Kids say the darndest things....

Options
Here is my store and my sad to me realization that I was putting on WAY too much weight. I have a 5 year old daughter. She is a very good kid, and I'm 100% she had no idea how hurtful her words were to me. I'm sure she felt it was just a regular statement.

I was standing in the door way that goes from my garage to the house. I'm not sure why I stopped, but I did. My daughter comes up beside me and proceeds to PUSH me through the threshold. Confused, I asked her what prompted her to do such a thing. She then stated, "because you're fat, and I thought you got stuck."

Has anyone had their kids say things without realizing it, and cause you to stop, think and get motivated?

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    ha ha........kids don't lie. Love it.
  • Lantzbug
    Options
    ha ha........kids don't lie. Love it.

They sure don't. That's why it got me thinking. I know it wasn't malicious. I needed to hear it.
  • pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i used to babysit for a 8year old boy who used to call me fat all the time. specifically he said that I had a ''fat *kitten*'' as he put it. What made it worse was I am only 115lbs but it still upset me.
  • aairs1
    aairs1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I once had my 5 year old niece ask me if I had a baby in my stomach. I was not pregnant. It made me realize I needed to do something.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    My nephew told me I was fat. Now he says I have a small belly lol.
  • moounir
    moounir Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For me it's my son who is 2 years old who said to me that i have a big belly and small boobs like my wife. This is a real flash who makes you think of it. It was not said maliciously and it was sweet but for me this was not funny.
  • Lantzbug
    Options
    I forgot another one that she said the other day. Daddy has been telling her not to say mean things to me, which like I said, she didn't realize it was mean.
    She had made a comment about growing up and being a skinny mommy. I said well you could grow up and be built like me. She pondered for a while and was trying so hard not to say anything about my weight and what came out was....
    "Listen Mommy, I'm sorry you're fat, but..."
    lol
  • sophiemama
    sophiemama Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've had little ones ask if I had a baby in my belly :/ nope not for the last two years sadly! uggghh kids will put things in perspective that's for sure
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I guess as a kid I had a list of things that made my parents want to run and hide. Some of the ones I said under the age of 4 include:

To a woman: "Wow, you have big pores. They look like worms ate their way through your face! :smile: "

To my mom's boss who was french: "Oh! You're the French __hole of a boss that mom told me about! You don't seem like a ___hole. Maybe it's just cause you're a boss that you're an ___hole"

To one of my parents friend's who was told she had a cute laugh: "Oh I get it! She has a cute laugh because it sounds like a goose honking and gooses (not geese, I was 4) are cute! But mom said they were really nasty too. Is she nasty too?"

To my overweight neighbor's son: "I like your dad. He's too big to be good at hide and seek. I can always see him sticking out of places and it makes me a really good seeker.