life and it's not possible to work out every day.
  • rileysadams
    Options
    Your body will burn a certain number of calories to keep you alive. Pumping blood, digesting food, thinking, etc etc all require energy. Each individual takes a certain number of calories just to stay alive. When you eat/drink less than that number your body can't get the energy(calories) from food so it pulls it from somewhere else (fat stores, etc).

Here's an example: at one point I was burning 1500 calories per day on an elliptical (insane, I know...I was studying for boards and it made it easier to stay awake). I was also drinking almost a gallon of gatorade...so net weight loss: 0lbs b/c I replaced all the calories burned with more calories. Fast forward a few months. I cut my calories by 30%and did maybe 1/5 the exercise...net weight loss: 30lbs in 3mos.
  • LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yes. When I was unable physically to work out (hurt my back) I followed this method and lost probably 10-15 pounds with diet alone.

http://www.answerfitness.com/316/zig-zag-dieting-fitness-nerd/

I checked out this calculator and this is what it gave me for my age/sex/height/weight, etc. for fat loss.

I understand that I would still be eating my recommended calories for the week but the calorie cycling supposedly "tricks" the body by constantly changing daily calories. I think eating below 1200 per day is going to be tough...

Monday 1171
    Tuesday 1128
    Wednesday 1405
    Thursday 1171
    Friday 1128
    Saturday 1288
    Sunday 1171

Input from experts??? :wink:
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight before with diet alone but I have seen more of an improvement in my body shape since I started exercising. No idea what my weight is on the scales but I like what I see in the mirror. Unfortunately I have only exercised once this week as I had a muscle strain on monday and bad back last two days. It really sucks because I actually want to exercise now.