Eat Like A Kid

Options
As a mother of two, I've read ALOT of parenting books, articles, magazines, etc. And all the time there will be info that says kids have an internal "full" mechanism that causes them to automatically know when they've eaten enough and stop, unless this is overridden when a child is young (meaning sorry but an overweight or obese toddler can only have the parents to blame, unless there is an underlying illness). I find this so fascinating, since I was overweight as a child and can look back on habits that have affecting my eating up to now. My children are both very petite, my 6yo son is borderline underweight and my daughter is in the 15th percentile for her weight. I try to get them to eat often, but those fullness cues must take over. Don't worry their doctor says they are healthy despite being so small. SOOOO, guess I should get to my point, I thought I'd take awhile to observe my children as they eat and pick up some pointers on rekindling those fullness cues.

TAKE SMALL BITES-they have small hands, small mouths, small tummys so this just kind of makes sense. But that doesn't mean that as adults we can't nibble a little. Rather than tossing a handful of Cheez-its in your mouth at once, slowly nibble from the edges on in. You'll be surprised how long 23 crackers (a serving) will last and how full you feel when you're done.

SAVOR TREATS- My one year old wasn't allowed any refined sugars until her first birthday. After her bday cake it's all been downhill. LOL. But I watch the way she eats these sweets. For example she had half a pop tart at breakfast, it took her almost 30 min to eat. She turned the pop tart over and licked off all of the icing, then nibbled her way through the top crust, then licked the filling from the middle and threw the bottom crust on the floor. Just think if we took that long to eat our treat (be it a cupcake, poptart, ice cream, or candy bar) how much more satisfying might it seem.

EAT SMALL, EAT OFTEN- my kids easily eat 5-6 small meals a day. Cereal and fruit at breakfast (regular serving portions only), then some fruit or whole grain crackers or toast as snack, then lunch is usually meat and some fruit or veggie, snack again chips and fruit, crackers and cheese, juice and cookies, etc. Then comes dinner time, which is usually my BIG meal, and they have a sandwich, small protein and fruits/veggies, will usually only eat half of a roll or other starch I serve. Dessert they are as happy with applesauce as they are with ice cream. Or work a little sweetness into dinner, a dab of honey on half a roll, and they're set.

GET MOVING-it is nearly impossible to get the kids to sit at the table once they're done. They immediately are up and running around the living room, crawling under the table, whatever. As adults we feel like we need to "let our food settle" and I'm no expert I've heard that moving around while eating or too soon after could cause indigestion, heartburn, other ills. But it seems to me that if you get up and go for a light walk, or even just leave the room, you're less likely to continue to eat past that full feeling. Immediately put leftovers away before sitting down to eat, and save the dishes for later when the kids are in bed. Enjoy some quality time after the meal and hopefully save some cals doing it.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. I just thought it was an interesting little morsel I'd picked up and wanted to share with all of you. Hope it makes you smile :happy:

Replies

• drucole
    drucole Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Excellent suggestions especially taking small bites and savoring treats!:smile:
  • melissa97
    melissa97 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It makes soo much sense....i make my 4yo's plate of food twice and i eat one of them...or atleast i try too! The serving sizes are always alot smaller and everything is cut up smaller which in turn takes longer to eat....like you said and gives your belly the time it needs to realize it is full. Im gonna try to stick to eating what my daughter eats and how she eats it and see if it helps!
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thank you for taking the time to write all of this out.
  • annaleigh92
    Options
    When I was a kid my parents always told me to be in the "clean plate club" or eat everything or else! So I can see how that natural cue to stop eating can be broken down.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    When I was a kid my parents always told me to be in the "clean plate club" or eat everything or else! So I can see how that natural cue to stop eating can be broken down.
    Yep, me too. And now I find myself doing that with my own kid. I guess I need to try and stop that. He will not go through what I did.
  • Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    It is really lovely and refreshing to hear that you are trying to get your kids into really healthy eating patterns! It will have huge benefits for them when they are older, as I am sure you realise. I am a teacher in primary school so have a couple of obese children in my class and they have appalling eating habits and diets. It makes me cross to see parents feeding their children like this as it will only cause problems for them in the future.

The tips are actually quite good ideas, although sitting at school with my pupils and licking at my sweet treats may not be seen as setting the best eating examples. :tongue:

I unfortunately wolf down my food and am really struggling to break that habit. I do try and eat small and often though as I get very irritable if I get hungry and have always felt that if I want to keep my blood sugar levels steady otherwise I get really tired and really start to flag.

Putting away any leftovers is a really good idea, I do not do this so am always tempted to finish off the leftovers, especially as they are normally very very good!

I have never got indigestion from doing a bit of light activity after a meal, unless I have completely over done it and stuffed myself!

These are lovely observations and we should definately take more notice of how young children eat, as they have not got the same hang ups as we do.

Thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • Rdahl2
    Rdahl2 Posts: 90
    Options
    Those are actually really good suggestions that make a lot of sense. I will definitely take all of this into consideration. I love the pop tart story...that made me giggle, I needed that. :laugh:
  • Feralsquirrel
    Feralsquirrel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see someone letting their kids eat naturally rather than shoving three adult-sized meals down their throats everyday. That's certainly what my parents did to me, and I'm lucky I didn't end up as a really overweight kid. Even now I feel kinda weird about leaving things on my plate or getting a to-go box at a restaurant. It's hard to see how those last few bites on a plate can make a difference but when you get used to stuffing yourself it really adds up.
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I love what you wrote! It made me smile and it makes so much sense. Thanks for opening my eyes to the obvious!
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I had many of the same "clean your plate" stories from my childhood, which is part of what prompted me to post this. When I was about 6 (same age my son is now) I was very skinny due to some medical issues. Once those were cleared up, I had an appetite and my mother only encouraged it. I can recall literally chomping on sticks of butter! Yuck. But mainly my problem was that my mom raised us to be big eaters, and then stocked the house with cheap snacks that had little or no nutrition-twinkies, pizza bites, chips, etc. I've decided to change that for myself and my kids now, as I'm sure many of us on here are doing now. As hard as it is to see my tiny little kids, I know it's just as-if not more- unhealthy to fill them full of junk just to put some weight on them.

Lady_c your comment about licking desserts in front of your class just had me laughing so hard! No probably not a good idea, but you could try eating a little slower, and cutting things up smaller.

Thank ya'll for your compliments:flowerforyou: I like to think I'm doing something right when it comes to raising my kids to be healthy and happy. And so often they teach me.