please answer, bad side effects from taking synthroid?

Options
any one here who takes Levothyroxin (Synthroid) for their thyroid, please answer. i had radioactive iodine treatment to kill off my thyroid a couple months ago. and now my doctor wants to start me on 88 mcg of the synthroid. and i'm having a lot of anxiety about starting this med. terrified i will have bad side effects or a reaction or something. my doctor says its usually well tolerated. what is your experience. have you had good luck on this med. did you have any bad side effects. i'm just so worried. and i'm scared, because my thyroid levels arn't completely hypo level yet, but doctor still wants me to start the synthroid. i'm just afraid, it will shoot me into the over active range again. i dunno. any one have any experience. what were your side effects. or did you do well on it?

Replies

• yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey there - there is a Thyroid group on here. If you don't get answers, consider joining them and asking :D
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I would ask about starting on Armour thyroid instead...It is a natural product made from desecrated thyroid vs synthroid/levothyroxin that is synthetic. Further more your thyroid normally produces T1, T2, T3, T4 and synthroid/levothyroxin is only synthetic T4. Many docs believe this is the only treatment needed because the body converts T4 into T3. However if you do not have working thyroid or your thyroid does not work correctly most still have side effects of underactive thyroid when taking synthyroid. Armour thyroid contains all Ts. Keep in mind that your doctor may tell you that you can not get this medication... this is not true... what happens is that sometimes there are shortages due to governement (FDA) however during these times you can go to a compound pharmacy and still get the medication. Currently I get mine from CVS oh I'm in the US
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Like Yesh said, I def. agree with joining the "hypothyroid and hyperthyroid" group on here: it's all us crazy thryoid people congregated in one place.

In regards to what you said: you have no thyroid. You NEED to go on meds, for the rest of your life. You will have awful, terrible side effects if you DON'T take any sort of treatment.

That being said... why are you scared of synthetic thyroid? Synthroid and Levothyroxine are different, by the way (and the generics are slightly different from that). Hormones are touchy and people react differently to them; synthroid didn't work for me, but levothyroxine did.

Ultimately, bad side-effects will be from your TSH, T3 and T4 levels and how you feel. Thyroid drugs have virtually no 'allergic' reactions, and don't CAUSE bad side-effects... it's how it handles your bodies needs that results in bad side-effects. For example, if armour works better for your body chemistry, you'll feel better; if your body doesn't quite recognize synthroid the same way, you'll feel worse.

Unfortunately, many thyroid people have to juggle different drugs/doses during their lifetime to get a good marker for how to feel good with thyroid problems.

Dosing, however, is another issue. 88mcg isn't terribly high; I'm almost surprised if your thyroid was just destroyed that you're not higher, as higher thyroid doses helps to minimize/kill any excess tissue (I had a complete thyroidectomy + thyroid scare, so was on 137mcg forever and ever).

So, you may be slightly overactive for the time being, because thyroid hormone is SLOW. Your body will probably still have lingering TSH because your pituitary will still think you have a thyroid, you might have some existing T3, T4 still circulating, etc.

Any endo will tell you, though--thyroid hormone is much easier to regulate from "hyper" to not... so if you do shoot into overactive, it's much faster to correct. Underactive takes longer.

Plus, they're going to give you meds now, because most thyroid meds have a longer half-life... so to let you go untreated, you'll feel awful in a few months or even weeks; with thyroid meds, you will hopefully not get that.

Don't worry--you won't get any sort of sudden, "OMG I FEEL AWFUL" outside of a placebo effect if you're already expecting that
  • firstsip
    Options
    I would ask about starting on Armour thyroid instead...It is a natural product made from desecrated thyroid vs synthroid/levothyroxin that is synthetic. Further more your thyroid normally produces T1, T2, T3, T4 and synthroid/levothyroxin is only synthetic T4. Many docs believe this is the only treatment needed because the body converts T4 into T3. However if you do not have working thyroid or your thyroid does not work correctly most still have side effects of underactive thyroid when taking synthyroid. Armour thyroid contains all Ts. Keep in mind that your doctor may tell you that you can not get this medication... this is not true... what happens is that sometimes there are shortages due to governement (FDA) however during these times you can go to a compound pharmacy and still get the medication. Currently I get mine from CVS oh I'm in the US

"Most" is an incorrect statement. Many people have success on synthroid and levothyroxine. Others don't, hence why there's Armour, Cytomel, etc.
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    In regards to what you said: you have no thyroid. You NEED to go on meds, for the rest of your life. You will have awful, terrible side effects if you DON'T take any sort of treatment.

^ This! They killed your thyroid. If you don't take some sort of replacement, you will suffer far worse side effects.

I have been on synthroid for about 5-6 yrs now and have not had any side effects what so ever. Just an FYI

Don't worry too much about it, I am sure your doctor knows what is best for you.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    thanks so much every one. made me feel a lot better. and calm me down a lot. i appreciate it.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have been on synthroid for almost two years now and no bad side effects at all. If anything, I have noticed positive changes like more energy and easier to keep weight off.
  • truddy6647
    Options

"Most" is an incorrect statement. Many people have success on synthroid and levothyroxine. Others don't, hence why there's Armour, Cytomel, etc.

I would have to disagree as this information can be found in many studies. While there are many people who have success with synthroid, however, there are many that do not and many who still have break through symtoms while on synthroid Ie: brain fog; dry skin; heat or cold intolerances etc. This is something that I have read a number of journal articles on, I also have seen many patients who have just these types of break through symptoms. I am a Certified Medical Assistant and have been working in the medical filed since 1997.
  • firstsip
    Options

I would have to disagree as this information can be found in many studies. While there are many people who have success with synthroid, however, there are many that do not and many who still have break through symtoms while on synthroid Ie: brain fog; dry skin; heat or cold intolerances etc. This is something that I have read a number of journal articles on, I also have seen many patients who have just these types of break through symptoms. I am a Certified Medical Assistant and have been working in the medical filed since 1997.

Perfect. Post your verified, validated studies.

P.S. You changed your wording from "most" to "many," which was what I was critiquing. Many people also have adverse effects on naturally desiccated thyroid, like development of tachycardia, jitteriness, muscle aches, etc. That doesn't mean most people will have these effects or most people won't have these effects. To say "most" people have luck or no luck on a drug when there is not a valid statistic to back it up is misinformation. Semantics is important.
  • Notyourrevolution
    Notyourrevolution Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've taken synthroid since I was 15 due to a strong hereditary predisopiosition to hypothyroidism. As others have stated, you do NEED something if your thyroid has been killed off or you WILL experience adverse effects. I'm sure your doctor will make sure to monitor you closely in the beginning and if they don't, ask to have your levels checked regularly while your body sorts out the new situation. Also, you might want to request a referral to an endocrinologist. My mom's thyroid is effectively dead (on it's own) and she has to take a supplement on top of the synthroid. Our regular doctor was not equipped to sort out what would work and what levels for her to be at, so the endo figured that out and now she's happily back to normal (she had also been on synthroid since her mid-20s and over the years her thryoid got progressively worse - mine is still crawling along at JUST below normal).
  • mrsna
    mrsna Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I too had radio active idodine treatment 2 years ago. I have been on synthroid sense then. No side effects. Because my weight has fluctuated my levels have fluctuated as well. The side effects from becoming hypo thyroid are much worse than any side effects of beginning the synthroid now. The dose that is being reccomended for you is a relatively low dose for someone with an inactive thyroid. Everyone is different but I take a dose of 125 per day.

I spoke to my doctor about Armour as recomended in a post above. My doctor is very good and will try whatever I ask as long as it is within reason. Her professional opinion is that Armour is less stable and your levels will fluctuate more causing more symptoms/negative side effects. It is better to stay with the synthroid. Good luck with your goals and feel free to add me as a friend.
  • truddy6647
    Options

P.S. You changed your wording from "most" to "many," which was what I was critiquing. Many people also have adverse effects on naturally desiccated thyroid, like development of tachycardia, jitteriness, muscle aches, etc. That doesn't mean most people will have these effects or most people won't have these effects. To say "most" people have luck or no luck on a drug when there is not a valid statistic to back it up is misinformation. Semantics is important.

here are some of the studies that I've read

Lowe, J. C. (2009). Stability, effectiveness, and safety of desiccated thyroid vs levothyroxine: A rebuttal to British thyroid association. Thyroid Science, 4(3), 1-12.

Escobar-Morreale, H.F., Botella-Carretero, J.I., Gómez-Bueno, M., et al. (2005). Thyroid hormone replacement therapy in primary hypothyroidism: a randomized trial comparing L-thyroxine plus liothyronine with L-thyroxine alone. Annals of Internal Medicine, 142(6):412-424.

Appelhof, B.C., Fliers, E., Wekking, E.M., et al. (2005). Combined therapy with levothyroxine and liothyronine in two ratios, compared with levothyroxine monotherapy in primary hypothyroidism: a double-blind, randomized, controlled clinical trial. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 90(5):2666-2674.

Walsh, J.P., Shiels, L., Mun Lim, E.E., et al. (2003). Combined thyroxine/liothyronine treatment does not improve well-being, quality of life, or cognitive function compared to thyroxine alone: a randomized controlled trial in patients with primary hypothyroidism. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 88(10):4543-4550.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    To all of you arguing about the different medications available: no one is going to know how they are going to react to a med until they try it. The doctor prescribed synthroid. Try synthroid first. If you have difficulty with it, then look in to other options. I had my thyroid surgically removed and then underwent radioactive iodine to make sure all thyroid cells were eradicated. I have been taking levoxyl ever since, with no side effects. It can sometimes take awhile to find the correct dose, and you may need to be patient.
  • firstsip
    Options

here are some of the studies that I've read

Lowe, J. C. (2009). Stability, effectiveness, and safety of desiccated thyroid vs levothyroxine: A rebuttal to British thyroid association. Thyroid Science, 4(3), 1-12.

Escobar-Morreale, H.F., Botella-Carretero, J.I., Gómez-Bueno, M., et al. (2005). Thyroid hormone replacement therapy in primary hypothyroidism: a randomized trial comparing L-thyroxine plus liothyronine with L-thyroxine alone. Annals of Internal Medicine, 142(6):412-424.

Appelhof, B.C., Fliers, E., Wekking, E.M., et al. (2005). Combined therapy with levothyroxine and liothyronine in two ratios, compared with levothyroxine monotherapy in primary hypothyroidism: a double-blind, randomized, controlled clinical trial. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 90(5):2666-2674.

Walsh, J.P., Shiels, L., Mun Lim, E.E., et al. (2003). Combined thyroxine/liothyronine treatment does not improve well-being, quality of life, or cognitive function compared to thyroxine alone: a randomized controlled trial in patients with primary hypothyroidism. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 88(10):4543-4550.

Thanks for posting the research! At a cursory glance, these appear to say nothing that I wouldn't expect... it's dangerous to say NDT has NO benefit, but all of this research says "many," not "most"... the original thing I was pointing out ;)
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have been on 125 mcg of Levothyroxine for a couple years now. My doc keeps my numbers borderline Hyper because that is where I feel better. If we keep them in normal range, I feel really run down all the time. I have not had any side effects at all.