Pumpkin Pie..Healthy or Not?

Options
Do you think its healthier then a slice of cake and has more nutrients..or no? Thoughts?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Its probably in the same ball park, but I'm never going to refuse a yummy piece of pumpkin pie with lots of cool wh-hip.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Some says its more on the not so healthy side..and then I feel guilty eating it.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    pumpkin pie and carrot cake for example, ( with frosting) have the same amount of calories , sugar , carbs, ect.... it is JUST as bad as a piece of cake. not to say you shouldnt have a slice on Turkey day, but do not kid yourself at all in thinking it is healthy. and if you want healthy on Turkey day, eat an apple ... ( not pie ) lol . that being said, its a holiday, so enjoy your day! :drinker:
  • JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Since it was brought up and I love pumpkin pie I have found two recipes for protein shakes that taste just as good and are better for you:

First:
    1/4 tsp pumpkin spice
    1 scoop chocolate protein mix (any flavor I suppose will work)
    1 cup almond milk

Second:
    1/2 cup pumpkin pie fill
    1 scoop chocolate protein mix (any flavor I suppose will work)
    1 cup almond milk
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp cinnamon

I would also say add the nutmeg/cinnamon/pumpkin spice to taste. I use a little more of some and less of another depending on the day.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I suppose it depends, like anything else.

Did you make it? Did you use the highly processed Pumpkin Pie filling?

If it is pumpkin with spices, I don't see why that in itsself would be unhealthy, it's when you start adding to it. Whipped cream, pie crust, yadda yadda.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    You can enjoy foods that you like (as long as they're not too high in trans fats and sodium), as long as by the end of the day you meet your macro nutrient needs (carbs, fats, protein) and achieve your overall calorie intake goal.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'll have a piece of both please, but not every day. Neither are "health food" but won't make any difference to a healthy person who watching what they eat as long as they don't over do it.

I'll take my pie with coffee in the morning and cake later please.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    No..its something picked up at a food drive or store..its already made.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends, like anything else.

Did you make it? Did you use the highly processed Pumpkin Pie filling?

If it is pumpkin with spices, I don't see why that in itsself would be unhealthy, it's when you start adding to it. Whipped cream, pie crust, yadda yadda.

Exactly. Nothing with all that sugar is going to be 'healthy' by any stretch, but it's probably healthier than other choices in the way that it's got a vegetable in it. Not much healthier though.
  • phillips0911
    Options
    I make pumpkin pie with organic pumpkin, flaxseed, and all sorts of healthy stuff. BUT it still has calories and they aren't all the good kind. It still qualifies as a dessert and I limit myself to one slice here and there. :)
  • hitstuff
    hitstuff Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I add pumpkin pie spice, extra cinnamon, and some sweetener to canned pumpkin, zap it in the microwave and top with some vanilla almond milk...A nice pumpkiny pudding!
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    No..its something picked up at a food drive or store..its already made.

I think that there are a lot of factors to this. It depends on the cake and the pie. By no means do I think Pumpkin Pie or cake is "healthy." But to determine which one is more "healthy" than the other, you would need to define "healthy." As many people have said, you can compare the nutritional aspects like calories, carbs, fat, ect to each other per serving size and determine which one is better that way. Personally, I'd eat what I want at the time. If it’s Fall/Thanksgiving, then I'm probably going to go for the pie ;)
  • ihavehope4me
    Options
    There is a Weight Watcher pumpkin pudding that is delicious.

one small package of fat free and sugar free vanilla or butterscotch instant pudding (whichever you prefer)
    2 cups skim or 1 percent milk
    1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 can of pumpkin (plain - no spices or pie filling) -- I purchased Great Value (Walmart) kind and it was cheap - less than $2.00

This recipe was really good - really inexpensive - less than $3.00 -- but then again I had milk and pumpkin pie spice at home. All you have to do is mix all the ingredients and refrigerate.

Only 2 points on Weight Watchers and very good ;)
  • hitstuff
    hitstuff Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There is a Weight Watcher pumpkin pudding that is delicious.

one small package of fat free and sugar free vanilla or butterscotch instant pudding (whichever you prefer)
    2 cups skim or 1 percent milk
    1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 can of pumpkin (plain - no spices or pie filling) -- I purchased Great Value (Walmart) kind and it was cheap - less than $2.00

This recipe was really good - really inexpensive - less than $3.00 -- but then again I had milk and pumpkin pie spice at home. All you have to do is mix all the ingredients and refrigerate.

Only 2 points on Weight Watchers and very good ;)

OOH YES....guess what I'm making today!! Thanks for the tweak on my original pumpkiny pudding thingy!! <3