Trainer or NOT?!?!?

Options
Okay ya'll i really need your input. Meet with the trainer and have three options. Option number 1. See the trainer twice a month for 80 a month. option 2. Three times a month for 105 a month. Option 3 four times a month for 120. I can pick any and change at any time. I only pay 23 a month for the gym. I will still have to have my membership. How important is it to have a trainer? Should i do it...really need ya'll input!

They want you to do a 12 month agreement but says they can work around it.

I don't know if I should do this or not. The cheapest option is over 900 for the year. My gym also offers free training where they will give you a work out plan and they also have classes you can go to where they work your arms, leg, abs and such!

Could really use some advice on this....

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    My opinion? Use the trainer to teach you a routine and then do it yourself. So, I'd hire one for a month for the 120..then just do your gym membership after that.
  • Losing2Live1989
    Losing2Live1989 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Not sure if they will let me...they want to do a whole year.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    By me, most places you can pay per session. Most places will have introductory packages where the whole point is to teach you and get you set up doing proper form and all. Then you can schedule additional sessions to checkin as needed.

Do not sign up for any long term contract with any trainer before committing to a shorter term first. If they are awe full you may not be able to cancel or get your money back.
  • Losing2Live1989
    Options
    I'm leaning more on the side of using the free trainer at the gym and give that a try first!
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'm leaning more on the side of using the free trainer at the gym and give that a try first!

:bigsmile: Best option, in my opinion.
  • Losing2Live1989
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :)
  • kraz4fun
    kraz4fun Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Typically the gym only wants your membership for the 1 year and the PT is separate so I'd verify that. I lost 60 lbs mainly doing cardio on my own and then hit a plateau. I hired a personal trainer for 20 sessions. I have been meeting her 2x week. She teaches me a lot of things I never would have tried on my own. We never do weight machines so I feel like I'm getting my values worth. We lift free weights and circuit train but that's what I requested. I lost 9 lbs my first month. That's the difference from fat loss and muscle gain. It's a great thing. I think after my 20 sessions are over I'll meet her once a month just for new ideas. My trainer also offered to give me a copy of all of our workout sessions with weights and progress for me to work off of. Personal trainers are there to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle and keep it up. Their focus should not be the money or the contract. If that's how you feel then I would suggest finding a different gym. Good luck either way!
  • surfmonkey17
    surfmonkey17 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

They want you to do a 12 month agreement but says they can work around it.

What does "work around it" mean? I would not sign a 12-month agreement for a trainer. Personally, if you are just looking to learn the machines and get started on a routine, I would do the free option to start and go from there. When I have used a trainer in the past, I never had to sign an agreement. I just paid as I go. I would see them every other week to do an assessment (measurements, body fat, weight, etc.) and then alter my workout plan for the next 2 weeks to change it up and add different moves for variety. For me that was enough. I did the first workout with the trainer so they could go over proper form and then I worked out the rest of the 2 weeks on my own, although my trainer would still check in with me when he saw me in the gym and chat with me and offer assistance if needed.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    My opinion? Use the trainer to teach you a routine and then do it yourself. So, I'd hire one for a month for the 120..then just do your gym membership after that.

I like this idea!
  • Losing2Live1989
    Options
    They want a year agreement but said they can work around it. Not sure what that means. And it will cost me to pay them on top of my gym membership. Gonna try the free trainer and personal workout plan through my gym and give it my all and see how that goes. I would love to be able to do it without losing all that money to a trainer that I don't have.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Don't sign any contract based on what someone tells you UNLESS it's the manager and s/he is willing to write in "their idea" of working it out. If it is a chain, ask for the district manager to also sign it in your presence. Date and print signature and sign name. Also gave a witness there to sign it and get everyone's personal vontact number. Don't trust verbal agreements. People tend to forget what they say and contracts are binding.

Free trainer is a good idea. No one wants to lose money, especially for 12 months. Good luck.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've had some great trainers and some not so great trainers, and only one AMAZING trainer (who sadly isn't training anyone at the moment) so before you sign up for anything make sure they prove themselves worthy of your money!