Weakness foods!!!

Options
I blew it last night!! Chinese dinner with friends...and that's one of my weakness foods. It was awesome food but I know that I will pay for it. ~SIGH~ I realize that I still can't trust myself around my favorite foods. Anyone else experiencing this? If so, how do you cope in these situations?

Replies

• belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I eat it and work it off the next day. iIt's no big deal. To a certain extent that is.
  • sespinoza0614
    Options
    I've decided to give myself ...1 meal a week.....That way I'm good all week and on Sat. if I want pizza and a regular soda...Ill have it. Of course it's a meal I dont over do it.....
  • lsforbing
    Options
    My nutritionist says that you should not deprive yourself. She actually encouraged me to cheat twice a week but not to the extreme. A pizza day or chinese food once in a while is not bad as long as you dont over do it. Dont beat yourself up, it was good, and it is over. Today is a brand new day!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Just let yourself live a little and enjoy the food but get right back on track the next day
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    An acquaintance of mine had a heart attack several years ago and had to lose weight. His doctor gave him the following advice. If you really have a craving for something like fries, go out and order a big plate of them. Then eat them all and enjoy it. Then don't do it again for another month.

In other words, don't deprive yourself, just plan it right.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I make those kinds of foods a part of my life, so they don't become a "weakness". I'd go crazy if I didn't allow myself the things I love - I just had to learn to enjoy them in moderation. It's a much healthier mentality for me :-)
  • Hannah645
    Hannah645 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love Chinese food too! I still eat Chinese food, but I no longer eat at any of the buffets. I don't trust myself there haha. I order smaller amounts of take out now to prevent me from going wild. I'm sure you could find some lighter recipes online as well if you enjoy cooking.

Don't beat yourself up over it today though. One bad meal will not ruin everything!
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with most things, but I've found that I just can't do pasta anymore. I can not eat one serving (more like 6!) and I'll crave it mega bad for a week if I have one meal. Some day when I am in maintenance, I hope to add pasta back into my diet, but until then it's just too much of a weakness for me.

Other "bad" foods though, I just work them in.
  • cravingskinnybody
    cravingskinnybody Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Chocolate (Any bar of it or nutella)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    This thread sort of made me sad, I thought it was foods to make you weak. I recently worked out TOO much and now people tell me I'm too bulky for a girl, that I'm gross and I don't look feminine enough, I was hoping to eat some foods to make me weak again.

I heard bananas can do that, can anyone else vouch?
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    my weakness is sushi!! I eat it once a week! I also love hamburgers, really greasy ones so I will have an occasional one .. :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I blew it last night!! Chinese dinner with friends...and that's one of my weakness foods. It was awesome food but I know that I will pay for it. ~SIGH~ I realize that I still can't trust myself around my favorite foods. Anyone else experiencing this? If so, how do you cope in these situations?

Being on a calorie deficit is hard. You can't do this journey on will power alone. You must set up your environment for success. Have a team around you in your real life, not just online. Get trigger foods out of the house. It will take some sacrifice and it's not easy. You might have to say no to some social events sometimes.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    ice cream... the other night my husband, like most nights said, "I want something sweet, I wish we had ice cream." that was it I was a goner... I kept thinking DANG NOW I WANT SOME ICE CREAM, so instead of saying NO i got up- went to the store and bought a pint of ice cream and told myself okay there is 3.5 servings in this you can eat 1 serving and save it for later......... Lets just say I only had ice cream one night this week and felt HORRIBLE!!!!!!!
  • GodzillaR35
    GodzillaR35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Ice cream and apple pie for me
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    An acquaintance of mine had a heart attack several years ago and had to lose weight. His doctor gave him the following advice. If you really have a craving for something like fries, go out and order a big plate of them. Then eat them all and enjoy it. Then don't do it again for another month.

Oh i like this idea....
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options

^THIS!!

I love Chinese food, too, and have never deprived myself. However, I DO limit portions and cut back on the sauces. Plan ahead....and if they have it, ask for a nuritional guide for what they serve. If it's a buffet, fill up on salad and tea before hitting the other goodies. :)

For now, since the damage is already done, just forgive yourself and move on. Work out a bit harder, go for a longer walk, and try to go under your daily calorie count for today.
  • Flyer615
    Flyer615 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If I "accidentally" walk down the candy or cookie aisle at the grocery, I talk to it. I explain to the food that it doesn't have control over me and that I, alone, am in charge of my destiny. Of course, having these conversations out loud are not always socially acceptable. Mothers often grab up their children and take a different aisle. Was even asked to leave once when an argument broke out between a Nutter Butter cookie and me, but that's an entirely different story.

Endeavor to persevere.

Edited to say: I really do talk to the food ... just not out loud. It helps me identify the areas where I'm weak of willpower.
  • chowteach
    Options
    There are constant snacks sitting out at work...cookies from a classroom party, cake from a coworkers birthday party. Sometimes, I find myself picking up something on my way in AND out of the staffroom. I am definitely an emotional eater. However, I eat with EVERY emotion I have!

Keep trying. I found a food exercise that helped me figure out things I truly don't like, so I can often talk myself out of a few foods by remembering that I really don't like the food...I just want to eat.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    If I "accidentally" walk down the candy or cookie aisle at the grocery, I talk to it. I explain to the food that it doesn't have control over me and that I, alone, am in charge of my destiny. Of course, having these conversations out loud are not always socially acceptable. Mothers often grab up their children and take a different aisle. Was even asked to leave once when an argument broke out between a Nutter Butter cookie and me, but that's an entirely different story.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I STARE at the salty corn chips literally every time I go to the supermarket...and I never buy them. It's freaking hard because I know exactly how good they are.
    If I am at a friends and I am offered them I won't say no, but I only have a couple. I never, ever buy them