Double whammy...lose weight & stop smoking

Options
:noway:

Replies

• beessong
    Options
    Im new to this and I am quite intimidated by what to eat, what not to eat..what workouts work...cardio...and to top it off, Im a smoker!!! I want to quit so bad so I have made up my mind to go forth with my weight loss journey and stop smoking within the next 30 days...I've never put a time on it before and I'm sure it wont be easy but Im wondering if there are any other smokers on here, maybe we can motivate each other to lose weight and stop smoking???
  • LisaY76
    LisaY76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm a smoker and I have had this horrible habit for the last 25 years.:smokin: I'm only 35 but I feel like 70 when I do any cardio exercises. Yes, I meant to say I've been smoking for 25 years. I started when I was only 10 years old and in 5th grade. I was very rebellious as a kid and I still am as an adult. lol. I actually have set a date to quit. (NOVEMBER 15th, 2012) I have been committed to getting healthy and fit. I've got the exercise and diet down pat. Now I just need to do the hardest part. (QUIT SMOKING) Uggghhhhh. I am scared to death, but I know that if I can lose 40 lbs on my own, I can definitely quit smoking. I would love to have a support person to help keep me accountable. I will send you a friend request. If you feel like we could help each other, accept my request. We can do this. :bigsmile:
  • beessong
    Options
    Hey girl!! Yessss I'm super excited now, my quit date is 30 days from now...not for any particular reason it is just easy for me to remember since its 30 days from my 1st day on my weight loss journey. I'm 31 & have been smoking since I was 16 so I completely know what you mean about being rebellious :glasses: :smokin: !!! I can change my quit date to 11/15 to coincide with yours, that way it will be a true motivating force!! Thanks so much for reaching out and your story, will def keep you updated daily on what's going on & different tricks/tips that are working for me!!
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I can totally relate, I wanted to quit all my bad habits. I heard quitting smoking made it harder to diet too, but while I'm in the process I don't think that's true. I've been smoking for 8 years and after constantly getting sick with bronchitis and not being able to workout and just realizing I'm in poor shape for being 25, I somehow just stopped. I still have a pack of cigarettes and I don't even touch them! It was the craziest thing, but if you think about all the reasons you want to stop and all the awesome things you can do and buy when you don't smoke, it helps motivate you. Not to say I dont' still crave them when I drink (cause I sureeeee do), but beyond that I don't allow myself to think of them and I try not to replace them with food. LOTS OF WATER!! Once you stop smoking and start feeling better, you won't want one so badly anymore. I hope I can help! If you guys need motivation to not do it feel free to add me!
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i quit smoking and joined this site within two weeks of each other. the site gives you something t focus on other than smoking.
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies - I'm sure you'll get heaps of advice, but the best tip I can give you is to read Allan Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking. Seriously - the guy is a total *kitten*, but if you suspend your disbelief and get through the book, it can really work!

I smoked heavily for 15 years, and I mean HEAVILY. I quit in April 2009 and haven't looked back. :drinker:
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Im new to this and I am quite intimidated by what to eat, what not to eat..what workouts work...cardio...and to top it off, Im a smoker!!! I want to quit so bad so I have made up my mind to go forth with my weight loss journey and stop smoking within the next 30 days...I've never put a time on it before and I'm sure it wont be easy but Im wondering if there are any other smokers on here, maybe we can motivate each other to lose weight and stop smoking???
    Why wait?:wink: Don't feel bad. I just quit 2 days ago...lol So no, you are not alone!! I kept making excuse after excuse and I finally said NO MORE EXCUSES. I was here to get healthy, and I wasn't going to get that way when I'm still smoking :)
  • LisaY76
    Options
    Hey ladies - I'm sure you'll get heaps of advice, but the best tip I can give you is to read Allan Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking. Seriously - the guy is a total *kitten*, but if you suspend your disbelief and get through the book, it can really work!

I smoked heavily for 15 years, and I mean HEAVILY. I quit in April 2009 and haven't looked back. :drinker:
    I saw this book being endorsed by Ellen Degenerous 4 years ago and I bought it. I have read this book and I actually have it at home on my bookshelf. I quit smoking for almost 2 years after I read it and I felt great. Thanks for the reminder. I will definately have to pick it up again and give it little looksy.
  • LisaY76
    Options
    Hey girl!! Yessss I'm super excited now, my quit date is 30 days from now...not for any particular reason it is just easy for me to remember since its 30 days from my 1st day on my weight loss journey. I'm 31 & have been smoking since I was 16 so I completely know what you mean about being rebellious :glasses: :smokin: !!! I can change my quit date to 11/15 to coincide with yours, that way it will be a true motivating force!! Thanks so much for reaching out and your story, will def keep you updated daily on what's going on & different tricks/tips that are working for me!!
    You can change your date if you want to but only you will know if that is the right thing to do. I know some of the things that really helped me that last time I quit was the support I got from total strangers who were going through the same thing. I joined a support group at the local hospital and I learned a lot of cool tricks. One thing I remember being the most effective was taking "Jack N the Box" straws (they are the exact same thickness as a cigarette) and cutting them in half and chewing on those all day. It kept the nervous eating to a minimum since a smoking habit is also a hand-to-mouth habit which is why we eat so much when we quit. I also read, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Allan Carr. A must read!!! But you have to read it before you quit since it tells you in the book to keep smoking while reading the book. It even tells you when to light up. Sounds weird but it worked for me. I feel like a veteran at quitting since I have quit so many times before for varying amounts of time. Every single time was just as hard as the first so I don't want you to think that it is easy for me to quit. This is however, my first attempt at losing a substantial amount of weight and I think I'm doing pretty good at staying motivated. I've lost weight before but I never really put much effort into it until now. I know my metabolism will change once I quit smoking so I am a little nervous. But, I think we can definately keep each other motivated and on track with our goals. I look forward to kicking the habit and feeling healthy. Sorry to ramble, I'm just so excited to have a "Quit buddy".
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and lost 35 lbs. Managing portions, calories, and insane amounts of excercise.

I hate when people say "if i can do it you can do it" cuz its crap...

It was crazy difficult and the only one who can tell if you can do it is you.

the question is: How bad do you want it?
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I smoke and I would like to quit smoking... Problem is my husband smokes and everytime he lights up I want one so bad.... I bought an e-cig thing and it lasted not even a day mainly because I kept smelling my husbands cigarettes and I wanted a real cigarette so bad.... Every other month or so my husband says we should quit but it never happens..... maybe i need a quit smoking buddy too........
  • Darcyw4
    Darcyw4 Posts: 44
    Options
    I started my journey in March of this year. I quit smoking and started working out and changing my eating habits. I told myself that if I gained some weight since I was quitting smoking that it was okay - I would just work harder once the smoking was out of the way. To my surprise, I didnt gain weight - I lost. Quitting smoking was hard and SCARY. I talked to my Dr. about it and used Chantix. Now, please keep in mind that this medication does NOT work for everyone but it worked for me. My dr wanted me on it for 6 months since I had smoked for 20 yaers ( I am 30, btw) but after 2 months, I didnt like how it made me feel so I quit taking it. I thought for sure that the urge for that cigarette was going to come up again but it hasnt. I dont have the cravings for the nicotine anymore. Trust me, it is hard but isnt as hard as you would think. You will never know what you can do unless you TRY. If you fall off the wagon, get back on - give yourself a chance before you throw in the towel and say you cant do it. :flowerforyou:
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Coming up on a year smoke-free! But I wouldn't recommend my particular method - I broke my collar bone, needed surgery and my surgeon told me I'd be back within the year with a snapped plate if I didn't quit. "Am I going to have a problem with you?" That's what he said to me... No sir... no problem here. And I quit. Apparently, the idea of never healing and having a gimp arm forever was all the motivation I ever needed. BUT - that's why I'm here on MFP now... spent the winter busted up, not working out, having just quit smoking... depressed and unhappy --- and eating like a pig.

So, no... don't use my method. I have mad respect for you, taking the bull by the horns the way you are... you are fierce! Best of luck - friend me if you need a cheerleader! :flowerforyou:
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I hate when people say "if i can do it you can do it" cuz its crap...
    It was crazy difficult and the only one who can tell if you can do it is you.
    the question is: How bad do you want it? Are you ready finally to do this thing?
    [/quote]

I have smoked for 40 years. I tried everything, Finally I got my Dr to prescribe Wellbutron aka Bupheron. To this I added the 21 MG patch from Target. I set a date 16 days ago and quit. After the first 14 days I ran out of patches so instead of buying more I tore off the last one and stopped them also. I am still taking the Wellbutron and will continue for 3 more months. Oh yes very mild cravings for smoking. Worse cravings were food at night. These are getting less intense also. Finally in the last 16 days I have not lost any more weight but I have not gained an ounce.
  • ihavehope4me
    Options
    yes ma'm... I was a smoker also. I started last May with lifestyle diet change -- last July with gym and working out -- and am now 34 days smoke free. It has been really hard -- believe me!!! I have lost 117 lbs but since I quit smoking I have gained 5 lbs back. I am getting a complex about it now -- but then again since I stopped smoking I also have started some intensive weight training and started running -- so I try to tell myself it is muscle gain. I need encouragement for sure right now -- so we will have to encourage each other ;)
  • JohnnyOrlando
    Options
    Congrats on taking the first step. I have only been on a few days and I can tell you that there are a ton a nice non-judgmental people on here willing to help you obtain your goals.

I know that a lot of people gain weight when they quit smoking. Its great that you will have more support during these difficult times. I don't know much about smoking (never did) but figure it out why you do it and what you can do instead that is better for you as a substitution.

Good luck.

JohnnyOrlando
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I smoke and I would like to quit smoking... Problem is my husband smokes and everytime he lights up I want one so bad.... I bought an e-cig thing and it lasted not even a day mainly because I kept smelling my husbands cigarettes and I wanted a real cigarette so bad.... Every other month or so my husband says we should quit but it never happens..... maybe i need a quit smoking buddy too........

Hardest thing ever! ... I had to ban smoking from the house because my husband just couldn't pull the trigger and quit, too. Now I can't ride in his car and I am VERY b!tchy if he wants to use mine: NO SMOKING, I yell!

I used the patch for about 2 weeks - and then just stopped. Had the e-cig, but that always felt like a "cheat" so that didn't last long for me either.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options
    I tried lots of way before it finally stuck. The real key is to keep trying even if you fail. at least that worked for me.

I tried wellbutron, it made me cry during dog food commercials simply cuz the puppies were super cute. I never tried gum or oral methods.

The way i personally beat it, was lots of diet and excercise like i said...plus i used a technique that doesnt work for most people, but it totally worked for me.

I used a nicotine patch for 3 weeks and i smoked weed. lots and lots of weed.

I know it seems stupid, but it really helps your mind to not "dwell" on the cigaretts and you "forget" that you want a cigarette.

The dependency on marajuana that develops is so much easier to curb than the nicotine. So i did that for a few weeks after i stopped the patches then i stopped the weed. it was actually really easy to stop smoking all the weed. The only time i still smoke weed is before working out, again, it helps my mind focus on other things instead of say, how long i've been running on this damn treadmill.

thats what i did...it could work for you if your a "functional" weed smoker. it wont work if your a "play video games and eat oreo's" weed smoker.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options
    oh, and btw, i dont say this to demotivate you at all...i just know from experience...

YOU HAVE TO QUIT SMOKING BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT CARDIO...

When you're a smoker it feels like your excercising but you're no where close to pushing your body to its limits...Trust me on this, you have to dump the smokes before you can really build your cardio.
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    I would think you'd want to go about this process one at a time. I dont' smoke, but everyone I know who tried to quit smoking has failed to maintain their weight. They always replace the cigarette with food.