cottage cheese

aerobicgirl
aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
so my new favorite snack is cottage cheese and bear naked fit granola/ so i eat it for a lunch snack then post workout (just for protein) im not big on protein shakes. any new ideas with cottage cheese?

Replies

• I love it with salt and pepper on it. Sounds weird, I know, but it's delicious!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I've always loved full-fat cottage cheese but disliked the fat free or even low fat stuff. However, I just realized that if I add a bit of something sweet to it, I like it! I started by adding a bit of fruit preserves but now I typically just add blueberries. Yum.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Mix with frozen berries with a little milk and a tsp honey, blend until smooth, yummy berry ice cream.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I love it with salt and pepper on it. Sounds weird, I know, but it's delicious!

Ooo! I've done that too! It is good.
  • I recently started mixing either a serving of low fat or fat free cottage cheese with a single serving of low fat flavored yogurt. My favorite right now is fat free cottage cheese with Activia Light blueberry, toss in a few frozen blueberries and it is a wonderful sweet treat. There is something about the texture that is really satisfying for me instead of just the two eaten by themselves.

Nicole
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    I like it with some dill or garam marsala sprinkled on top.
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Mix with frozen berries with a little milk and a tsp honey, blend until smooth, yummy berry ice cream.

I'm totally going to try that!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I recently started mixing either a serving of low fat or fat free cottage cheese with a single serving of low fat flavored yogurt. My favorite right now is fat free cottage cheese with Activia Light blueberry, toss in a few frozen blueberries and it is a wonderful sweet treat. There is something about the texture that is really satisfying for me instead of just the two eaten by themselves.

Nicole

I do this too, it tastes almost like berry cheese cake.
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    I've also always eaten it with salt & pepper, never with anything sweet. I also mix things into it, like chopped tomatoes, green onions and herbs and use it as a veggie or cracker dip.
  • morzan
    morzan Posts: 4 Member
    I Add in milk and sour cream with green onion and a bit of hot sauce haha
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    MMMM....all great suggestions. I'm having it with strawberries & a bit of cerel on top right now (& a drop or 2 of honey for the sweet)! Yummy!
  • nikbrown
    nikbrown Posts: 7 Member
    I've always just put Pepper on it. But my wife is of Indian heritage and I learned to love Raita from her (plane yogurt with cucumber, onion, salt, and paper).

So I have sometimes taken to putting diced cucumber, pepper, and salt in my cottage cheese... really good.
  • try adding 1 Tbs Naturally More Peanut Butter & sliced or mashed banana - yum! i sometimes add 1/4 c. chocolate whey protein powder as well!
  • SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    If I'm in the mood for salty/spicy I like to add green onions and hot sauce. If I'm in the mood for sweet I add yogurt and frozen berries. Both are delicious!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Cottage cheese is a staple for me. I use Friendship 1% whipped cottage cheese, which has a ricotta like texture instead of curds (which is gross IMO).

One awesome treat is take a cup of whipped cottage cheese and 2 small cups of jello sugar free (the prepared cups). Use an emersion blender or magic bullet and whip it all together, then put back in fridge to re-gel. It is like the creamy jello molds they sell at the grocery store only really healthy! We call it "fluff".

Any kind of fruit warmed up (think apples or peaches) with a scoop of cottage cheese is delicious! I like to sweeten with one packet of Splenda.

Also if you put Splenda and cinnamon on it and warm in the microwave, it is like a warm cinnamon bun! Yum!
  • mrsgiffin
    mrsgiffin Posts: 122
    BUMP!!

301739.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    wow great suggestions ill have to try one for snack and one different one post workout/ cottage cheese just keeps me away from ice cream and sweets. and im the type of person that likes something sweet after her meal.
  • Gidget86
    Gidget86 Posts: 45
    OK this might sound weird but it works for me.
    I put my cottage cheese in a blender and add ranch dressing mix.
    Blend it up and you have fat free ranch to dip my vegies in.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    I have the same morning snack;

1.5 cups 1% or 2% cottage cheese
    1 Fat Free fruit yogurt
    1 All Bran Buds Single pouch

Mix together. Great source of protein, Vit D, fiber, and potassium.

Total 270 calories, 42g carbs, 31g protein, 3g fat, 11g fiber.
  • peckskid
    peckskid Posts: 1
    Try putting 1 1/2 cups fat free cottage cheese, drained, and 1 tsp. lemon juice in a blender and blend until smooth. Then add 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans, 1/3 cup drained crushed pineapple, and 1/3 cup raisins. If you like it sweet, add two packets of Splenda. Eat this as a snack on low fat graham crackers. I'm not real sure, but I think 1/2 cup is 162 calories. I think it's good stuff!
This discussion has been closed.