Tips for getting through the weekend

Options
Hi all. I've only just recently started tracking my calorie intake and have no problems through the week when I'm at work and in more of a rountine but seem to struggle more on the weekends. Does anyone have some tips that might help??

Replies

• Adrian211
    Adrian211 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome to the site. I can relate exactly. My eating is very structured Monday - Friday, but weekends are often troublesome. I often try to fit in more exercise during the weekend, or incorporate a hike, bike ride, walk, etc. as part of the weekend activities. What I struggled with in the beginning was not trying to go too overboard with sticking to my plan, and not allowing myself to have fun. What I encourage you to do is log everything, even from weekends, and get in more physical activity on the weekends.
  • anonymousKel
    anonymousKel Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I've only just recently started tracking my calorie intake and have no problems through the week when I'm at work and in more of a rountine but seem to struggle more on the weekends. Does anyone have some tips that might help??

i'm waiting with bated breathe for tips cos I struggle x
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've got an idea.....willpower
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Schedule your weighin for Mondays. Really makes me think about my weekend choices.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    or......I don't know....maybe, ummmm.....willpower?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I semi-plan my weekends. My breakfast is still my daily "usual". Any eating out or going to parties, etc, I make the healthy choices while there. I also exercise more on the weekends than during the week by playing sports. I still track my calories and am aware throughout the day of where I am on how many I have left.
  • maryfbeattie
    Options
    This is something I think a lot of people struggle with--I certainly do! For me, what has worked in the past, and what I need to get back into, is planning. It doesn't have to be perfect but planning will allow you to balance choices. Fri night, Saturday night and Sunday morning are tough. Pick one meal to cheat on and not worry about. Plan the rest or make good choices at restaurants for the other meals (salad, veggie wraps, grilled chicken, oatmeal, egg white omelette, etc). Also plan in exercise. Know that out of those three days you will exercise at least two.

Hope this helps.
  • vzryder
    vzryder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Schedule your weighin for Mondays. Really makes me think about my weekend choices.

I found scheduling weigh in right after weekends or even on Sunday very helpful too!
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    5:2 IF? Eat much lower cals during the week on two days and more on the weekend? Or give yourself some extra cals on the weekend and evenly subtract them from the rest of the week?
  • redshoes86
    redshoes86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - some great tips! I guess the first few ones are the hardest! Weigh in Monday is good motivation :)
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I've got an idea.....willpower

^ This, and keeping yourself busy. If I'm not working on the weekend I'm doing laundry, cleaning house, shopping, meal-planning, going for walks, etc. Bonus: you'll burn extra calories with all the running around.
  • trjolly1
    Options
    Welcome to MFP ! To help me through weekends I do alot of walking and cleaning things that don't need cleaning like the 16' walls in my home
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I eat less during the weekdays so I can eat more on the weekends. I also track everything (yes, even the chip binges!) and exercise to compensate. Cutting back on liquor and sugar sweetened bevs will also make a big difference.
  • Ichirohealth
    Options
    Hello, I too struggle with weekend overeating; i like the suggestin to exercise more. Now I need help with over snacking during the week. Any advise for health salty snacks?
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Eat a little less during the week, exercise and I usually eat just two meals... late breakfast/early lunch and dinner.
  • gafromga
    gafromga Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weekends are hard for me to but i downloaded the app to my phone and continue to track the good, the bad and the ugly. No matter what. Good Luck!
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh....weekends are the hardest for me too! That's when we used to order in pizza, get other fast food, or go out to eat a lot. The weekend just kinda signals, "let's eat"...lol. I wish I had some great tips to offer, buti really don't. I must make sure I have healthy choices available and now I cook instead of going out or ordering in. Good luck!
  • MrsSummerM
    Options
    I would get rid of just about everything that is not good for you in your home. I say just about everything, because it is good for you ro have a "bad" snack from time to time. If you totally deprive yourself, then you will binge like crazy. The snack(s) that you do keep, preportion them out to the suggested serving sizes (ziploc baggies, tupperware, whatever). You are less likely to over eat straight when the portion is preserved than if you were to eat right out of the bag, box, what-have-you. I mix good and bad, I make homemade trail mix, with regualr and peanut butter m&m's, making sure to have plenty of dried fruit and nuts in it as well. But the salty sweet is a great combo!

Hope that helps somewhat, I know it really helps me....PRE-PORTION!
  • MrsSummerM
    Options
    Healthy salty snacks:
    trail mix
    dry roasted salted nuts
    homemade chips (baked) - recipes can be found on line
    fruit with a dash of salt (I like mango, kiwi, green/fuji apples)
    celery and peanut butter
    apples and peanut butter
    airpopped popcorn with low cal butter mist and salt

Just to name a few
  • griffx12
    griffx12 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I exercise for extra calories and I make myself have at least 5 fruits and veggies to help fill up?? And I stay super busy - hope that helps!