Why or why can't I kick it!?

Options
Why, oh why can't I kick it in NOT eating out so much and HEALTHY & PREP FOOD!

I've even bargained and told myself that it's okay as long as it's just once or twice a month. Still my husband and I end up going 2+ times per week, minimum.

It's not that satisfying, I don't have cravings for it. It's just so fast and convenient, and there's no clean up afterwards. It's a habit. I just can't shake it.

Do any of you have any advice on this subject?

I know I should make food ahead of time, so I have something when I'm hungry.
I know fast-food is really really unhealthy for me and you never know what's in it or what poor animals suffered for it.
I even know that I could choose healthier options once I'm at the restaurant.

I might do all those things, for a few days, but I always fall off the wagon.It's like I'm addicted to fast food & JUNK FOOD and I don't know how to stop!
:noway:

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

I've even bargained and told myself that it's okay as long as it's just once or twice a month. Still my husband and I end up going 2+ times per week, minimum.

It's not that satisfying, I don't have cravings for it. It's just so fast and convenient, and there's no clean up afterwards. It's a habit. I just can't shake it.

I know fast-food is really really unhealthy for me and you never know what's in it or what poor animals suffered for it.

I might do all those things, for a few days, but I always fall off the wagon.It's like I'm addicted to fast food & JUNK FOOD and I don't know how to stop!

Nope. Don't want that third strike.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You can do what I do... be so damn poor that you can't afford to go out to eat unless you have a BOGO coupon. :grumble:

But otherwise, plan ahead. Decide what you're going to make for dinner and log it in your food diary. Plan out a week in advance if you have to.

Some meals you can start in the crock pot before you go to work, and come home to the house smelling amazing and dinner almost ready to eat.

But it really just comes down to determination. When you want to eat healthier bad enough, you'll stop making excuses. Heck, it's not in my natural instinct to exercise 6 days a week. But I do it, because that's what I need to do to get the results I want.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    This NOT an attack!!
    I repeat This IS NOT an attack.

You must make up your mind and stick to it.
    Stop being lazy and get motivated!!!:flowerforyou:
    Plan your meals etc.
    The way you describe yourself is what got you here.
    Now change that routine!
  • aussiemegs82
    Options
    By your own admission, you know what you need to do. I guess, to put it simply, you need to just do it. Making changes is never easy, no one promised it would be. It comes down to this...would you rather eat out or be fit? If you are still eating out and not making the changes you know you should then you just don't want it enough. I know that sounds rough, but it's what was said to me and its true. Just do it. Stick to the deal you set with yourself, choose healthier options and start putting in your body what it deserves. What you did yesterday does not have to be what you do today. Best of luck. xx
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    goddamnnn
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options

um just stop... :: I use to go out to eat 100% of the time, I always went out for lunch and grabbed fast food for dinner and breakfast.... now I get mad if I have to eat fast food once a month! make a menu and go grocery shopping...

I have a really strict budget: bills, gas, cigarettes, and groceries.... I pay all my bills the day I get paid, and go grocery shopping the day i get paid or a day later depending on when i got paid and there is never enough money after all that to also go out to dinner..... if you want to stop eating it... stop eating it... after about a month of me NOT eating it I can't stand the food anymore....
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I've always heard you gotta lick it, before you kick it.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Bluntly put....

You have to choose to change. Until you do, you only prove that you dont want to
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You either want it bad enough to do what you have to or you don't. It's really that simple.
  • roguestates
    Options
    If you genuinely have a food addiction problem, I would see a professional about it. You know exactly what you should be doing, but you have to really want to do it. Maybe seeing someone will help you identify your barriers or mental obstacles. I don't know your household arrangements, but get your husband to cook?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My advice, give up!

Wait until you really want to do it!

You can get advice till you are blue in the face, but you are not going to go with it until you reach a point (you and hubby) that you really want to do something about it.

And the strange thing is it is not so hard to do once you put your mind to it.
  • gracesway
    gracesway Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I so understand where you are coming from. Food is an addiction... and its tricky because you can live with out cocaine, alcohol or nicotine, but you can not live without food. It is not as simple as "just doing it". . . but the good news is that once all those carbs and salty fatty goodness are out of your system, it is easier to resist.

In place of limiting my times I ate out, I limited the items I can order. No value meals. Only small frys. No cheese, no mayo. No fried chicken. Maybe you start with a few restrictions, and then add more. Bonus points if I get a salad. I only eat fast food once or twice a month now... and I do it without thinking.

This is a real challenge, good luck!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Think of something you really want and resolve to save your "eating out" money for it.
    For me, another dinner out wouldn't be worth giving up a coming trip to Cancun.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I HATE to cook and detest cleaning up. True story.

Haven't been in a fast food restaurant (or worse - drive-thru) in, um.... wow, I can't remember. I buy easy to make stuff, stuff that I can nuke quickly, lots of bagged salad, tons of cottage cheese. Perdue Short-Cuts Chicken has been a life saver! The fact that I found out that I LOVE Ultimate Veggie Burgers has been a dream come true! Fruits, raw veggies (no cooking, little clean up) - easy! Yes, it takes some planning - I pack my lunch every evening so I have it ready to go - but if you find a few go-to meals, that would be a huge step!

Look, I get you - it's a really difficult habit to break. And laziness is our burden to bear - makes everything harder. You have to want this new lifestyle more than you want that next super sized double cheeseburger meal. And you have to be willing to make small changes - then make more small changes - then even more small changes... until you're sitting at your desk wondering when the last time was that you hit a drive-thru.

Good luck!
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Don't bring junk into the house. Make it inconvenent to eat crap and garbage.

Re eating out: Is it really that fast? By the time you find your car keys, lock the trash so the dog doesn't get in it, get in the car, run back to make sure you locked the door, fight the traffic, sit in the lobby waiting for an empty table, waiting for someone to bring you a menu, wait to get drinks and then place your order, wait for the food to get there...is it REALLY faster? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to eat out. Hubs and I were just laughing at this today and how we used to eat out 3-4-5 times a week. I think it's mostly an acquired taste for high fat and lots of sugar, mostly, at least it was for us.

FWIW, if you can just get on a good plan and stick to it for 2-3 weeks, I bet you will find that your palate changes and the drive thru or other restaurant food doesn't taste nearly as good.

We went from Feb. until mid-June a couple of years ago with zero meals away from home. Hubs wanted to drive thru fast food for a Fathers' Day treat. We both fealt nauseated after, even with just an average size meal. It was soooo greasy and soooo salty and no texture. YUCK! I've only been back on a plan for about 5 weeks now, but it's already starting to get like that again.

We have a plan for eating at Red Robin on an out of town business trip in a couple of weeks, just a treat meal, and it sounds really good. Not sure it will taste all that great on the day, though.

Good luck...maybe you can try bit by bit??? Have certain set days and only eat out on that schedule? And reward yourselves with something else you really like doing together instead?

Barb
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I read the title as Why can't I lick it?, so I came in here...hoping for something awesome...and was highly disappointed in this thread....

:brokenheart:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It's just so fast and convenient, and there's no clean up afterwards. It's a habit. I just can't shake it.

This is why I fall into the fast food trap on a regular basis. The only advice I have is try crock pot cooking if you haven't. It's also fast and convenient in its own strange way (well compared to most cooking) and you can buy these plastic liner bags that go in the pot and make it so you don't even have to really clean up afterward if you're really desperate to avoid rinsing the thing out.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    My advice, give up!

Wait until you really want to do it!

You can get advice till you are blue in the face, but you are not going to go with it until you reach a point (you and hubby) that you really want to do something about it.

And the strange thing is it is not so hard to do once you put your mind to it.

I'm with twink. (um... but not in THAT way)

You'll do it when you're ready to do it. You're obviously just not ready yet.

Alternately, make a rule - eat at home or not at all, or acknowledge that eating at home 71% of the time - hey - that's a C & everybody knows that Cs get degrees!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    No one makes you go out to eat. Going out to eat turns me off because I don't know the source of the food and I don't know what is added when they prepare the meal (I like to be able to choose what I will and will not eat). I also don't know if the food has been handled safely.

Anyway, if nothing else works, you can move to a community way up in the Arctic; just be sure to pick one that has no restaurant of any kind (because many do, even if the food sucks). The community that I live in has no restaurant; I'm sure that you could kick your "eating out addiction" here. Or you'd get really, really hungry. :wink:
  • dare2begin
    dare2begin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Life is a choice!

Choose to be the best you can be!

I really like the one post that said to figure out something to save for and put your money towards that instead!!

Or, go to the fast food place and order the most healthy item on the menu and even if you don't like it....that should cure ya!!

Life is a choice....make the best one for yourself today!