Hi can you tell me if i go over my sugars is that bad

Options
and will it stop me losing weight

maybe im watching my calories too much

Replies

• cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot of fruit a few months back thinking that it was good for me no matter how much i had, but i think it may have been bad in my experience. i started to notice that i was hungrier sooner after i ate fruit, likely because it was spiking my insulin or something (not sure but i read that somewhere?). Now i try to eat only 2 servings a day and that seems to be working better to keep me from pigging out about a half hour after the fruit.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Sugar is counted as part of your carbs, as well as having its own column. I started to carefully watch the sugar amounts, as I suspected it was pushing my blood glucose too high. Turns out it wasn't connected. So now I just ignore the "sugar" column, and make sure the macronutrients are OK.

Just try to stay away from lots of raw, white sugar!
  • zurgno1
    zurgno1 Posts: 47
    Options
    yes i think ur right
  • zurgno1
    Options
    Sugar is counted as part of your carbs, as well as having its own column. I started to carefully watch the sugar amounts, as I suspected it was pushing my blood glucose too high. Turns out it wasn't connected. So now I just ignore the "sugar" column, and make sure the macronutrients are OK.

Just try to stay away from lots of raw, white sugar!

Can you explain the Macronutrients ? also do u litreally mean white granulated sugar you put in your tea ?
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    i had this question as well.. thanks for the info guys!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It depends. Is it from natural sources? The sugar from an apple comes with fiber = good sugar. If you are diabetic or pre-diabetic you should be watching your carbs. I really don't know why people watch the sugar number. Your calorie total tells you if you can afford to spend some on high sugar foods.

RE "macronutrients": usually refers to the protein, carbs, fat, etc you track. I believe he's saying as long as you meet your basic guidelines of calories, protein, carbs, fat etc. you should be fine. I track calories, protein, carbs, fat, sodium, iron and calcium. Everyone will have a different opinion here. I can probably drop sodium, iron and calcium now because I now know where my problem foods and deficiencies are.
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have been actually also wondering about sugar. I have never added sugar to anything nor do I eat anything with added sugar. Heck, I have not even had sugar in my cupboard for over 20 years :smile: I am even keeping my fruit intake to the minimum. Yet my sugar is over every single day due to carrots (I do eat a LOT) and natural yogurt. I don't know what to make of it. If anything...
  • zurgno1
    Options
    I have been actually also wondering about sugar. I have never added sugar to anything nor do I eat anything with added sugar. Heck, I have not even had sugar in my cupboard for over 20 years :smile: I am even keeping my fruit intake to the minimum. Yet my sugar is over every single day due to carrots (I do eat a LOT) and natural yogurt. I don't know what to make of it. If anything...

im in the exact same boat here , Advice needed badly , Also what columns should we have on our list ?
  • zurgno1
    Options
    bmp
  • zurgno1
    Options
    thanks
  • ihave42cats
    Options
    i usually ignore the sugars in milks cheeses fruits and vegetables. i tend to only focus on the sugars that are added to stuff, like ones found in candies, cakes, or sugary snacks. they say you shouldn't eat more than 25 grams of added sugar a day.
  • zurgno1
    Options
    i usually ignore the sugars in milks cheeses fruits and vegetables. i tend to only focus on the sugars that are added to stuff, like ones found in candies, cakes, or sugary snacks. they say you shouldn't eat more than 25 grams of added sugar a day.

Would anyone else agree with that statement ?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yeah, by macronutrients I meant track carbs, fat & protein. If your calories are under your goal, you'll be OK.

And yes - I personally don't put sugar in my tea, and try to avoid processed foods to a certain extent. Whole wheat bread instead of white, that sort of thing.
  • jcolier
    jcolier Posts: 64
    Options
    Depends how strict you are with avoiding sugar. I tend to avoid most fruits, since I've read they have been bred to have more sugar (fructose). I avoid carrots since they have more sugar than other vegetables. Again, its a matter of how strict you want to be. I'm going for fat loss, so I track it pretty close.
  • zurgno1
    Options
    Yeah, by macronutrients I meant track carbs, fat & protein. If your calories are under your goal, you'll be OK.

And yes - I personally don't put sugar in my tea, and try to avoid processed foods to a certain extent. Whole wheat bread instead of white, that sort of thing.

cool i dont take sugar at all to be honest so its only in what i eat