I need help

Options
I have always had issues with food and bingeing....it has been the cause of so much anxiety for me all my life, and I thought I was starting to gain the upper hand, then last week it just went all down hill. I just dont know what to do anymore. I try and try to not let myself binge, and then boom, I'm in the middle of a binge before I can even stop myself. Does anyone else deal with this? I guess I just need to know that I am not alone and that I will eventually get over it. I am feeling really down in the dumps about it today, which worries me because thats generally when I will binge the most, when I am stressed or upset about soething. I made sure that I brought a super healthy lunch today to work, and only enough money for my coffee and parking, so I could avoid the temptation of the food court downstairs. So I know I am good until 4. But what about after that? I really feel helpless about it all. I tried talking to my SO about it, but he just doesnt get it, he has never had food issues before, so he thinks its just as simple as saying "STOP, I am not doing it" but its not. It really is like my body takes over and even as my brain is screaming NO, iut doesnt listen.

Replies

• skroll
    skroll Posts: 24
    Options
    You are not alone my friend. Just try not to allow yourself a little so you don't get setup for a big binge. Next so you did go off and on a binge now all you can do is pick yourself up and move on. I wish you luck.
  • tanyewest
    tanyewest Posts: 113
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Don't deprive yourself of all the things you desire like cakes chocolate, crisps (everything that is bad for us basically) The more you tell your body you aren't allowed it, the more your body will crave it and eventually binge on it till your going to burst! It's the same concept as a child being told not to do something, they will more often than not, do exactly what your telling them not to.

Just cut down week by week. Say to yourself that your going to eat well 5 days a week (still hate treats, but healthy treats, try a Special K bar, only 90 cals and they are delicious!)

Then treat yourself with a slice of cake or something at the weekend. You will soon notice the difference both emotionally and physically upon yourself!

Hope my advice worked.
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues. Binging is extremely easy for me and it's like I go into auto pilot and don't even realize what I am doing until it's too late. Over the years it has decreased some, but I still struggle with it especially when I'm emotional or stressed. The week before my period is usually the worst. I read a quote that helps me sometimes and I'll share it with you - Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels. On days that I'm successful after a struggle it's usually because I tell myself that over and over again. I also try to think rationally while I'm binging and sometimes I'm able to spit out the food and win. You are definitely not alone. I think by having a plan in place and distracting yourself is the only way to win. Think through the problem and be aware of what you are doing. I've come a long way from when I've started and I hope to eventually win overall. Good luck!
  • amoreco
    amoreco Posts: 7
    Options
    I find a good friend and together we workout and talk. Help me a lot..
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi. What helps me with the "after work" munchies is to get out there and get some exercise. If I work really hard (and sweat!) at burning calories, then I'm less tempted by snacks. Basically, I don't want to ruin all that hard work! If you have to snack, try drinking a big glass of water first, then see if you are still snacky. It also helps to have something like strawberries or blueberries and ff cool whip on hand to fill in for the other high-calorie treats. If nothing else works, the goal should be moderation instead of eating the whole box of cookies! My weakness is ice cream, and I treat myself to a "kid size" container of blue bell or skinny cow treats every once in a while. They are satisfying and relatively low cal. Hang in there, and keep trying!!!
  • sandeedoughton
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you are feeling! I have done this since highschool. It feels impossible to overcome when you are in the middle of it, but it's not. I agree with another persons response- you've got to have a plan in place for when those times come. bringing only a certain amount of money is a great idea. When my kids lay down for their nap is my weak time and I have a friend who texts me @ that time to check on me and I try to stay busy. Having a quote is another great idea. I say, "Not today!" maybe tomorrow I will have a binge, but today i am going to be strong. I'm so sorry you have this struggle. But I think with all the great support on this site, we can all do it!
  • Chewy89
    Chewy89 Posts: 1
    Options
    ive dealt with this a good deal for most of my life it doesnt bother me as much as it probably should, but i notce that it happens after it be certain events, in your case its caused when your worryed or stressed, i do the same thing and a good deal of people also will do the same thing when they are stressed or worryed, its most likey just an association we have made (probably in early childhood) that when we are worryed or stressed we eat because it brings some kind of comfort. even though we counciusly think to our self no i souldnt do this or no i dont want to do this we just cant seem to stop. The best advice i could probably give, and this has reduced my urge to just binge when i get the chance, is when the trigger event happens is to do something else to replace food as my primary relief. For what I am tryign to say in short is, 1. identify your triggers that make you binge, 2. try to reduce exposure to triggers if possable, 3. when triggers do appear do something in place of just going to kitchen, fast food, ect..., and if all else fails enlist the help of someone else to help you from going overboard. (metaphoricly) If you can manage to break the association we have had established for most of our lives it sould help if not get rid of the bingeing episodes. I hope this has been atleast a little helpfull (sorry for any grammer and spelling mistakes)
  • DG82
    DG82 Posts: 105
    Options
    I am an emotional eater as well so I can totally relate. Ove the past year + I have just been pretty much stuffing my face w/anything to mask any sadness, loneliness (ugh been single for yearrrrs now so that doesn't help!), even boredom. Now, however for a little over two weeks I have begun to really track what I'm eating and when, etc. via MFP. I am trying to be more conscious of WHY I'm eating... am I hungry? sad? bored? (even happy?!)... I have also begun to use exercise as another outlet, instead of sitting down w/some fatty treats that won't do anything good for my figure I use some bike time to get my mind off of everything and just de-stress after I get home and have dinner. I am making a true effort to workout on a consistent basis (and not just for 5 mins, lol). I turn up the ipod (LOVE music ~ always helps get me in a better mood!) and just jam it out to my tunes. So, whatever works best for you as a distraction (dancing, bike, running, walking, etc...) anything that will get you up and moving, be active and steer clear of those treats that will only be a few mins of "joy." Think of your end goal in mind (bikini season is coming soon enough right?!). You will be so much happier, and more motivated each time you push yourself to go a little farther! I wish you well on this journey, hope my words help a bit. If anything, I feel writing out what you're feeling, etc. always helps to be a release as well and I feel that this site is great for venting and getting support (we're all here for the same reason!). Good luck!! :-)
  • namaste
    namaste Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I struggle with the same issues. Something that helps me that hopefully will help you is to keep yourself occupied. Go out tonight... go run errands, go to an indoor rock climbing gym, get together with a friend or two for a little shopping... find something fun that you enjoy that doesn't center around food. Sure, you need to eat dinner, but don't make it the center of the evening. Or if you're stuck at home, work out. Anything you can do to get yourself moving before dinner. Do a yoga DVD, vacuum the floor, walk the dog, clean the kitchen. This way your brain will be distracted for a bit before dinner, & you'll burn calories as a bonus. I've noticed that with a regular yoga practice, I've become more mindful of my eating, as well as better able to listen to my body for what & how much it needs. It's helped a lot!

I wish you peace, happiness, & success, one day at a time.

Namaste'
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support. Thats what I like most about this place. A few of you mentioned about having a friend to chat with or text when the urge hits, and I think thats a great idea, but thats also one of my biggest triggers. I dont realy have any close friends who would be willing to do either of those things for me anymore.....Somehow life got in the way, and now its just me. It sucks, and I think thats what is causing the issues this past week. I do have maybe 2 friends that might consider it, but knowing how busy their own lives are and things they are dealing with, I cant really burden them with my issues too. I will figure it out I guess......I have been dealing with this since I was 15, so its not something new. I just wish there was some magic pill or soemthing that I could take when I feel it coming.

I really like the "quotes" suggestions. I am really falling in love with yoga and meditation, so having a mantra to focus on when I feel like bingeing makes alot of sense to me. What are some good ones?
  • AlynnP1005
    Options
    I feel your pain. I struggle with the same issues. Something that helps me that hopefully will help you is to keep yourself occupied. Go out tonight... go run errands, go to an indoor rock climbing gym, get together with a friend or two for a little shopping... find something fun that you enjoy that doesn't center around food. Sure, you need to eat dinner, but don't make it the center of the evening. Or if you're stuck at home, work out. Anything you can do to get yourself moving before dinner. Do a yoga DVD, vacuum the floor, walk the dog, clean the kitchen. This way your brain will be distracted for a bit before dinner, & you'll burn calories as a bonus. I've noticed that with a regular yoga practice, I've become more mindful of my eating, as well as better able to listen to my body for what & how much it needs. It's helped a lot!

I wish you peace, happiness, & success, one day at a time.

Namaste'

I have been struggling to get a regular yoga practice going, and I do find that things are easier on days when I practice.....I am going to work this week on getting a routine down.

PS I love your pic!
  • katattack
    katattack Posts: 45
    Options
    I have always had issues with food and bingeing....it has been the cause of so much anxiety for me all my life, and I thought I was starting to gain the upper hand, then last week it just went all down hill. I just dont know what to do anymore. I try and try to not let myself binge, and then boom, I'm in the middle of a binge before I can even stop myself. Does anyone else deal with this? I guess I just need to know that I am not alone and that I will eventually get over it. I am feeling really down in the dumps about it today, which worries me because thats generally when I will binge the most, when I am stressed or upset about soething. I made sure that I brought a super healthy lunch today to work, and only enough money for my coffee and parking, so I could avoid the temptation of the food court downstairs. So I know I am good until 4. But what about after that? I really feel helpless about it all. I tried talking to my SO about it, but he just doesnt get it, he has never had food issues before, so he thinks its just as simple as saying "STOP, I am not doing it" but its not. It really is like my body takes over and even as my brain is screaming NO, iut doesnt listen.

Hi hi! I'm going to share a link with you for your consideration. Binge eating is something that a lot of people struggle with, but when it is uncontrollable, causes you pain, or has become a sort of defense mechanism, it is actually categorized as a clinical eating disorder: http://www.nedic.ca/knowthefacts/foodweight.shtml

I don't know you and know this may not be the case, but if it IS the case - as it is for many many women and men - then it can be solved by delving into the root of those impulses, and finding ways to reroute those fears/anxieties/self-doubt. So again, I hope you don't find this offensive by any means! I speak from personal experience, and this has just been a recent theme in my own life.

Either way, totally something you can overcome, just dig in! Pull out a pen and paper, and be tough with yourself! What is it that's causing you to inflict this sort of damage on yourself? (<-rhetorical ;P) Of course, there are tons of resources out there to help you along the way.

ALL THE BEST!
    - Kat
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 28 and have had a bingeing disorder for as long as I can remember. I've learned over the years that people who don't have this problem (or another similar problem like a drug addiction) just have no clue as to what we go through. It is a feeling of being so totally out of control and if just saying "no" was an option, we'd have done that already. I'm sure your SO means well, but he just doesn't understand because he has no idea what it is like. Please feel free to add me as a friend and hopefully we can help each other get through this. Diane from WI
  • AlynnP1005
    Options

Hi hi! I'm going to share a link with you for your consideration. Binge eating is something that a lot of people struggle with, but when it is uncontrollable, causes you pain, or has become a sort of defense mechanism, it is actually categorized as a clinical eating disorder: http://www.nedic.ca/knowthefacts/foodweight.shtml

I don't know you and know this may not be the case, but if it IS the case - as it is for many many women and men - then it can be solved by delving into the root of those impulses, and finding ways to reroute those fears/anxieties/self-doubt. So again, I hope you don't find this offensive by any means! I speak from personal experience, and this has just been a recent theme in my own life.

Either way, totally something you can overcome, just dig in! Pull out a pen and paper, and be tough with yourself! What is it that's causing you to inflict this sort of damage on yourself? (<-rhetorical ;P) Of course, there are tons of resources out there to help you along the way.

ALL THE BEST!
    - Kat

I took no offense at all to your comments :) I agree completely.......I actually contacted an eating disorder clinic in my town, and they flat out told me that unless I purge when I binge (bulemic) then there isnt anything they can do for me. I thought it was horrible, so I contacted another clinic (this one at the hospital) and was told the same thing. Unfortunately, they dont think its a disorder :( Thanks for the link, I am checking it out now.
  • AlynnP1005
    Options
    Ugh I am so frustrated! It seems like I am determined to sabotage myself! I was doing pretty good for a few weeks, seeing some results and then BAM the bingeing comes back worse than ever. And its not even "junk" that I am attacking, I binged on yogurt and grapes the other day, which I paid for dearly since I have a milk allergy. And thats the thing! Its like I know I cant have much dairy, and I still go and eat it! I am really at a loss as to what to do.....I spoke to my dr and she said, not so bluntly, that it was all in my head. And I said, Yes I know that, but what can I do to get it out of there? She had no advice for me, but to contact the eating disorders group that I mentioned before, which wont help me unless I make myself vomit after I binge. Way to encourage bulimia people!
  • heather_boyd
    Options
    Hi there,

I think that there are a whole lot of people on this site who know how you feel, have been there before, are fighting the fight themselves and truly do care about you and hope that you can overcome this obstacle.

For me, I find that since the eating is essentially mindless and often just my brain filling in time (especially at work), as bad as it is to say this, if I do something equally mindless for an hour, an afternoon, whatever it takes (like reading endless posts, blogs, information about dieting, professionalism, whatever interests me at the time), I can blow that time without sitting there thinking about food.

I would suggest that maybe you consider taking a "stress" day or a "vacation" day from work if you can to get away from that atmosphere. I often find that at home I'm busy enough cleaning, taking care of the dog and my daughter that I don't NEED to eat, but here at work, even though I'm busy and in demand, it's easy for either my mind or my hands and mouth to wander.

Good luck... My husband is an insensitive jerk as well, but one day he woke up and realized that if I lost weight, I'd be happier and more productive and since then he's been a great inspiration and a partner in this journey.