Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

cottage cheese

aerobicgirl
aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
so my new favorite snack is cottage cheese and bear naked fit granola/ so i eat it for a lunch snack then post workout (just for protein) im not big on protein shakes. any new ideas with cottage cheese?

Replies

• I love it with salt and pepper on it. Sounds weird, I know, but it's delicious!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I've always loved full-fat cottage cheese but disliked the fat free or even low fat stuff. However, I just realized that if I add a bit of something sweet to it, I like it! I started by adding a bit of fruit preserves but now I typically just add blueberries. Yum.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Mix with frozen berries with a little milk and a tsp honey, blend until smooth, yummy berry ice cream.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I love it with salt and pepper on it. Sounds weird, I know, but it's delicious!

Ooo! I've done that too! It is good.
  • I recently started mixing either a serving of low fat or fat free cottage cheese with a single serving of low fat flavored yogurt. My favorite right now is fat free cottage cheese with Activia Light blueberry, toss in a few frozen blueberries and it is a wonderful sweet treat. There is something about the texture that is really satisfying for me instead of just the two eaten by themselves.

Nicole
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    I like it with some dill or garam marsala sprinkled on top.
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Mix with frozen berries with a little milk and a tsp honey, blend until smooth, yummy berry ice cream.

I'm totally going to try that!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I recently started mixing either a serving of low fat or fat free cottage cheese with a single serving of low fat flavored yogurt. My favorite right now is fat free cottage cheese with Activia Light blueberry, toss in a few frozen blueberries and it is a wonderful sweet treat. There is something about the texture that is really satisfying for me instead of just the two eaten by themselves.

Nicole

I do this too, it tastes almost like berry cheese cake.
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    I've also always eaten it with salt & pepper, never with anything sweet. I also mix things into it, like chopped tomatoes, green onions and herbs and use it as a veggie or cracker dip.
  • morzan
    morzan Posts: 4 Member
    I Add in milk and sour cream with green onion and a bit of hot sauce haha
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    MMMM....all great suggestions. I'm having it with strawberries & a bit of cerel on top right now (& a drop or 2 of honey for the sweet)! Yummy!
  • nikbrown
    nikbrown Posts: 7 Member
    I've always just put Pepper on it. But my wife is of Indian heritage and I learned to love Raita from her (plane yogurt with cucumber, onion, salt, and paper).

So I have sometimes taken to putting diced cucumber, pepper, and salt in my cottage cheese... really good.
  • try adding 1 Tbs Naturally More Peanut Butter & sliced or mashed banana - yum! i sometimes add 1/4 c. chocolate whey protein powder as well!
  • SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    If I'm in the mood for salty/spicy I like to add green onions and hot sauce. If I'm in the mood for sweet I add yogurt and frozen berries. Both are delicious!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Cottage cheese is a staple for me. I use Friendship 1% whipped cottage cheese, which has a ricotta like texture instead of curds (which is gross IMO).

One awesome treat is take a cup of whipped cottage cheese and 2 small cups of jello sugar free (the prepared cups). Use an emersion blender or magic bullet and whip it all together, then put back in fridge to re-gel. It is like the creamy jello molds they sell at the grocery store only really healthy! We call it "fluff".

Any kind of fruit warmed up (think apples or peaches) with a scoop of cottage cheese is delicious! I like to sweeten with one packet of Splenda.

Also if you put Splenda and cinnamon on it and warm in the microwave, it is like a warm cinnamon bun! Yum!
  • mrsgiffin
    mrsgiffin Posts: 122
    BUMP!!

301739.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    wow great suggestions ill have to try one for snack and one different one post workout/ cottage cheese just keeps me away from ice cream and sweets. and im the type of person that likes something sweet after her meal.
  • Gidget86
    Gidget86 Posts: 45
    OK this might sound weird but it works for me.
    I put my cottage cheese in a blender and add ranch dressing mix.
    Blend it up and you have fat free ranch to dip my vegies in.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    I have the same morning snack;

1.5 cups 1% or 2% cottage cheese
    1 Fat Free fruit yogurt
    1 All Bran Buds Single pouch

Mix together. Great source of protein, Vit D, fiber, and potassium.

Total 270 calories, 42g carbs, 31g protein, 3g fat, 11g fiber.
  • peckskid
    peckskid Posts: 1
    Try putting 1 1/2 cups fat free cottage cheese, drained, and 1 tsp. lemon juice in a blender and blend until smooth. Then add 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans, 1/3 cup drained crushed pineapple, and 1/3 cup raisins. If you like it sweet, add two packets of Splenda. Eat this as a snack on low fat graham crackers. I'm not real sure, but I think 1/2 cup is 162 calories. I think it's good stuff!
This discussion has been closed.