How can I learn to walk faster?

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
My walking speed is around 2 mph. The areas I walk are getting easier, so I thought boosting my speed would get a better burn, but I don't know how to walk faster. I want to work up to 2.5 mph, but when I speed up, I hit 3 mph and the shin splints kick in.

Replies

• Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    walk up hills to build strength
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Have you tried walking faster/slower intervals?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are often from pounding your heels down. Try being "lighter" on your feet and if you haven't invested in a good pair of walking shoes this might be the time to do it. You can also work on strengthening your shin muscles by placing your feet flat on the floor and raising your toes up as high as you can or stand with toes on the edge of a step and raise yourself up and down. Shin splints are just the muscles in your shin rebelling against exercise like any other muscle that doesn't get used enough.
  • quiltergirlar
    quiltergirlar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You need to keep walking and build up strength. Your legs will only go as fast as your arms. Do you have your elbows bent and swinging? Do you have good walking form? Read this: http://walking.about.com/cs/beginners/a/howposture.htm

If you have access to a treadmill, you can increase the speed slowly. Don't go from 2.5 to 3 . Increase to 2.7 for a short time then back to 2.5.
  • nadya_gonzalez
    Options
    If you are walking on the treadmill I would recommend to speed up the incline; if not look for mountains. It takes time to start jogging and then running. I am still at the pace of jogging and my legs get tired very easily. Taking intervals is a great idea because your heart speeds up and then you go slow so you can catch your breath. Wish you the best of luck! You already accomplished so much already, you're an inspiration! <3
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    If you haven't already, I'd suggest getting fitted for shoes from a running store. Tell them about the shin splints and let them help you.
  • BurkYoung
    Options
    Exactly what happened to me... I got a bicycle... I ride at about 16 miles an hour and burn about 600 calories on that hour... easier on the knees and shins !!!!
  • BurkYoung
    Options
    If you haven't already, I'd suggest getting fitted for shoes from a running store. Tell them about the shin splints and let them help you.

ABSOLUTELY !!!! There are a NUMBER of reasons to have fitted shoes if you jog or run often.... well worth the extra price.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I have walking shoes that fit properly. I don't swing my arms much as I walk; to me, that looks slightly stupid but I understand that arms are like a metronome for walking.

I want to slowly work up to a fast speed, like 2, 2.5, 3, etc. I have trouble hitting 2.5 mph. I'll do more walking close to home. I live on top of a hill and the cross streets are something like a 45 degree incline.
  • lisab0864
    lisab0864 Posts: 154
    Options
    I always thought it looked stupid when people swung their arms while walking but................once I started doing it I quickly improved my pace..... Last summer I started out walking a 17 1/2 minutes/mile (3.5 mph) - no arms swinging. By the end of summer I was walking under 11 minutes 15 seconds/mile (just over 5.3mph) over 4-6 miles and did an 8 mile race where I averaged 11 1/2 minutes/mile.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The areas I walk are getting easier, so I thought boosting my speed would get a better burn....

If that's the only reason... it really doesn't make THAT much of a difference. The only difference is you'll burn the same amount of calories in less time if you go faster. The amount of calories you burn per mile won't change much.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    It'll probably get better as you lose more weight.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    One word: Music!

I started walking at 3mph, with 4mph being my goal. I didn't think I could ever walk that fast. Now I walk at 5mph!! If I can do it anybody who can walk can. I am knock-kneed and have terrible ankles from old injuries.

What got me up to this speed? Gradually increasing and walking along to fast music. Also wearing great shoes! I wear Asics. Also change your expectations! When I expected my knees to hurt, they did! When I expected my ankles to turn, they did! But when I STOPPED expecting pain... It lessened greatly!