meal planning - how you do it?

Options
I've never planned in advance not even in a daily basis meal planning.
But this lack of plan makes me to eat whatever is at hand good or bad when I am hungry

How do you do this? Is there a way to enter the plan in myfitnesspal for the following days?

thanks

Replies

• babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've done it both ways. Right now, I'm not on the ball enough to meal plan completely. So, instead when I cook for the family I cook an extra piece of meat, then I dice/slice up the extra, weigh out my portions and place in snack size bags (write on it the weight w/ sharpie). These I put in the freezer in a large freezer bag labled with the type of meat it is. I do the same thing with rice and quinoa too. When I'm chopping veggies, I cut all I have, in the way that I use it most often, then save the extra for future meals.

All of a sudden, I have a bunch of components ready to go for when I'm starving. I can put together a stir-fry, salad, or omlet easily with little prep-work. It is so nice. :)
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You can log your food ahead of time, makes it easy to see if you are running under/over before you eat.

I dont like "planned diets" where I am forced to eat only specific foods that I may or may not enjoy. For me is means sitting down on the weekend and figuring out what I have on hand and what is in the freezer . I do most of my cooking on the weekends and package everything up into single servings and freeze it, that way I can just take something out in the mornings and its thawed out by the time I get home from work, heat it up, add in some veggies and dinner is ready. After a while you have a nice variety to pick from.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have a calendar hanging in my kitchen for meals. I just write down what's for dinner on each day. It helps our grocery bill too cause I can buy produce the day that I need it instead of it going bad among other food. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I take a few minutes late in the week to plan dinner menus for the next week (I use a calendar on my computer) and use the plan to make a shopping list. I do a little shop early in the week to top up the produce and find that it really helps both in planning for MFP and in keeping the science experiments in the frig to a minimum. I've also started to have planned leftovers which I freeze for a day when there's no time to cook.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I typically plan my whole menu for the day either first thing in the morning or the night before laying in bed. My database has pretty much everything I eat already saved, so I just sit there in bed and think about what I feel like eating the next day. Typical day would be
    Breakfast: eggwhite omelette with lowfat cheese, spinach and turkey 160 cals,
    Lunch: quinoa salad, carrot sticks and hummus, 1 oz lowfat cheese, 260
    Dinner: 2 veggie burgers on sandwich thins with 1 oz lowfat cheese, ketchup and homemade coleslaw 510
    Snacks: 1 oz turkey jerkey, 2 oz grape tomatoes, an apple, 10 almonds 225
    Drinks: 3 beers 165
    Dessert: 2 grahm crackers with peanut butter and sliced banana 250

That's a 1400 calorie day I can sit in bed and input ahead of time. The key is to eat all of this, and only this. Of course this all depends on your calorie goals so this is just an example, but you get the point. Preplan and stick to it. Even if it's not convenient or a bit annoying. If it's not in the diary, it doesn't go in your mouth..period. If you pre-enter under your TDEE and literally never, ever eat anything that wasn't pre-entered, you will lose as much weight as you want. My wife and friends think I'm a freak, but I have a six pack, so F!@#'em.
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I had to start doing this even before I started my weight loss journey or my husband and I would bicker about what we were having every night! I go grocery shopping every weekend, so before I go I write a list of up to ten possible meals for the week and write my grocery list based off that. That list goes on my fridge and we decide on a meal first thing in the morning so I can defrost/prep whatever needs to be done to make that meal work for the day. I have a huge binder full of my favourite meals and i go through that to help with my meal choices. I love to cook, so i try and add one new recipe every week. I live a fairly busy life and plans can change from day to day so I can't force myself to sit down and write exactly what I'm going to eat on tuesday for example, but with the list, I find I don't over spend at the grocery store and it keeps me from eating high calorie unplanned meals that I then have to work out to justify eating.
  • grrlgeek
    grrlgeek Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A strategy that has worked for me is making a few meals or snacks fairly uniform to serve as anchors. For instance, an afternoon snack for me is a piece of fruit and some kind of dairy... cottage cheese, yogurt, string cheese, whatever. It stacks up pretty much the same in calories and nutrition, (i adjust portions accordingly) so if I have peaches and cottage cheese in the fridge, that's what I'm eating. Tomorrow it might be an apple and a 1-oz cheddar cheese stick, next day yogurt with extra fresh berries thrown in. Breakfast works the same way, fruit, some kind of whole grain something....

If you haven't done it before, it can be a little challenging in the beginning. Get the basics out of the way. Get accustomed to what you get out of a given food/meal as far as nutrients and calories. Learn relative portion sizes. Measure stuff for a while. It wont happen overnight, but eventually you will be able to plan on-the-fly. Enter these cookie-cutter snacks and small meals into a diary and see how they add up. Then with your bigger meals, fill in the large gaps, and then add some treats or adjust portions to meet your nutrition goals.

Cooking ahead also really helps! If you're hankering for rice, cook a big pot. Observe what a cup of rice will do for your carb count. Now add whatever you like with rice and if you cooked a big pot, you can do this every day until you run out of rice. Curry? Cook up a vat, then separate into meal portions and freeze some for next week, or eat off it for the week in an amount that will meet your goal. Stuffed peppers... oh man, these freeze so nicely. I make 10-12 when I make them. Veggies... easy, toss 'em on. If you're eating just any old thing that looks good when you're hungry, you'll be amazed how much easier it is to plan a healthy day's worth of food if you already have food prepared and ready to go - and have taken some time to get used to the nutrients and calories that food will provide.

Don't dwell too much on planning if you're just starting out. It will come. Sometimes, just writing down what you are eating (regardless of what that is) and then looking at it, will teach you subliminally that wow... if I had just cut that serving of noodles in half and added another cup of veggies, I'd have been at my goal.

Hope that helps :-)
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have some basics that are my 'typical' breakfasts and lunches dependent upon how much exercise is planned for the day. And I log everything at least one day in advance.

Also, when I know that a special event is going to happen I try to plan my cheat day around it (ie. Thanksgiving and Christmas. I know in advance that with family get togethers I won't be able plan my meals that are as healthy as I'd like so I'll make sure that I have light meals early in the day and hopefully it compensate for dinner with the family)

Hope this helps.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I've never planned in advance not even in a daily basis meal planning.
    But this lack of plan makes me to eat whatever is at hand good or bad when I am hungry

How do you do this? Is there a way to enter the plan in myfitnesspal for the following days?

thanks

yes, I used to do this all the time. You can enter tomorrows food, add things and take things off until you get it within your calorie budget. It's a great way to plan your meals and stay on track. You can always delete and add things if you change your mind.
  • AnnMombourquette
    Options
    I tend to plan ahead of time because it makes my week a whole lot easier. I generally plan, buy and prep on Sunday and know what I will be eating during the week. For instance, next week hubby is going away for work and I`m up at 6:00, do a paper route, on a bus by 7:30 and by the time I get home from work its 5:35. Long day, no time with trying to figure things out. So I will make chili in the crock pot on Sunday and that will be for suppers or put on top of salad, with nachos. I will cook a pot of soup to take as lunches and will cook chicken breast to go on salad or in the soup. I make a veggie salad that goes on top of lettuce that saves me from chopping every night. I will boil eggs for a quick breakfast or sandwiches and I even have containers with cut up veggies to throw in my breakfast omlette. I even go so far as to have a programmable coffee maker which comes on every morning at 6:30. It may seem like a lot of work on Sunday but it makes my week so much easier. When hubby is around, he makes meals in and around my ones. Another good tip is to have containers you use every day for lunch. I have one for soup, sandwiches and veggies/dip. I will sometimes enter my food the night before on MFP and know where my calories stand and lots of times I adjust if I need to. I learned how to plan ahead when I was a single parent of two small boys, and had 3 jobs! I could plan and buy for a month and just pick up a few things in between. It works.....give it a try. Good luck!
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I am a little obsessive, I think. I buy a LOT of whatever is super duper cheap as far as meat, canned or frozen veg, canned tomatoes, etc. The pantry basics. We get a co-op produce basket every other week on Saturday. After we get the basket, I see what I can work in from the produce and the freezer and also what else we need for the week. We kind of have standards that I buy every week as needed, so things like eggbeaters for me, 7-grain cereal for Robert, light fruit flavored yogurt for him, ff plain yogurt for me, wheat Montana bread for either toast to go with the eggbeaters or sandwiches, etc. I also add to the list the things we are out of like spices, cooking spray, that kind of stuff. We kind of wing it for lunch (which is my breakfast meal) based upon what is leftovers or what other thigns sound good. I try to add some fruit for that meal or a snack. Whenever I cook a meal, we eat it for two days. If it is more than 4 servings, then we either freeze it for busy or forgot to get something out to thaw days, or Robert has it for lunch the next day(s). I hae to buy fresh produce in between baskets soimetimes, and then I buy whatever is great and on sale, or if we want something special, I get that once in a while. I was on a strawberry kick for weeks and weeks when they were in season and must've eaten my wight in those darn things.

We used to eat out a LOT. It is expensive and I make better food ;-0 Having a plan makes it really easy to cook good food and we almost never end up at the drive thru or pizza place if there's already something on the menu that we like. We don't eat stuff that is icky, or that we don't enjoy. It's a lot of work because I spend a good bit of time cutting produce, grinding chicken breasts for burgers, meatbalos or meatloaf, sausage, etc. but I work at home, so I can fit in the time. I think if I was working out of the house like I used to I would cook ahead on the weekends or prep everything in the crock pot the night before and put it in the fridge then cook it the next day. That takes some organization, but worth the effort once you get into the habit.

Just how I do it and some folks seem to do just fine grabbing a frozen meal or pre-cooked and cut chicken strips, etc. Lots of grocery stores have great salad bars and pre-cut veg, too. Also some of them have meat that is already prepped so you just have to cook it. If you have plenty of money, it's easy to just grab stove/oven ready components and do the cooking part at home and let someone else do the cutting and seasoning for you.

Lots of ways work; you just have to figure out your own best way!

Barb
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    When I go to the grocery store, I go with the mindset that I need to buy things I need to make meals. I will buy some meat, fish, veggies and the things I need to cook them with like broth, canned tomatoes, mushrooms, seasonings (if I don't already have them). Then in the morning, I will go to the freezer and take something out that I can use for a meal.

I just got a new set and forget crockpot....it works great! Makes great meals with little prep.
  • pattychatty
    pattychatty Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have diabetes 2 , so my husband and I pay attention to what we buy , and he likes to grill so almost every nite he makes the meat (on the grill) and I do the sides , usually veggies. On more than one occasion he has talked me out of a bad choice
  • gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You can log your food ahead of time, makes it easy to see if you are running under/over before you eat.

^^ This
    + I have been doing this for few days now. It helps me know that I have eaten my share- now stop.